PDA

View Full Version : BITDI DPF, EM Light and Glow plug flashing. Limp home

Jackblack
20-01-2017, 10:08 AM
So my 2 1/2 years old BITDi developed some issues in this order.

DPF service required - managed to clear this via the 40-45 mph 2500 rpm 30 min drive solution.
DPF service light & Engine Management light.
DPF service light & Engine Management light & glow plug indicator flashing ( further engine management issues at deeper level). Car limp home mode

Car into Audi. Story in this order.

Audi roadside assist turned and couldn't rectify the issues. Followed me into Audi.
Audi diagnosed a software update should fix issue. Could not come under warranty as car had been " chipped" as verified by the German Audi computer system.
Car left Audi and 6 hrs latter and Engine Management light back on no limp[ home mode.
Audi roadside assist twice came out and reset but each time light came on.
Back to dealer diagnosed MAF centre giving fault readings. Replace MAF sensor.
Running car as we speak.

So first I've seen any DPF issues with a BITDI. Useful info for any other interested parties. Still love my car though and Audi where pretty reasonable with their charges. Chip tuner was confused why a tune had been detected. Audi say even if the tune has been removed as in my case they can see that thats taken place and the car and Germany communicate directly with no dealer involvement.

Also co incidentally i started using premium diesel just weeks before this all started.

AD72
20-01-2017, 05:25 PM
Which premium diesel did you start to use? I seem to get a lot of regens when on Shell v power and slightly less on BP Ultimate. Esso supreme seems the best so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evans1089
01-03-2017, 09:43 PM
I've never had any issues with my engine. And I drive 24 miles to work and back everyday in various speed zones. Just make sure you open it up once in a while!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B5NUT
01-03-2017, 11:04 PM
Wonder why the tuner was confused about Audi detecting the remap! Have a search for TD1 and you will find a lot of information about this. Any time the ECU is written to it's logged by the ECU, also the checksum no longer matches the original map checksum value.

Scott K
02-03-2017, 09:03 AM
My boss has the SQ5 and got the engine management light. I thought it might be the dpf so told him to run it home in sport. This cleared the problem. He has low mileage and only does long runs but I think the issue is the tiptronic using 8th gear so the revs are very low. Never had any issue with my bitdi but I drove a bit harder than him and did a long motorway journey every couple of months. 51k in 2 years when i sold mine.

struddy
02-03-2017, 04:56 PM
Hi Scott K

Apologies for the unsolicited message. I may have picked it up wrong on the forum but there was a message that suggested you live in Aberdeen and that you had a VCDS.

I've got the most annoying problem with my B8 Audi A4 where the brake pad warning light comes on intermittently and despite short circuiting the wire before the pads the problem persists. I suspect there may be corrosion at the main wiring loom and so don't really want to touch it.

However I believe that the VCDS can be used to disable the brake pad warning message in the instruments section.

If the above is true and you do live in Aberdeen and have a VCDS I wonder if you'd be able to help me. I live in Midstocket and would be happy to pay you for your time.

Many thanks for reading this far!

David

Scott K
02-03-2017, 05:11 PM
Hi David
I am in Aberdeen. No problem helping if you know what the coding is
Cheers, Scott

struddy
03-03-2017, 06:15 PM
Thanks Scott,

I'm a VCDS novice, however I have established from other posts that the coding follows the pattern below.

If that looks about right to you (obviously changing the canadian part to UK, please drop me an email (struddy@btinternet.com) and let me know a convenient time for you that you'd be able to help me.

Thanks again

David

[Select]
[17 - Instruments]
[Recode - 07]
Write down the existing coding for future reference.
Enter 5-digit code from below
[Do It!]

Look at the first two digits in the coding. Add the values for the options together to get the correct coding.

00 - No available equipment
+01 - Brakepad wear sensor warning active
+02 - Seatbelt warning active
+04 - Washer fluid level warning active

Look at the third digit in the coding (Market version):

1 - "EU" 24 hour clock (may result in odometer in km in 2002+ clusters)
2 - "USA" 12 hour clock
3 - "Canada" 12 hour clock (may result in odometer in km in 2002+ clusters)
"The third digit in the code is the country code. The codes are:
4 - "UK" 24 hour clock (should result in odometer in miles)
5 - Japan
6 - Saudi Arabia
7 - Australia

Look at the fourth digit in the coding (Cylinders):

3 - No Service Interval (2002+ models)
4 - 4-cylinder (1999-2001 models)
6 - 6-cylinder (1999-2001 models)

Look at the fifth digit in the coding (Distance impulse multiplier):

2 - 3538
4 - 3648 (some 2002+ models)

So, if you want to have Seatbelt warning and washer fluid warning only in a 2001 Canadian 6-cylinder vehicle, (add 00+02+04 = 06),3,6,2 = 06362.

Jackblack
08-03-2017, 01:22 AM
Mines is at just over 30 k in 3 years and it gets plenty of boot. Audi updated the software and now no issues.
My boss has the SQ5 and got the engine management light. I thought it might be the dpf so told him to run it home in sport. This cleared the problem. He has low mileage and only does long runs but I think the issue is the tiptronic using 8th gear so the revs are very low. Never had any issue with my bitdi but I drove a bit harder than him and did a long motorway journey every couple of months. 51k in 2 years when i sold mine.

