PDA

View Full Version : Please Help A7 Quattro used for Towing a caravan

mart08
15-02-2017, 12:05 PM
After a but of advice please we currently have a 2008 Audi A6 Quattro 2.7 that we use to tow a caravan. It has just been written off in an accident so need another suitable tow car. We're currently looking at a Audi A7 3.0 TDI S Line Sportback S Tronic Quattro 5dr 63 plate, FSH, 245BHP, Quattro. We would have to get a towbar fit, but I'm just wondering if anyone else uses an A7 to tow. If so what are they like and any possible issues. Would the s tonic gearbox be Ok for Towing. Our current car had a tiptronic. Any advice would good. Thanks.

Scott K
15-02-2017, 01:44 PM
The gearbox will be fine as that is the only option on the A6 3.0 tdi apart from tiptronic on the bitdi. You may manage to find a tiptronic A7 as some of the early ones had them. The only issue I can think of is the rear parking sensors but most of the towbar companies can get this coded so the car knows when there is a caravan on the hitch. Have a search on the A6 C7 forum as I remember someone mentioning issues with 7 pin and 13 pin electrics - again, I'm sure someone like PF Jones could advise you.

mart08
15-02-2017, 07:02 PM
Hi Thanks for the reply. Could you confirm, the 2013 - A7 Quattro were looking at is advertised as a S Tronic, but the dealer (not an Audi Dealer) is telling me it is a 8 speed auto, with paddle shift? Does that mean it is a Tiptronic. Reading all the issues with S Tronic gearbox , I'm a bit worried about towing or even buying the car with all the possible issues on overheating and gearboxes faults. Again thanks in advance.

Scott K
15-02-2017, 07:16 PM
If it is 8 speed, it's tiptronic. It only gets into 8th above 60 so make sure you try it. There haven't been too many issues with this s tronic box but it must be serviced every 38,000 miles.