PDA

View Full Version : S4 - Fuel pressure issue / passenger side exhaust

porty
25-01-2017, 03:59 PM
I took delivery of a new S4 on 9 December 2016. I am really pleased with the car. I owned a new B8 S4 for more than seven years prior to this car.

One issue I have had was that my car lost power just as I was joining a dual carriageway, with the engine management warning light coming on. It was quite frightening losing power as I joined the dual carriageway and I was transporting my two daughters at the time. It turned out to be a fuel pressure issue. My fuel pressure issue was resolved by fitting a £1 clip to hold the fuel line/pump together. I understand that there is a technical release about this issue, but it appears that Audi haven't changed the production line and cars are still being made without this clip being fitted. I have noticed on this website that someone has had an AdBlue pressure issue and I wonder if this is a similar issue?

One outstanding concern that I have is in relation to the exhaust system on the passenger side of the vehicle - it never seems to get remotely warm! I have done 200-mile round trips at up to 70mph using the differing driving modes etc and the passenger side exhaust doesn't get warm. In fact, exhaust only seems to come out of one of the four exhaust pipes. The dealer has said that the passenger side is a branch off the main exhaust system and they wouldn't expect it to get warm. Their Head of Business has an S4 and the exhaust on that car doesn't get warm on the passenger side either.

Does anyone know if this is normal? When you look under the car and see the amount of exhaust pipework etc on that side of the car, it just seems odd that it doesn't seem to be used. My new S4 only has one rear foglight (my old S4 had two) and so if they have made cost savings by reducing the number of rear foglights they provide, why would Audi supply a whole load of expensive exhaust pipework if it isn't required?

Any comments would be much appreciated.

djl78
25-01-2017, 07:01 PM
Could the exhaust have a butterfly valve in it to regulate exhaust gas flow dependent on engine loads. Older performance audis certainly had one.

porty
26-01-2017, 04:00 PM
I have no idea! Something like that would certainly explain what I am experiencing. My B8 S4 always had exhaust from both sides, but it could have been a different system, I suppose. It just seems odd that it doesn't seem to use the passenger side at all, under different driving conditions/speeds.