PDA

View Full Version : For those still wondering 2.0 or 3.0?

Akash
03-02-2017, 12:39 PM
I just dropped my A6 2.0 FL in for a health check, a mirror folding issue and apparently an MMI update/recall due to a "tone sounding". No idea what that is about but anyway...
I picked up a A7 3.0 272. I cannot believe how good of an engine it is. It's the first time a car put a smile on my face since a 458 I drove and lets face it, thats a much more OTT car than a 4 door saloon.

the 272 3.0 engine is quiet compared to the a 2.0 (v6 vs 4 cyl?), but ultimately, it's that instant power it gives which is amazing. That with the smooth gear changes and just a refined feeling...

So for those who still wonder/ask which one to go for ... go for the 3.0!
I was kicking myself when I went for the 2.0 having already had a 2.7 and a 3.0 C6 back in the day but on paper, the new 2.0 compared to the old 2.7 had little to no difference however I have felt always a slight disconnection with the car. The A7 however was completely different... that connection was right back and felt so much more comfortable in it.

Did have a quick look at the price of a 3.0 and realised there are 3 variants, the standard, this one and the bi-turbo all resulting in one fact that the 272bhp engine is too much £££ currently for me so it won't happen

Ah well...few more days with it and back to reality again

G7FORE
03-02-2017, 09:36 PM
Hi I have to agree with you. I was given the A6 all road 272 as a loaner and I cudnt believe the pull it had. Defo licence loosing power. Also some of the gadgets it had. Iv never liked autos but on that engine it works so well. And then add the adaptive cruise control and the active lane assist, and well it's near as damn to a car that will drive itself. Until I had tried them I thought they were just gadgets.

AK88
03-02-2017, 10:26 PM
had exactly the same feeling when I was given a new a8 for a few days, 3.0, massive spec and was massively quicker than my a7, had some real fun with it!

L1oydee
13-02-2017, 04:56 PM
Yep, once you've experienced the torque of the six cylinder there's no going back.
I have had a succession of 3.0 diesels, both Audi and BMW and the torque delivery is addictive not to mention they sound so much better than the four pots, which, lets face it sound like a bag of scanners in a washing machine.

ukgroucho
13-02-2017, 06:50 PM
This has been a repeated discussion - especially when people say the "low powered" 201 / 215 bhp does not provide much more power than the Ultra's 190 bhp. It's the torque - and the torque at low revs - that makes it WAY more driveable. And because you don't have to rev it to make progress you make much easier "more relaxed" progress - and probably not that much worse fuel economy. Of course if you drive an Ultra like a Nun then you're going to see better economy than the V6 but where's the fun in that :)

The other factor (of course) is quattro - but that is a different discussion.

Dutch Paddy
14-02-2017, 03:08 PM
If I had the choice without having to consider re-sell value and insurance etc here in Ireland I would not hesitate one moment and go for the 3.0. There is no comparison whatsoever, a 6 cylinder just drives so much nicer, the torque make all the difference. I had 6 cylinder diesels before and for example the Mercedes version was brilliant. Problem here is that a 3 ltr is very hard to shift in the used car market and it even had a big impact on my residual value on PCP. I'm only 5500 kmtrs in to my 190 Ultra and I am sure I'll be happy with it once all horses have woken up. Bit still, I could be tempted in 2 years time when the change is on again...

Akash
14-02-2017, 03:56 PM
Maybe I should look over there for deals on 3.0 cars!
I've had 5 main dealers give me completely different amounts for valuation ranging mainly from 20500 to 23k but this morning I got one for 19,000 - some 800 less than even webuyanycar.
If mine doesnt shift to at the very least settle the finance, theres no shifting onto a 3.0 for me until my HP term ends

Dutch Paddy
14-02-2017, 04:49 PM
There isn't much choice here in 3.0 models and the ones that are available are normally imports from the UK lol. Irish cars are less well specced and they use different model designations. My A6 is an SE Business which I don't even think you can get in the UK. But then you have the SE Executive I believe which we don't have...

NewAudi
14-02-2017, 11:03 PM
Maybe I should look over there for deals on 3.0 cars!
I've had 5 main dealers give me completely different amounts for valuation ranging mainly from 20500 to 23k but this morning I got one for 19,000 - some 800 less than even webuyanycar.
If mine doesnt shift to at the very least settle the finance, theres no shifting onto a 3.0 for me until my HP term ends

UK prices are a joke!

Sold mine 2 weeks ago, in less than 24 hours! 2014 BiTdi, like new, with pretty much everything, 44000 mls, for €44000. Nice profit too as the release of the lease came to just under €37900. Not bad considering it was just under €90K new!

istate75
16-02-2017, 03:08 PM
This has been a repeated discussion - especially when people say the "low powered" 201 / 215 bhp does not provide much more power than the Ultra's 190 bhp. It's the torque - and the torque at low revs - that makes it WAY more driveable. And because you don't have to rev it to make progress you make much easier "more relaxed" progress - and probably not that much worse fuel economy. Of course if you drive an Ultra like a Nun then you're going to see better economy than the V6 but where's the fun in that :)

The other factor (of course) is quattro - but that is a different discussion.

I don't think the differences in fuel economy figures in the real world are as big as you might expect between the 2L and 3L.

I have recently replaced my 2.0TDi 177PS S line Multi with a 3.0TDi 272PS Quattro Black Edition S Tronic. I do the same journeys I did in my previous car as I use it for work. In my 2L my average consumption was 47-48mpg sitting at 75 mph on the motorway, with sections of 50mph roadworks and some town driving. Doing the same journeys, when the 3L was fresh out of the box, I was averaging 36-37mpg. I've now covered just under 4k miles and that is already up to 44mpg. I don't drive like a nun, but I find I don't need to boot the 3L to get progress. I do expect the 2L 190PS ultra to be far better on fuel than my 2L 177PS, in particular I think the multi box was power hungry.

To add about other comments, the engine is quieter, smoother and goes like hell. You really don't need to push the pedal much at all. At 75mph, it's only doing 1600rpm. It always puts a smile on my face when I pull off my driveway in the morning and go up a small slope to the end of the road. It has a nice low burble. So much nicer than the rattle of my old 2L.

Dutch Paddy
17-02-2017, 03:26 PM
I think you mean UK prices, cars in Ireland cost a fortune compared to the UK and even Germany...