PDA

View Full Version : corrossion warranty rear axle ?

cameron1
24-02-2017, 11:53 PM
Hi Guys,

RE: 2015 Audi a3 1.6 TDi

Anti corrosion warranty

Problem 1 : Rear axle has large rust spots all over the axle.
Problem 2 : Water/condensation build up in the headlights.

Seeing that the car is under 3 years old and still has over 1 year of manufacturers warranty still remaining, i was wondering if anyone has any idea if Audi UK would honour warranty repair/replace for the above 2 problems?

Also has anyone else experienced the same problem with their car and have Audi accepted that this is a manufacture defect and have they honoured a warranty repair?

Looking forward to hearing from you all

Thanks
Cameron

Rob69
25-02-2017, 09:19 AM
I've seen underneath several cars 5 or 6 years old with quite severe rusting of the underbody steelwork, I've got a pal who had a 7 year old golf that had lived on a farm and it was rotten underneath, the black paint doesn't seem to be the best and there is no other sealant or treatment applied, it's just bare black paint. You could go and let them know your thoughts but I doubt you'll have any joy regarding repairs or repainting.

I got a 2015 Up! for my wife 18 months ago, a few months into ownership I got it up on a ramp and applied Dynax S50 to all the black steelwork, it's still looking good coming through 2 winters, A guy at work also applied this under his new golf last year. If it's bothering you, you might want to consider doing this once you've cleaned and touched up the rusting areas, I doubt Audi will do this for you but you could try!
You should get the headlights sorted under warranty though.

zollaf
25-02-2017, 10:31 AM
just had to sort my 80 out, had the axle and front subframe shot blasted and powder coated so should be good for another 20 years. see, audi used to be able to make em last, seems they have lost that magic touch.

Rob69
25-02-2017, 01:27 PM
I think the component suppliers (subframes, wishbones etc ) just give them a cursory blow of black paint and ship them out the door to bolted under the car.

zollaf
25-02-2017, 01:30 PM
should see the state of some newish korean things, proper rotten at first mot.. at least you can get parts for vag acrs, korean stuff you usually cant, even wishbones. mind you i have seen newish vag thats got more rust than my 80.. new cars are just not meant to last, simple as that, built to a budget.. a rather tight budget. best thing to do if its a keeper is to strip it down and rebuild it properly.. get everything blasted and galved or painted ..

Rob69
25-02-2017, 01:42 PM
You're right there, i think we'll see more modern cars (especially CR diesels) being scrapped before 10 years old as they become too expensive to keep going and worthless on the used market.

zollaf
25-02-2017, 01:43 PM
see so many though , esp anything common rail, with faults that people are trying to sell, cheap fix, only 25 quid on ebay, yeah right..

Rob69
25-02-2017, 01:52 PM
I saw a pals pain a few years back, 4 year old Ford Galaxy Ghia, umpteen thousand pounds worth to him . looks like it had a dripping injector which hydraulic locked the engine, bent conrod, 3k to fix that and still not running right, he was recommended then to replace all fuel injection gear, cut his losses and traded it in for way less than market value as poor runner.

zollaf
25-02-2017, 01:56 PM
method in the madness of running about in a few hundreds worth of old shed. sure i would be upset if i lost my 80, but it wouldnt hurt me financially, apart from the newsih tyres and sony dab stereo... and anything i have left in it, but the actual car, owes me nothing, i owe it..

cameron1
28-02-2017, 01:16 AM
method in the madness of running about in a few hundreds worth of old shed. sure i would be upset if i lost my 80, but it wouldnt hurt me financially, apart from the newsih tyres and sony dab stereo... and anything i have left in it, but the actual car, owes me nothing, i owe it..

I think you’ve got that wrong. How can you consider the legendry classic Audi 80 avant a shed, it’s not. Even though I don’t own one of these classics, it hurts me when I see a classic used as a work horse or being scrapped.
I don’t suppose you can post a few pictures of your Avant. There is certainly not many around.

Back to the topic – Seeing that my a3 is less than 3 years old, surely Audi UK should sort out the rear axle as it must come under Audi 12 years anti corrosion warranty? Or am I missing something here?

