PDA

View Full Version : MIB II (Discover Media) - Passat B6 retrofit?

MarkC89
06-02-2017, 10:56 AM
Hello,

I was recently looking around to upgrade from the bog standard radio in the Passat b6.

Anyhow, after some thorough searching I decided on the RNS-510 with DAB. I found a couple online and had pretty much decided which one to buy, that is until I came across the MIB II (Discover Media) and was taking in by the possibility of CarPlay.

Now after many hours of more thorough searching on several forums I believe there is a problem, simply due to the system software itself. As far as I understand, there are 2 problems about this retrofit (although I know many people are working on a workaround). The first being component lock, although, I believe this can be easily removed by a VW dealer after giving them some monies to do so and proving you didn't steal it. The second being an issue with functionality being locked when it comes to the Nav system, as this is something tied in with the VIN of the vehicle and again as far as I have read this is not possible to change between the new VW's and the older models.

Could anybody shed some light on this, please? Perhaps somebody has done this or is interested in doing this?

I did a quick forum search to see if this had been raised before but I couldn't find anything.

Thanks