PDA

View Full Version : Options for Navigation

stevel1305
26-02-2017, 05:06 PM
My wife's just taken delivery of her second Up! A 2017 High Up in Honey Yellow which looks really smart.
The new model uses a flimsy plastic cradle and you have to download the Maps & More app onto your smartphone.
A bit of a retrograde step compared to the previous version IMO.

She finds the navigation software a bit clunky so downloaded Tom Tom Go onto her phone as an alternative. A much smoother interface and much easier to use - only problem is that the voice commands don't come through the radio speakers so my guess being that he Infotainment is only geared up for thier program.

Any ideas how to get round this ?
( If you turn off the Bluetooth the tom tom comes through the phome speakers but of course you then lose the hands free phone capability.)

royleblue
28-05-2017, 08:31 AM
Have you found a solution?
My wife was having similar problems using Apple maps in her TT. The voice directions would not work in the car. She solved it by going into settings in the app while connected to the car, which gives the option of playing the directions through the car speakers but does not disconnect the phone. I don't know if this is an option with TomTom.

stevel1305
28-05-2017, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the tip. i'll give it a go but will have to reinstall the Tom Tom app first, i'd given up on it and she's been using the clunky Maps and More app.
The smartphone interface is not as good as the older, dedicated navigation tool on her 2014 Up! - IMO but I guess that's the price of progress.

royleblue
28-05-2017, 09:28 AM
Hope it helps, Steve. I know she spent months trying to get it to work, but eventually found that the option in Apple maps only showed when connected to the car.
I know what you mean about the old Maps and More system in the old Up! We had one before and it was great.
My daughter is looking to buy an Up! so I will be interested in how you get on.

Phil