PDA

View Full Version : Question Adblue Nozzle Adaptor

Rower1978
28-02-2017, 07:06 PM
Hi chaps,

Anyone know whether there is such a thing? I dread every time my adblue warning comes on and I have to spend 30min at the garage at the HGV adblue dispenser. The slightest pressure on the trigger and it locks out. Just wondering whether there is an adaptor that fits the adblue tank so you can fill up at the adblue pump on full pressure, therefore taking 30 seconds to fill rather than 30minutes as it does at present?

Cheers

Teddy41
28-02-2017, 07:36 PM
Not sure but you can buy adblue in tubs from most service stations if that would help ?
they come with a nozzle and a cap to re seal.

Rower1978
28-02-2017, 08:20 PM
Not sure but you can buy adblue in tubs from most service stations if that would help ?
they come with a nozzle and a cap to re seal.

Appreciate that, but way cheaper at the pump, around £10 to fill up. Just need a damn adaptor if there is such a thing.....

zurichman
01-03-2017, 08:53 AM
There are other posts on this subject that seems to suggest you require a magnet for the Adblue pumps. I'm sure other forum members will correct me if wrong. I'll be topping mine up on a monthly cycle. I was given the Audi connection pipe which vents the air out of tank on filling. Still takes 20 minutes though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amigo
02-03-2017, 04:16 PM
I have just had my first AdBlue top-up for my A6 Avant SE Executive after the warning message of 1500 miles left came up, and I went to the local dealer to top it up. The charged me £1.50 per litre and nothing for their time. They were implying that this is something that I can do myself, but I told them that for the warranty I wanted it done by them and have that explicitly in the invoice, which they said they understood.

For beyond warranty, though, I was interested in the device they had, one with an air overflow, i.e. two tubes, which then they used to connect to the 10l can suspended on a stand. Filling it up with 14l took about 5 minutes, which was not bad at all based on other people's experience, and the flow stopped automatically when the tank was full. I briefly searched online for such device, but couldn't find one. Anyone knows where can I find one? Failing that, the adapter for the garage pump would also be very useful.

bbrown1664
02-03-2017, 06:02 PM
How about buying a re-sealable bottle once and refilling the bottle at the truck pump?

Rower1978
04-03-2017, 04:29 PM
There are other posts on this subject that seems to suggest you require a magnet for the Adblue pumps. I'm sure other forum members will correct me if wrong. I'll be topping mine up on a monthly cycle. I was given the Audi connection pipe which vents the air out of tank on filling. Still takes 20 minutes though.

Does anyone have a link for where I can buy a magnet that can fit on the adblue nozzle?

zurichman
04-03-2017, 05:56 PM
Does anyone have a link for where I can buy a magnet that can fit on the adblue nozzle?

No sorry I don't but maybe next time at your local filling station ask the forecourt attendant where they get theirs.

fest0r
04-03-2017, 06:29 PM
They seem to be targeting filling stations and bulk purchase:

Elafix 40 filler neck collar for magnetic AdBlue nozzle (http://www.commercialfuelsolutions.co.uk/adblue/elafix-40-magnetic-filler-neck-collar.html)

AdBlue Nozzle Magnet - Fuel Dump (http://www.fueldump.co.uk/products/AdBlue-Nozzle-Magnet.html)

Magnetic Vehicle AdBlue DEF Tank Adaptor | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Magnetic-Vehicle-AdBlue-DEF-Tank-Adaptor-/262835979987) :aargh4:

At those prices I would modify an AdBlue spout with some gaffer tape and a few of these:

SODIAL(R) Magical Magic Tricks Pro Ring PK Strong Magnetic Mythical Decor Size 20MM: Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games (https://www.amazon.co.uk/SODIAL-Magical-Tricks-Magnetic-Mythical/dp/B00L8WNRWM/) :biggthump

...or 18/20/21mm Pro Strong Magnet Coin Finger Magnetic Ring Magic Tricks Props Tool | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18-20-21mm-Pro-Strong-Magnet-Coin-Finger-Magnetic-Ring-Magic-Tricks-Props-Tool/262460174476)

A6ian
04-03-2017, 11:06 PM
Them black/blue plastic adblue nozzle magnets adaptors don't work on the A6. I got one thinking it would. It doesn't.

