PDA

View Full Version : Question Engine Fan Running Too Long?

AK88
25-01-2017, 03:31 PM
Hi All,

Just a question I have regarding the Audi A3 2.0 tdi S-tronic (13 plate) my sister has,

Even after short drives the cooling fan runs for a long time when the engine is switched off, is this common? or a possible fault I need to look into, the car is still under warranty so is it worth booking in for diagnostics.

I don't have this problem with my A7 but have experienced the engine fan over run in a previous Skoda Octavia company car but that was after significant long motorway runs.

Any thoughts or advise welcome.

Thanks in advance,

wibblyw
26-01-2017, 07:50 PM
It might be embarking on a DPF regeneration which it keeps retrying over short runs? DPF regen produces a lot of heat so the fan will be set to run on...

AK88
26-01-2017, 08:51 PM
so should the car be taken on a longer run? to get to full temperature so the dpf does its thing whilst on the move?

wibblyw
27-01-2017, 10:22 AM
You can always try. DPF regen in principle takes place when the DPF doesn't get hot enough for long enough during normal driving. The regen I think squirts fuel into it to get it good and hot?!

It's an "occupational hazard" of diesels these days if they're not used for blasting up and down motorways all day long. It will keep doing regens.

Others may have a different perspective, so do do chime in if you do....