PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Notchy/Lumpy Steering B8 2.0 TDI

trickards
24-01-2017, 03:12 PM
Hi all,

I have a 2011 B8 A4, 2.0 TDI which i purchased privately around 6 months ago (40K on the clock). The car has been running great, but I have noticed something slightly concerning which I'm thinking about getting checked out. The car has servotronic steering fitted, and I find it a bit lumpy at ~20-40mph when driving in a straight line. You can feel the electronics kicking in even when the wheel is centrered and you are just making minor corrections.

There are hundreds of threads on the B8.5 servotronic steering update 48K8, but Ive been told this would not apply to a pre-facelift model. I'm concerned about heading into expensive diagnostic territory given this is more of an annoyance than anything serious. Any experience/tips?

Thanks

l3db6h
24-01-2017, 07:34 PM
You'll want to have someone run a VCDS diagnostics to check the steering system for faults. Other than that, check tyre pressure, condition and wear, balancing and tracking, etc.

porty
25-01-2017, 04:06 PM
I had a similar strange steering sensation on my May 2012 A4 SE back in 2013 which the 48K8 update sorted out. However, the dealer had to have my car more than once to get the update to load.