PDA

View Full Version : Question aftermarket radio install

bpmattress
23-02-2017, 03:53 PM
I am considering adding an aftermarket radio from China to my 2008 VW EOS which has the simple AM/FM with 6 CD ( the CD changer does not work). My car does NOT have a back-up camera but the new radio comes with one. Can someone explain to me the process to add the camera. Also, does a base 2008 VW EOS have canbus? The instructions have steps whether it does or doesn't.t have this feature. Also, where should the GPS sensor be located? Obviously any help will be appreciated. (New member of the forum)

fest0r
23-02-2017, 10:39 PM
I have fitted a few of these to Fords in the past (Pumpkin units) and they were great value. I actually bought a separate reversing cam because I preferred the design and it came with small hole saw. I drilled out the area where the factory fit cam goes and mounted the new one. You run the cable back through the car and hook it up to the head unit. IIRC the canbus unit I bought ($30 optional extra) automatically detected when reverse was engaged, but there was a wire you could use for manual feed from a reverse light or similar.

The canbus unit also allowed for steering wheel volume/track controls to work too so I suspect it just means the package you’re looking at doesn’t include the additional control unit.

Canbus for Volkswagen car radio DVD Player - Pumpkin (http://www.autopumpkin.com/canbus-for-volkswagen-car-radio-dvd-player.html)

The GPS antenna needs line of sight so probably best placed centrally where the screen meets the dash. It was best to the far left or right in Fords with quick clear screen elements.

Unbeatable flexibility with Android etc. but the major drawback for me was the low quality built in amp. The head unit has RCA pre-outs so even a budget branded amp would dramatically transform the sound quality and volume.

Amazon.com: Rockford R300X4 Prime 4-Channel Amplifier: Car Electronics (https://www.amazon.com/Rockford-R300X4-Prime-4-Channel-Amplifier/dp/B00BF6HYBG/)