PDA

View Full Version : Camshaft sensor locations - Help

Overdose
03-02-2017, 03:48 PM
Would someone please be able to confirm the location of camshaft sensor G40 on the 4.2L V8 petrol engine?

I have a G40 / G28 speed sensor correlation problem that I am trying to resolve.

17748 Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) / Engine Speed Sensor (G28)
P1340 - 001 Incorrect correlation - MIL ON

I believe this is on bank 1, passenger side?

Many thanks

Edit: A part number would also be great!

FLAPPERJACK76
03-02-2017, 09:44 PM
Back of head near the bulkhead would be my guess for g40. Hmm sounds like valve timing issue to me. I change a lot of cam sensors and crank sensors on vag car's but it usually throws up a fault with one or the other g40 or g28. Last correlation fault I had was on a t5 2.0 diesel and that was down to the valve timing out by one tooth.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Overdose
03-02-2017, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the reply. Just had the engine retimed, as I suspected that the error was timing also. Timing was out by maybe 1/2 tooth max, but not right in any case.
The history of the car is that it has sat unused for about a year and has been damp inside with a blocked plenum chamber. All manner of problems were apparent on the first auto-scan.

Most are now cleared, but I will be giving the car a shakedown now that it is roadworthy again. I picked up a cheap sensor, so will replace that in a week or so, once the faults have settled down. Will report back when done.

Overdose
08-02-2017, 05:15 PM
For info, camshaft sensor G40 is on bank 1 and at the front of the engine.

Looking at the engine from the front of the car, this puts it front left of the engine and it's next to the camshaft drive sprocket.

Still waiting for the sensor, wiring appears to be fine, did find the changeover valve seized in the intake house however.

I don't know what this would throw up in terms of faults, but would reduce efficiency of engine.

Overdose
06-03-2017, 11:27 AM
The screen grab below shows the missing info on the sensor, so I'm guessing it's related to the problem.

I have replaced the sensor and did manage to see a very brief reading on the No.1 phase, but this disappeared almost immediately, so I am suspecting a wiring problem. This may also be linked to a number of engine related fault codes that also exist. (see other thread (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/181762-V8-Touareg-engine-MIL-and-codes))