PDA

View Full Version : BRIEF INTERMITTENT POWER LOSS - the mechanics nightmare ?

QQQO
27-01-2017, 01:30 PM
Greetings from Oz !
I'm an Audi TT / TTS owner for past 10 years and bought my latest TTS from a Authorised Audi dealer 3 months ago.(2011 model with only 15,000Km on the clock - Full service history - must have been used for a trip to church on Sunday)
I had it fully serviced with the 60,000Km service completed before I would buy it
It runs like a dream but ....
The problem
Intermittent power loss problem - it's brief but there was a definite power loss of a few seconds - no lights go on and the engine runs normally - just no acceleration!
Its last for a few seconds and usually when I have decelerated and about to accelerate again e.g. at a roundabout.
It first occurred 6 weeks ago and then 4 weeks ago. No problem again until this week when it has occurred again daily over the past 2 days and it definitely had nothing to do with me.
I usually drive the car in semi- auto and thought that I must have had it in auto and inadvertently knocked it into neutral - that's what it feels like.
Its now booked into the local Audi dealership for diagnostic tests next week.
Any ideas ?

HAWKS
28-01-2017, 01:16 AM
Are you sure that its not just the box getting used to your new driving style.
it doesnt take long for the box to change to your new style of driving.
My 3.2 started to change down to 1st at 20mph. That was due to me doing manual change downs(paddle shift).

QQQO
28-01-2017, 03:44 PM
Are you sure that its not just the box getting used to your new driving style.
it doesnt take long for the box to change to your new style of driving.
My 3.2 started to change down to 1st at 20mph. That was due to me doing manual change downs(paddle shift).

Thanks Hawks - definitely something amiss.
Last time the car coasted along for a few seconds through a roundabout with no response when pressing the accelerator.
I have been lucky in that the roads have been quiet when it occurs.
Over the past 3 months it has occurred perhaps 6 times ( the car is used daily and runs perfectly at all other times - goes like a rocket in fact ! - and I cannot get the car to duplicate the fault , no matter how hard I try)

HAWKS
28-01-2017, 05:19 PM
Thats no good.
Take it back to the garage you bought it from. Does it have any warranty?
A fault code should have been stored. They can reset the g/box, but it could be someting more seriously wrong with the g/box.
Good luck.

QQQO
29-01-2017, 11:34 PM
Thats no good.
Take it back to the garage you bought it from. Does it have any warranty?
A fault code should have been stored. They can reset the g/box, but it could someting more seriously wrong with the g/box.
Good luck.

Thanks Hawk
I bought it from an Audi dealer in South Australia.
It is still under warranty and they have agreed to cover the cost once it is diagnosed by the local Audi dealership on the Gold Coast :)
I will let you know what they find wrong

HAWKS
11-02-2017, 10:40 PM
Any news on how you got on with this issue?

QQQO
12-02-2017, 05:12 AM
Any news on how you got on with this issue?

The local Audi dealership could not find a fault:(

Basically they said that it could be a number of problems but with it being such a short lived and intermittent problem it will be hard to detect.
They updated some software but the car had the same problem with a brief power loss in semi-auto the next day !

I have now changed my driving style - no longer driving in semi auto but driving either in auto or sport mode and using the 'flappy paddles'.
No recurrence of the problem - yet.
If that is a work around for the problem then I am 'happy'
Will keep you updated

niall campbell
12-02-2017, 06:12 PM
when you say engine runs normal ...................... is the engine revving really high and you just don't have any acceleration ?

Or are the revs at tickover speed ?

My A6 did that and was an EGR fault, but I let the problem develop until the fault code light came on

niall campbell
12-02-2017, 06:17 PM
taking off cover in Pic 2 shows a big white wheel, take that off and then Pic 1 shows a smaller white wheel underneath, the cogs teeth were broken and worn down over several teeth, the black cog the white teeth connect into, were the same

my car had done 75,000 miles at this point

QQQO
13-02-2017, 01:41 AM
when you say engine runs normal ...................... is the engine revving really high and you just don't have any acceleration ?

Or are the revs at tickover speed ?

My A6 did that and was an EGR fault, but I let the problem develop until the fault code light came on

Thanks Nial - its like the car is in neutral
Depress the accelerator - revs high - but no acceleration

niall campbell
14-02-2017, 09:35 AM
I think at this stage, and will need to be done at some stage ............................... change the gearbox oil and see if that helps

to myself, its the cheapest option; as you need to do it anyway

look for updated specs on the gearbox oil, it changes all the time and may help