PDA

View Full Version : New user- Auto lock feature

grantyboy
09-02-2017, 08:49 PM
Hi all, I'm a new user to this forum but have owned and enjoyed Audi's for a good few years now.
I've just picked up my new A4 2.0 tfsi s tronic and am absolutely loving it. This is the first automatic I have ever owned and was a little worried that it might not suit me, time will tell but up to now it is a joy to drive.
Anyway my question is can the auto lock feature be disabled ? I know it has been possible to do so in the older versions of the A4 through the MMI.
I have searched high and low through the menu screens but can't find any option to do this.
I know it's a safety feature but the wife is getting annoyed that I keep forgetting to unlock the doors when I go to pick her up, especially in this weather.:zx11:
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jds68
09-02-2017, 11:58 PM
Hi there, I'm also a new s tronic owner never having owned an automatic before and although it takes a little getting used to I'm loving it too. Used the paddle shifters yet?

I don't think you can disable the auto-lock feature. Just looked in the online manual and on page 39 it tells you about the Auto-Lock feature but there is no mention of being able to disable it.
Previously I had a B8 A4 and I think that was the same, although I might be wrong.

I too have had to train myself to make sure I unlock the vehicle when picking my son up from his band practice on a weekend when he's carrying loads of stuff, else he just stands there looking annoyed!!

grantyboy
10-02-2017, 08:31 AM
I've had a quick go with the paddles but I'm mainly letting the car do what it wants, I'm still using the comfort mode as well, one day I'll pluck up the courage and stick it into dynamic. It's such a big change driving the S tronic I'm having to take it one step at a time.
I had the B8 and there was an option to turn off the auto lock. It was the first question I asked the salesman when I took delivery of this car, but he couldn't find it either.

jds68
10-02-2017, 09:05 AM
I tend to use the Auto mode 95% of the time, I don't think I ever use the Sport mode, but I have found the paddle shifters useful to have control over a downshift or two before accelerating to overtake or such like, changing up when necessary and then letting it go back into auto again. Basically how you would use a manual I suppose. For some reason it goes against the grain to use kickdown for just a quick burst of power, and anyway I think of it as more a semi-auto box than a traditional automatic.

I think with the central locking the only option is whether you unlock all doors at once or just the drivers. I will check in mine later to see if there is anything I've missed before. Personally I like that it locks as you drive away, I've had other cars that do that too and if it is an option I always have it on, but I know what you mean about forgetting when you want the thing unlocked.

spellsinger
10-02-2017, 12:49 PM
I tend to use the Auto mode 95% of the time, I don't think I ever use the Sport mode, ....

I sometimes slip it into sport if coming up to a busy junction as it prevents the Auto Stop/Start kicking in (so you don't have that moment when the car turns off just as you want to accelerate).

jds68
10-02-2017, 04:22 PM
Now that's a good idea...I didn't realise that would stop that happening, thanks.

I have been switching the stop/start off from time to time to avoid the issue you describe. Also giving the brake an extra squeeze can activate the stop/start which is fine sometimes, but I have had that catch me out a few times when you have to brake a little harder than expected and the damn thing cuts out, then starts again as you release the brake to move off again. I think this stop/start system needs a bit of work...

spellsinger
10-02-2017, 05:03 PM
... Also giving the brake an extra squeeze can activate the stop/start which is fine sometimes, but I have had that catch me out a few times when you have to brake a little harder than expected and the damn thing cuts out, then starts again as you release the brake to move off again. I think this stop/start system needs a bit of work...

I've found (with practise!) I can finesse the Start/Stop using the brake pedal about 90% of the time. Also as I have mentioned before, on older models, using the parking-brake would always re-start the car, so that software is now improved - it bugged me no end not being able to put the parking-brake on without the engine starting.

grantyboy
10-02-2017, 05:09 PM
I try to disable the stop/start feature as soon as I get in the car, I have never liked it on my previous models and just find it annoying.
I'm going to try experimenting with the paddles, it's all a bit alien to me at the moment but I'm sure it'll not be long before I get the hang of it.
As for the auto lock, I'm popping in to the dealership this weekend so I'll ask about it while I'm there.
If anyone else has any driving tips or advice regarding the gearbox I'd love to hear it. I really want to get the full driving pleasure out of this amazing car.

jds68
10-02-2017, 06:58 PM
I've found (with practise!) I can finesse the Start/Stop using the brake pedal about 90% of the time...

Yes me too, but I still find that all of a sudden it cuts out momentarily when something unexpected happens, and you definitely do not want it stopping when you want to pull out on an island or similar in a hurry.

I always feel that I want to use the start/stop and that it would be better in an automatic, having previously had it in a manual B8 model, but more and more I switch it off.

What I do find good though at a long lights change for example, is to put the parking brake on, then release the foot brake, and the engine stays off (if start/stop is working) and when you are ready to pull away just touch the accelerator.

Also, another handy tip if you didn't already know, is when you pull up at the end of your journey and you've just reversed or parked or whatever, whilst holding the foot brake just switch the engine off. G/box goes into Park and usually the parking brake comes on automatically too, just check the light is on.

grantyboy
10-02-2017, 08:27 PM
Just been reading another forum about the auto lock function, some pretty cool pics attached of the MMI screen under the central locking menu.
There's a big discussion going on but it looks like it can't be disabled.
Oh well, looks like I'm going to have to live with it, or should I say the wife is when I've locked her out of the car :Blush:
If this is my only gripe then all is well with the world as far as I'm concerned.

porty
18-02-2017, 06:24 AM
My S4 is the first automatic that I have owned and, whilst I won't deny that it did take some getting used to, I do now love it. I have had Audi service cars for up to 5 days in the past that were automatics and thought I'd never want to buy one, but I had no choice if I wanted the new S4 to replace my old manual S4. However, as I've said, I now love my auto - I think I needed about a month of living with it to fully appreciate it - just shows opinions can change!

However, in terms of the stop/start system, I find in truly annoying. In both my B8 and B9, I turn the system off as soon as I start the engine. So my emissions won't be as low as those stated in the brochure, but, as we know, mine aren't the only Audis that fall into that category!