Thanks
Cameron

Rob69
28-02-2017, 08:21 AM
Without checking up, I'm pretty sure the 12 year warranty is 'perforation' ie. holes through the metal, and think it only covers body panels, you wouldn't expect the underside steelwork to still look all shiny black after 12 years would you? You've spotted the rust starting, see how you get on with audi.

Noony
28-02-2017, 08:59 AM

My A4 Avant is coming up to 17 years old, ok it has only just covered 71K but she drives like new and underneath is still rock solid and everything on it works except the auto dimming mirror but I love it.

Crasher
28-02-2017, 12:36 PM
The exterior paint warranty is three years, after this the corrosion warranty only covers "perforation rusting".

This is the Audi warranty info

Three-year paint warranty

All Audi vehicles are provided with a warranty for a period of three years from the date of first registration against any manufacturing defects with the paintwork.
The only preconditions are:

The defect must be reported to a member of the Audi authorised network as soon as it is discovered. This must, of course, be within the warranty period
The defect must not be due to external influences such as accident damage, climatic, thermal, chemical or industrial pollution, insufficient care or maintenance. This will be determined by a member of the Audi authorised network at the time of inspection

Body protection warranty

All current Audi vehicles are fully protected during manufacture against rust attacking the internal cavities of the bodywork for 12 years from the date of first registration.
The only preconditions are:

The defect must be reported to a member of the Audi authorised network as soon as it is discovered. This must, of course, be within the warranty period
The perforation must not have been caused originally by damage, neglect, insufficient care or maintenance, or by external perforation from the inside out
A member of the Audi authorised network must be advised about any perforation from the inside out immediately it is found
All body repairs will be carried out promptly in accordance with the manufacturer’s technical guidelines, using only approved parts and materials, in order to maintain the original level of anti-corrosion protection

Paint and bodywork warranty

The paint and bodywork warranty on manufacturing defects is three years from the date of registration.
If a defect occurs during the warranty period, an Audi Centre will carry out the necessary repairs free of charge, even if they did not sell you the vehicle. The follow conditions apply:
The defect must be reported to your Audi Centre as soon as it’s discovered and within the warranty period.
The defect must not be due to external influences such as accident damage (climatic, thermal, chemical, animal, bird) or industrial pollution, insufficient care or maintenance. This will be decided by a member of your Audi Centre at the time of inspection.
Anti-perforation warranty

All current Audi vehicles are fully protected during manufacture against corrosion attacking the internal cavities of the bodywork.
This warranty protects against perforation due to rust penetration from within the internal cavities of the vehicle to an external surface for 12 years from the date of first registration.
In the unlikely event of this occurring within the warranty period, a member of the Audi authorised service network will carry out the required repairs free of charge, whether or not they sold the vehicle to you. The following conditions apply:

The defect must be reported to a member of the Audi authorised network as soon as it’s discovered and within the warranty period
The perforation must have not been caused originally by damage, neglect, insufficient care or maintenance
The area giving cause for complaint must not have been previously repaired to a lower level of anti-perforation protection
A member of the Audi authorised service network must be advised about any rusting immediately

All repairs will be carried out promptly in accordance with the manufacturer’s technical guidelines, using only approved parts and materials in order to maintain the original level of anti-corrosion protection.

If you go into the dealer and ask them to change a rear axle because it has rust spots on it, be prepared to be laughed out of the building. There is no written or implied warranty against surface corrosion on any of the running gear, we even find it difficult to get Audi to deal with rust on the floor, like this 2010 A6

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd20/Crasher1964/4F%20chassis%20leg%20rust_zpsb4tpemwv.jpg (http://s222.photobucket.com/user/Crasher1964/media/4F%20chassis%20leg%20rust_zpsb4tpemwv.jpg.html)

Rob69
28-02-2017, 01:25 PM
I think they did things a bit differently 17 years ago.
My A4 Avant is coming up to 17 years old, ok it has only just covered 71K but she drives like new and underneath is still rock solid and everything on it works except the auto dimming mirror but I love it.

Crasher
28-02-2017, 01:28 PM
I think they did things a bit differently 17 years ago.

Yes they did, they built and painted cars properly to last! I have just been wondering around under a 7 year old Octavia and the underside is just one big patch of rust, roll bars, springs, subframe, spring plates, boot floor etc etc