PDA

View Full Version : Brake calipers etc

Redrafa
05-03-2017, 05:21 PM
Right oh wise and wonderful forumites , I need to replace my rear calipers ( and discs , pads and dampers !) but funds are tight right now so was thinking to get some second hand ones , question is........
I have a b6 1.8t cab , exactly how interchangeable are the parts from a4 b6's in general ?
And if anyone has some great tips on changing the suspension nice n easy I'd love that too ;-)

Cheers

Andy

spartacus 68
06-03-2017, 01:12 PM
I'd be tempted to rebuild the rear calipers, but that's just me. You can get caliper overhaul kits from Bigg Red. If the caliper pistons are scored or corroded then go down the exchange route.

You'll need 7mm Allen key spanner, brake caliper rewind tool, spring compressors, new bump stops (Audi or Meyle), Lockheed red grease, thread lock, brake fluid DOT 4, copperslip, long nose needle circlip pliers, etc.

Rear caliper details here: Inside the Rear Caliper of a B5 A4 | Audi-Sport.net (http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/inside-the-rear-caliper-of-a-b5-a4.182572/)
This is for B5, but can't see B6 being any different.

Brakes, then don't skimp on decent parts. I've fitted Brembo solid discs and pads and never had an issue with pad transfer, scoring or heat spots.

Dampers, then a set of Bilsteins is the way to go. Audi will be about £150 each for genuine parts.

Full details here for removing rear suspension: B6/B7 A4: Suspension Removal and Install (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/114492-B6-B7-A4-Suspension-Removal-and-Install)

Check the handbrake cables while you're there. Any fraying at the ends or cable stretch, then replace.

Redrafa
06-03-2017, 01:36 PM
Cheers mate ,
Great knowledge , I am fortunate o have a mate at TPS so can get Audi parts at cost , won't tell you the mark up but Wow!
I can get dampers for similar cost to Bilstiens and would be stock replacements, is there any reason to choose Bilstiens other than cost?
Also the how to you linked. Same process for a cab?

Cheers dude

Redrafa
06-03-2017, 01:40 PM
Should add that it was only the calipers I was considering second hand as OEM even at cost is arm and leg

spartacus 68
06-03-2017, 06:05 PM
Cheers mate ,
Great knowledge , I am fortunate o have a mate at TPS so can get Audi parts at cost , won't tell you the mark up but Wow!
I can get dampers for similar cost to Bilstiens and would be stock replacements, is there any reason to choose Bilstiens other than cost?
Also the how to you linked. Same process for a cab?

Cheers dude

If you can get Audi parts, then great. Only mentioned Bilsteins, because I thought genuine VAG would be an arm and a leg. Bilsteins seem to have good reputation, hence my recommendation.

Check the coil springs when you're dismantling. Not unusual to come across a broken end that you were oblivious to.

Yes cabriolet will be similar to saloon.

Rob69
06-03-2017, 07:23 PM
I considered overhauling my B5 rear calipers in January, but when I got them off and saw the state of them went down the exchange route. you might be lucky and find some clean second hand ones but a bit of a gamble.
Should add that it was only the calipers I was considering second hand as OEM even at cost is arm and leg