PDA

View Full Version : General Consensus on the B9 A4

mikecassie
18-02-2017, 05:43 PM
Hi,
I've been lurking here for a few years now, owned a B8 RS4 for a year but I've sold that and I'm looking for something less full on.
What's the views on the B9, is it an improvement over the B8?
What's the views on the different engines? I'm undecided whether to stick with petrol or use the black handled fuel pumps...
I'd probably stick with the estate version, but on the saloon does it narrow much when the seats are folded down? I need to fit a bikebox in the car and it fits just perfectly in the RS4.
I will be chasing my local Audi dealer for a test drive but they seem to be unable to pick up their phone the last two days...
TIA.
Mike

cowcatcher
19-02-2017, 12:02 PM
The difference is night and day imo. I had a B8 between 08 and 11 and the new one which I've only had for a month is a much better car. Much more refined, dash layout is fantastic and really looks the dogs whatsits. Mine is an S-Line 190ps TDI S-tronic; it's not RS performance by any shakes but has plenty of umpf and returns 60mpg on a long run.
What about an S4? I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mikecassie
19-02-2017, 10:05 PM
Cheers cowcatcher, I've had slower cars and found them ok but that was a few years ago. Not sure if dropping to the 2L TFSI A4 will be just too much of a drop after the RS4. I'd probably be better off with petrol, only did 7-8k miles this last year but as you say, the S4 would be a pretty good replacement.

noscream
19-02-2017, 10:42 PM
I have the 272 3.0 TDI Sline Quattro, the 200Kw 3.0 V6 pulls very strong from standstill, Torque is very strong (600Nm) but driving hard, it still returns city to city driving of 28-33MPG which is impressive.
The Tiptronic is tight and engages quickly, far better than old versions. 8 speed is excellent. I've had the S-Tronic 7 speed and the old Tiptronic and this does not disappoint.

If you like tight handling then 19" rims on 35 profile is a must as 18" rims can have a little less precession with 45 profile.
Overall the chassis is a big improvement, cabin feels good, virtual cockpit is excellent, all controls light white making everything look sharp at night and clear in the daylight.

Get a test drive.. if you like your RS4, try the high torque 3.0 TDI with tiptronic. Saloon or Avant.

jds68
20-02-2017, 08:00 PM
Hi,
I have pretty much the same spec as cowcatcher and I too previously had a B8 diesel which was a manual, this is my first automatic.
I would agree very much with the comparison made above, it's a generationally (is that a word?) different vehicle, way way improved interior, more refined steering and suspension, and beautifully finished.
The s tronic gearbox is lovely to drive, I've had to convert myself to the different style of an automatic, but its so relaxing but can be more engaging if you want with the shift paddles/sport mode, etc.
Economy seems pretty good, on a motorway I would say it is probably better than my B8 (very similar engines), about the same elsewhere.
I was nearly going to get a BMW 320D M Sport, but the interior just felt a bit dated in comparison with the A4 and I've never been completely taken with the 3 series looks, so pleased I didn't.

cowcatcher
21-02-2017, 10:13 AM
The existing 3 series (new car next year) is miles behind in refinement. Engine is noisier, cockpit is as dull as ditchwater and the ride is like a skateboard. However the 8 speed is slick. Audi every time for me!

Scott K
21-02-2017, 10:44 AM
We had an A4 B8 and the B9 is much nicer inside and more room. The only thing I didn't like was the screen which is stuck on the dashboard - it doesn't retract. Surprised the guys haven't called back but I know Scotty D has moved down to the old showroom which they are using for used cars now. Not sure if there have been other changes. The last 3 times we have managed to get a test for the weekend which gives you a better idea than 40 minutes round Aberdeen. Get it on the Colpy straight and see how it goes!! Suppose you will need quattro for the occasional snow out there.

cowcatcher
21-02-2017, 08:53 PM
The screen would be nice if it retracted into the dash. I'm guessing it's a cost issue. The one in my A3 had to be rebuilt as it came loose and rattled!

Scott K
21-02-2017, 09:36 PM
I was told by the sales guys that it was weight. Getting rid of the mechanism saved 2 kg.

mikecassie
21-02-2017, 10:49 PM
Scott K, yeah I'm planning on heading to Aberdeen tomorrow and see what I can get a look at and if possible test drive. Colpy is just a couple miles from my house, so it might be good to check a B9 fits in my garage ;-)
To be fair, I didn't leave a message, after a few rings I hung up each time. But they should have someone answering the phones...
Thanks for the other replies lads, I'm swinging more towards a B9 now.

mikecassie
01-03-2017, 10:02 AM
Well I've went back to the darkside of fuels with the B9. Collected an A4 Allroad yesterday and it seemed a pretty good car on the drive home from the dealer. Time will tell how it performs but on initial impressions I'll be quite happy with this one.

noscream
07-03-2017, 06:31 AM
The ZF Tiptronic feels sharpest in SPORT mode & will return similar MPG as in DRIVE, I've found...
I return 26-33 MPG in town to town & over 50 MPG on the motorway.

I think the 2015 RS4 has 420Nm torque and 430 BHP, the 3.0Tdi (600Nm of torque with 272 BHP) still feels good.

Nice thing is the engine develops peak torque @ 1500rpm which is practically from the off.

I know it's a step down from RS4 but the new chassis and layout makes the car feel really good. Enjoy....

mikecassie
07-03-2017, 10:00 AM
Noscream, yeah the car feels plenty quick enough with the 268 BHP (272PS). Just going between the different modes to get a feel for each one and see which one suits me best for different drives.
The RS4 had 444 BHP (450PS) and it was all at the top end or at least it felt like it, which made overtaking a noisy experience :-) It sounded great from inside but I think probably sounded anti social from the outside.
I'd not say a step down, a step sideways for me. It's a more useable car for the roads here and the driving I do.