PDA

View Full Version : Tappets Problem, I cant figure it out!!!

Ventoro
24-10-2007, 10:01 AM
Okay on a number of occasions may 3 or 4 times in the last two months, my car has begun to loose substancial engine power. This only happens when the car is driving. The first two times it happened where shortly after i drove over some speed bumps pretty quick, the second was when i was on a bouncy stretch of road.

It seems to olny happen when i have half a tank or less of petrol, However the last few times it happened i wasnt driving on bouncy roads etc...

I had originally thought that i had got dirty petrol. I researched a little and discovered that it could have been that the bouncy ride had just upset residue at the bottom of my fuel tank, and subsequently bits of dirt would have found thier way to the fuel filter causing it to lose power. I would also have to keep the revs pretty high at this time to keep it running. Sometimes it would go away when i increase the revs, but it also comes back sometimes and takes 2 to 3 minutes to clear.

I stoped and turned off the engine, restarted it and takes a few tries and maybe a minute or two, to get it going again.

I have noticed a slight ticking from the top of my engine where the tappets are, Could it be these causing the problem, or could it simply be the dirt in my fuel tank....:zx11:

Ventoro
25-10-2007, 10:32 AM
In addition i was thinking that it could be the cam bearing?

TWVB
08-11-2007, 01:31 AM
defo not the tappets and defo not the dirty fuel
its a strange one
maybe electrical connection somewhere
does it only happen on bumps?
any more symtoms?

Ventoro
08-11-2007, 04:03 PM
defo not the tappets and defo not the dirty fuel
its a strange one
maybe electrical connection somewhere
does it only happen on bumps?
any more symtoms?
Its constant, you can only hear it when the bonnet is up, doesnt sound very serious, but just trying to get the car perfect, you know. it generally only happens when i have been on a rough road, when the car has been bouncing around.... it only happens too when there is 1/4 or less in the fuel tank? trying to find out if the ticking is linked to it...... prob not.

Its pretty anoying like, when it happens there is a loss in power and the exhuast noise gets heavy as if to say there isnt a constant feed of fuel getting to the engine,......
could it be the fuel pump?

onzarob
08-11-2007, 04:43 PM
Is it an injection engine or a Carb model?

Ventoro
12-11-2007, 09:38 PM
Is it an injection engine or a Carb model?
Not sure??? its a 2.0 GL