PDA

View Full Version : Tow Bar on A4 Allroad

krsone01634
16-02-2017, 01:45 PM
Just obtained a quote from Audi for a tow bar for my A4 Allroad. A whopping £1609 !!!!

car is leased so concerned about bumper cuts etc, any advice?

spellsinger
16-02-2017, 10:26 PM
Just obtained a quote from Audi for a tow bar for my A4 Allroad. A whopping £1609 !!!!

car is leased so concerned about bumper cuts etc, any advice?

The (S-Line, at least) saloon has a pre-cut hole for a towbar, maybe the Allroad does as well?

spartacus 68
16-02-2017, 11:56 PM
Daft question, but are you sure the B9 Allroad doesn't have a detachable tow-bar already fitted? Only reason I mention it is I have 2012 B8.5 facelift Allroad and it has integrated Westfalia detachable towbar. My understanding is it was factory fit. Should be possible to fit without any cutting of bumper trim for a fraction of what Audi main dealer is quoting if it's not there. https://www.pfjones.co.uk/audi-a4-allroad-2015-onwards-bosal-detachable-tow-bar.html

regi72
19-02-2017, 11:59 PM
Hi I'm thinking of leasing an A4 1.4 avant and the decision on whether I get it is if I can get a tow bar fitted without any cutting or damage as likewise they quoted me £1350 at Audi! so any knowledge would be appreciated also cheers.

JW_Chester
06-03-2017, 03:26 PM
I have just taken delivery of a new A4 Allroad and I have a price from Towforce UK that is considerably cheaper (to retrofit a detachable, Westfalia who make Audi's). Looking at the underside of the car there appears to be a cutout ready for the tow bar. I am sure you can find a retrofit for sensible money. Both Witter and Westfalia offer A4 tow bars.

mikecassie
07-03-2017, 09:50 AM
There are plenty alternative towbars available for Audi and IIRC Westfalia made the OEM towbar for my Cayenne (same big happy car family after all). But this is the bit I'd be concerned about, the wiring... From what I hear these days Manufacturers will try to shift blame if at all possible, so if there's an electric fault they will try blaming the towbar wiring, even if Stevie Wonder can see there is no connection ;-)
Also just as an aside, my Uncle bought a Mazda CX5 and had an aftermarket towbar fitted by a Mazda approved fitter, luckily enough, as the fitter left a loose wire which earthed out and caused the car to stop. It needed recovering and 4 days investigations to find and repair the fault. As it was an approved fitter the repairs were done under warranty but if it had been himself or Jim at the nearest garage to him that had done the fitting I'm sure Mazda would've sloped everything and 4 days labour would've been a lot of money to cough up.

Scott K
08-03-2017, 10:55 AM
I think all the new allroads come with towbar preparation which will include the wiring loom. Check with PF Jones - one of the sponsors on here. They are very good with what is required. There may be coding required to prevent the rear sensors being activated when you are towing something.