PDA

View Full Version : Questions about my new Passat

Perry
24-10-2007, 02:08 PM
I say new, it's really 3 months old.

When turning the steering wheel when parking and the wheel is turned quite a lot there is funny noise. At first I thought it was the tyres turning on the road surface but now I'm not so sure.

Could it be that I have the, "Lights that go around bends" thing? How do I check?

Also, how do I lift the wipers? They hit the edge of the bonnet?

Another question is when I was messing around with the key fob by holding it after the doors locked. The windows closed then the wipers moved up and stayed up. I've tried to do it again but had no luck.

DSGboy
24-10-2007, 03:38 PM
Sounds a bit early to be changing wiper blades or whatnot but to move the blades out :-

- switch ignition on briefly and then switch it off
- move the windscreen wiper lever briefly down once

if do the second step quickly enough the windscreen wipers should move into the service position (ie pointing upwards). This can only be done if bonnet is properly closed.

caution: do not pull the windscreen wipers forward unless they are in the service position

On second point i can confirm the windows close or open by holding down the keyfob buttons, but i've never seen anything happen to the wipers. I have frequently nudged the wiper stalk getting out of the car and found the wipers in the service position on returning to the car - this confused me til i worked out what was going on.

carl s
24-10-2007, 04:24 PM
I say new, it's really 3 months old.

When turning the steering wheel when parking and the wheel is turned quite a lot there is funny noise. At first I thought it was the tyres turning on the road surface but now I'm not so sure.

Could it be that I have the, "Lights that go around bends" thing? How do I check?

Also, how do I lift the wipers? They hit the edge of the bonnet?

Another question is when I was messing around with the key fob by holding it after the doors locked. The windows closed then the wipers moved up and stayed up. I've tried to do it again but had no luck.

Perry, I had this when turning left. It was there from new more or less. It turned out to be the steering rack which VW replaced. Very common on Golfs, Leons, Octavias, not so common on Passats I'm told but they do share the same components. Hope this helps.

Perry
24-10-2007, 05:35 PM
Just come back from VW

Yep, I need a new steering rack.

Also the overhead compartment near the rear view mirror needs replacing as it keeps poping open.

I'm a bit p!$$ed off as it's only done 6K

Carl, I wasn't referring to changing the wiper blades just how to lift them up when washing the car.

carl s
25-10-2007, 09:26 AM
Just come back from VW

Yep, I need a new steering rack.

Also the overhead compartment near the rear view mirror needs replacing as it keeps poping open.

I'm a bit p!$$ed off as it's only done 6K

Carl, I wasn't referring to changing the wiper blades just how to lift them up when washing the car.

erm I didn't mention the wiper blades in my post sorry, you must be refering to the post by DSGBoy above.

The swap over of the steering rack was fairly painless so I wouldn't worry about that, just make sure they centre the steering wheel properly when you get the car back. You might want to drive the car down the road for a few hundred yards when you get it back to make sure it's straight. (mine is very slightly out, only a couple of degrees but annoys me when I'm really bored on a long drive :banghead: )

Regarding the reliabilityof the car, if it's like mine the rack was faulty from new, there was a lot in the motoring press a year or so ago about this fault in the VAG group cars. So I'd wouldn't blame the build quality of your car in particular.

iaint
25-10-2007, 10:41 AM
just make sure they centre the steering wheel properly when you get the car back. You might want to drive the car down the road for a few hundred yards when you get it back to make sure it's straight. (mine is very slightly out, only a couple of degrees but annoys me when I'm really bored on a long drive :banghead: )

I returned my car to the dealer for them to put this right for me. It's obviously quite a common mistake made when doing the steering column recall. You're right though Carl, it's not a big issue but is very annoying.

Cheers
Iain