PDA

View Full Version : Matrix : Headlight Assist

ivwaudi
03-02-2017, 02:57 AM
My new A4 is with Matrix headlight. I activated headlight assist by pushing the indicator stalk away, and I got the hi-beam ison lit up in white (as opposed to blue when hi-beam is switched on) with the 'AUTO' wording.

But when driving, it doesn't auto trigger the hi-beam i.e. the hi-beam icon does not change from white to blue.

Is something wrong ?

I tried changing the setting in MIM-vehicle setting-exterior lighting menu, but the [activation time - early/medium/late] confuses me even more....

spellsinger
03-02-2017, 03:30 PM
I tried changing the setting in MIM-vehicle setting-exterior lighting menu, but the [activation time - early/medium/late] confuses me even more....

Two things:

Firstly - Below the early/medium/late setting there is a tick box "Main Beam Assist" make sure this is ticked? (the early/medium/late is nothing to do with the Main Beam Assist - it decides when the headlights switch on in relation to how dark it is outside)

Secondly - And sorry for asking! Is your light switch set to "Auto"? Regarding your attempts - did you push the stalk forward a second time, pushing the stalk each time will (or should) scroll through, auto - all-white icon and then the blue main-beam icon.

ivwaudi
03-02-2017, 03:49 PM
I just tested the Headlight Assist again, with light switch at [auto] , and headlight assist activated by pushing indicator stalk forward, with [white HighBeam auto] icon lit. I noted that the icon changes to blue in really dark situation. I will try to ask Audi service to use VCDS to try to reduce the light threshold so that matrix highbeam can be ON more often.

Alan02
03-02-2017, 07:58 PM
It will only work when the sensor in your rear view mirror housing detects no streetlamps or on-coming vehicles....ie. when it needs to.

ivwaudi
04-02-2017, 03:26 PM
It will only work when the sensor in your rear view mirror housing detects no streetlamps or on-coming vehicles....ie. when it needs to.

OK, I managed to use neutral density film to cover the camera lens and rain sensor. This fools the headlight assist into thinking the ambient light is darker , and bingo, main beam is activated more often in the same route.

I will need to check if Audi can tune the headlight assist parameters to get me the same effect.

ivwaudi
05-02-2017, 02:25 AM
for the benefit of other matrix users, I found out by experiment that there is no need to tape up the camera (the area with a trapezoidal window on windscreen above rain sensor). The critical part is the light sensor , which looks like a small light bulb or LED , around 5mm in diameter. Tape it over with ND smoke color tape, and the main-beam activation threshold can be lowered.

porty
18-02-2017, 06:36 AM
I have the matrix headlights on my S4 and the system seems to work perfectly. I was driving in some light fog one day and you could see the system working - ie. when it encountered traffic on the opposite carriageway on the motorway, it kept on full beam on (ie. blue dashboard light lit), but turned off those lights that would have dazzled vehicles on the opposite motorway carriageway, automatically turning them back on when the vehicle had passed.

Silverbeard50
18-02-2017, 09:16 PM
I have a 2017MY A4 Avant with Matrix LED lights and they work perfectly. There is an adjustment on the MMI to set the delay for activation of the lights. You really shouldn't need to use film on the sensors if the calibration is correct from the factory; cameras, lenses and sensors mounted on the windscreen need to recalibrated if you have the windscreen replaced, even with an OE glass.

ivwaudi
19-02-2017, 07:42 AM
thx, sure I will Audi servicing to set up the matrix headlight correctly. I guess the factory setting could be tuned for Germany countryside, which is pitch-black at night.

hotfire2009
13-11-2017, 04:36 PM
Lights have to be on Auto for system to work

hotfire2009
06-03-2018, 09:35 AM
I think you'll find it only works when lights are in Auto and not main headlight setting