PDA

View Full Version : Fault code p0403 egr

Swaineeee
25-01-2017, 05:40 PM
Hi,

Just picked my car up from my local garage as it's been in for an MOT & Full service.

Upon driving off I noticed engine management light was on, glow plug light, and it was in limp mode.

Took it back and I had a error code of p0403, the guys checked everything and it went away, drove off again and it was intermittent, between limp mode and normal mode, went back and they made sure all the connections we're fine and cleared the fault again and so far it's fine.

Has anyone got any ideas what it could be? I'm just hoping it's a dodgy wire, I've never had any problems before and I've used the garage for years

Cars a 8p A3 2.0TDi S-tronic

Fexo
26-01-2017, 03:40 PM
EGR.......... It's either an easy fix (clean or replacement) or a very expensive one (replace after taking much of the car apart, as was the case with me). From mid-2011 the EGR valve was moved to below the turbo. With the earlier cars is it next to the throttle valve at the front of the car.

You will probably find that this keeps occurring and then resets after switching the engine off and on again (fun to do on a motorway.....). Eventually it will give up the ghost.

Traser13
27-01-2017, 05:28 PM
If it is teh EGR then it is unlikely to get any better. If your car a Quattro?

Fexo
27-01-2017, 06:01 PM
No a regular 2 litre TDI.

Unfortunately, it started within 18 months but I never checked with a garage. I thought that it was a stop/start problem (seemed to happen in slow moving traffic with constant on/off). If it's the newer model, it's about 5-6h labour + the egr & cooler which are integrated and about £400! About 30mins and £75 for the older model.