PDA

View Full Version : 97 tdi a4 miles to tank

JPQuattro
23-10-2007, 06:24 PM
Can anyone advise how many miles to a tank and mpg I should roughly be expecting please for 97 a4 avant tdi quattro?

I seem to be getting about 450 to the tank?

on the trip computer thingy it says average 39.8 gallon, not that i trust these things!

is this low for general use, well 10 mile commutes through town , some lanes.

Many thanks in advance
Jamie

andysuth
23-10-2007, 06:58 PM
Can anyone advise how many miles to a tank and mpg I should roughly be expecting please for 97 a4 avant tdi quattro?

I seem to be getting about 450 to the tank?

on the trip computer thingy it says average 39.8 gallon, not that i trust these things!

is this low for general use, well 10 mile commutes through town , some lanes.

Many thanks in advance
Jamie

Me, in a A4 R Reg (Feb '98) 110BHp, 1.9 TDi, just under 100k on clock, I'd be crying if I only got 450 miles to a tank.

I'm on BioDiesel now (100%), but when I was driving on normal diesel I'd get (best: Motorway driving, approx 60mph/2000rpm) 55.3mpg, or 705miles to the tank. Or city driving 42-44mpg or 575miles per tank.

This is from figures of diesel at pump and total milage between full tanks. It's backed up by the long term average (since purchase of the car) being 46.5mpg which is what I'd expect from the weighted average of those figures (ratio of motorway miles to city miles).

Best tank of BioD was just shy of the 55.3mpg: it was 54.2mpg.

If I got under 550miles to a tank, I'd be checking for fuel leaks and jammed breaks.

-AS

adamss24
23-10-2007, 07:15 PM
Its a quattro so a lot of the power will get lost trough the transmission, so i think is ok for the way you comute.

JPQuattro
23-10-2007, 07:21 PM
what is the actual capacity of the avant tank?

Ignore question, have found it in manual , 60 litres

I only just touched into the red so wonder how much reserve there was.

cyclogenesis
25-10-2007, 03:58 PM
I get at least 700-750 miles on a tank in mine. Mostly motorway driving. Check that your hoses are not split as you may be overfuelling. (Post turbo)

andysuth
25-10-2007, 04:26 PM
I get at least 700-750 miles on a tank in mine. Mostly motorway driving. Check that your hoses are not split as you may be overfuelling. (Post turbo)

What's you driving?

My best was 705miles, but that wasn't bone-dry (probably about 6 litres left in tank).

Do you run almost to the bottom of your tank, or fill up once the light tells you?

Cheers,

-AS

cyclogenesis
25-10-2007, 04:59 PM
18000 miles a year. Sit at 75, don't roust it too much. Keep tyres inflated. Normally get about 100 miles per graduation on the fuel guage, reduces at it gets lower. Usually fill up after fuel light has some on. Reckon I could squeeze 800 miles if I had the bottle and a spare fuel can in the back.

I have had a couple of split high pressure hoses in the past. This resulted in lots of smoke out the back and reduced MPG. A good place to look is down the offside of the engine where the hose goes down. This can rub against the heat gaurd and split the hose.

JPQuattro
26-10-2007, 09:49 PM
I dont know if this is related but I found a wide pipe at the top of the engine has a split in it - seems to be something near the head, about 2 " diameter. I assume it is part of the air feed to the engine.

I also took the maf sensor out and cleaned it ...heres hoping in the morning

JPQuattro
27-10-2007, 11:20 PM
I had the car hooked up to diagnostics today and the (independent) mechanic drove it - he said that the engine feels flat and sure enough the diagnosis showed maf fault.

Have ordered a new maf, hopefully will sort things - he certainly suggested that it is most likely.

cyclogenesis
30-10-2007, 11:36 AM
JP,

The pipe you refer to is on the high pressure end of the air system. You can make a temporary repair using cloth hose repair tape. The parts are about £15 from VAG and very simple to change. As you put your foot on the accelerator, the compressed intake air will be spilling out of this pipe. The engine will run rich and you will see lots of smoke (partially burnt fuel) pouring out of your exhaust. Check all the hoses, replace them and you should get your economy back!

JPQuattro
30-10-2007, 07:45 PM
Thanks Cyclo, I am indeed getting significant black smoke! and not pulling well especially up hill