Rower1978
05-03-2017, 02:51 AM
Them black/blue plastic adblue nozzle magnets adaptors don't work on the A6. I got one thinking it would. It doesn't.

So there's no solution to this stupid problem?

A6ian
05-03-2017, 07:33 AM
The solution right now is; fill from a container or fill from the pump and be patient. I'm told that there will be pumps for cars at some point but don't know when.

SMILEMAN
05-03-2017, 08:49 AM
Or go to a dealer at £1 a litre??

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

A6ian
05-03-2017, 03:21 PM
Or go to a dealer at £1 a litre??

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Dealers fill from or supply a container.

cheekeemonkey
05-03-2017, 08:23 PM
As I understand, all those magnets do is prevent you accidental putting diesel into your Adblue tank. The problem with the petrol station ones is their flow is high as they are designed for HGV adblue tanks which take considerably more than 12/24 litres!

It's easier to buy adblue on line in say a 20l tank which comes with a dual spout to allow quick and relatively mess free filling. Less than £19 including delivery so, 95p per litre. Not sure how this compares to the petrol stations?

you have to also be careful with Adblue that it can be easily contaminated so what you store and where is important.

Tripletrouble
05-03-2017, 09:36 PM
If Audi do it for £1.00 a litre, why bother going to the hassle when it costs 95p per litre to buy and then have the hassle of filling yourself? It's highly corrosive and generally horrible stuff.
Keep it well away from aluminium alloy. A lot of which is used to build our cars LOL.

cheekeemonkey
05-03-2017, 10:42 PM
If Audi do it for £1.00 a litre, why bother going to the hassle when it costs 95p per litre to buy and then have the hassle of filling yourself? It's highly corrosive and generally horrible stuff.
Keep it well away from aluminium alloy. A lot of which is used to build our cars LOL.

If Audi do it for £1 / litre then totally agree but I've heard it's more than that - £1.50-2.00 / litre for them to fill it up. I suppose it depends on which dealer etc.

ChuckMountain
06-03-2017, 10:58 AM
When my Adblue light popped on my local petrol station were selling 10 litre containers for either 10 or 12 that came with a nice two way pipe and apart from the weight it was dead easy to use, no spillage.

Rsheen
17-03-2017, 08:38 AM
What a pain in the neck diesels are becoming. With blocked dpfs and now the inconvenience of ad blue, not to mention all the new environmental bad press. I think it's petrol for me next time. Unless you do loads of mileage I feel dropping diesel is the best option.what do all you other fellow diesel owners think?

Tripletrouble
17-03-2017, 08:49 AM
I'm going petrol for my next car.

zurichman
17-03-2017, 09:15 AM
Rsheen exactly my thoughts. I love the torque and economy of a diesel but fear that the environmentalists will lobby government to place heavy taxation on diesel cars. Not sure what will happen to the truck industry!!
I for one am going petrol when I retire in 2019, RS6, Porsche 997 or RS7. The Porsche is the sensible choice as it holds its value. But......love Audi's.

johnsimcox
17-03-2017, 12:54 PM
Rsheen exactly my thoughts. I love the torque and economy of a diesel but fear that the environmentalists will lobby government to place heavy taxation on diesel cars. Not sure what will happen to the truck industry!!
I for one am going petrol when I retire in 2019, RS6, Porsche 997 or RS7. The Porsche is the sensible choice as it holds its value. But......love Audi's.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkJust changed my wife's 1.6 diesel golf for a 1.4 petrol one for this exact reason. Concerned that by this time next year at the end of the PCP term the trade value for small diesel engined cars would be through the floor. 2 years ago at the end of the 3 year period I had £2k difference in the trade value and the PCP settlement figure, in my favour. This time, admittedly 2 years into the 3 year deal so it means that I was still bearing a disproprtionate amount of the intial depreciation, the trade-in value of the car was lower than the PCP settlement figure by about £500. VW have already said that going forward they see no point in offering sub 2.0 litre diesels in the future because the cost of the emissions equipment is the same as the cost of the engine (ie engine 1500 + emissions equiment 1500) and it is therefore difficult to charge an economic price for the diesel car. Have to hope that when they launch the C8 Audi UK see fit to include the 1.8 and 2.0 petrol versions (or their equivalents) that are available in Europe in the C7