Jackblack
08-03-2017, 01:26 AM
I spoke to the tuner and they still are clear that it should never be seen. Somewhere between Audi and them is the answer - i was pretty ****** off.
Moving on. Since the warranty is voided I'm going for stage 3 460 cup 900 nm torque tune due to complete later this month. This involves an RS6 air box and K N filter which i have already fitted. A Wagner competition intercooler due to land this week and a trip to Holland to JDR engineering for the engine tune.

Wonder why the tuner was confused about Audi detecting the remap! Have a search for TD1 and you will find a lot of information about this. Any time the ECU is written to it's logged by the ECU, also the checksum no longer matches the original map checksum value.

Silane
08-03-2017, 07:04 PM
I spoke to the tuner and they still are clear that it should never be seen. Somewhere between Audi and them is the answer - i was pretty ****** off.
Moving on. Since the warranty is voided I'm going for stage 3 460 cup 900 nm torque tune due to complete later this month. This involves an RS6 air box and K N filter which i have already fitted. A Wagner competition intercooler due to land this week and a trip to Holland to JDR engineering for the engine tune.

I think all tuners know about the TD1 flag at this stage, but unless they play dumb they lose business.

"TD1is the VW Audi Group warranty ‘Flag’ for a vehicle that has been modified, this is something you should all be well aware of. If you’re not then please note; since the change in main dealer on-line diagnostic tools throughout 2013 performance software can and will be seen when a vehicle is plugged into online at a main dealer. This is the case even if it’s switched to ‘stock’ mode, it is possible although not confirmed that TD1 could be flagged if a vehicle has been flashed with any tool other than the OEM online system. Our recommendation to all our dealers is to make the vehicle owner aware that their warranty will be affected if they have software installed on their vehicle; this isn’t anything new as we’ve never claimed software is undetectable however prior to the new main dealer systems Revo software did tend to go unnoticed."

source: http://www.revotechnik.com/support/sales/is-revo-software-undetectable

jbmercapple
08-03-2017, 08:24 PM
Be wary of going to that level of tune.
The tiptronic box on the Bitdi is the ZF 8HP55 and the maximum torque it can handle is 550nm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mrmarc
08-03-2017, 09:07 PM
I think all tuners know about the TD1 flag at this stage, but unless they play dumb they lose business.

"TD1is the VW Audi Group warranty ‘Flag’ for a vehicle that has been modified, this is something you should all be well aware of. If you’re not then please note; since the change in main dealer on-line diagnostic tools throughout 2013 performance software can and will be seen when a vehicle is plugged into online at a main dealer. This is the case even if it’s switched to ‘stock’ mode, it is possible although not confirmed that TD1 could be flagged if a vehicle has been flashed with any tool other than the OEM online system. Our recommendation to all our dealers is to make the vehicle owner aware that their warranty will be affected if they have software installed on their vehicle; this isn’t anything new as we’ve never claimed software is undetectable however prior to the new main dealer systems Revo software did tend to go unnoticed."

source: Is Revo Software Undetectable? | Revo Technik (http://www.revotechnik.com/support/sales/is-revo-software-undetectable)

I wonder if it was the same tuner who said his gearbox was good for 1250nm of torque?

Jackblack
08-03-2017, 09:49 PM
Grow up there actually people interested in this stuff cretin. As i said if you've got nothing usefull to add then zip it. This is a grown ups forum.
I wonder if it was the same tuner who said his gearbox was good for 1250nm of torque?

mrmarc
08-03-2017, 10:07 PM
Grow up there actually people interested in this stuff cretin. As i said if you've got nothing usefull to add then zip it. This is a grown ups forum.

That told me

fest0r
08-03-2017, 10:26 PM
Jack, keep in mind you were given false info from your tuning box supplier then incompetence (or outright deceit) from the tuner you then switched to. Their tune also caused a fault with the car… potentially. I know you have an insatiable desire for the big numbers, but please be very wary about information provided by someone trying to sell you a product.

I fully appreciate that JRD are respected, but if they are 100% sure of their claims they would provide a drivetrain and transmission warranty. It seems counterintuitive that ZF would over engineer to such a degree for no reason… all that unnecessary weight etc.

Rassi
22-03-2017, 02:48 PM
Be wary of going to that level of tune.
The tiptronic box on the Bitdi is the ZF 8HP55 and the maximum torque it can handle is 550nm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Strange, as the BiTDI has 650 nm has from the factory...

ukgroucho
22-03-2017, 06:34 PM
Strange, as the BiTDI has 650 nm has from the factory...

No-one seems to know exactly which ZF8HP variant is in the BiTdi (well I guess Audi know).

I've seen a suggestion that the SQ5 - same engine, torque, different final drive reduction to get the "under 5 secs to 100kph in an SUV" metric - is running the Zf8HP70 - so 700nM max. That would make sense for the A6 BiTdi also.
Installing the higher torque variants should not incur a significant "over engineering / weight penalty" because all the reading that I've done suggests that the main difference is the clutch packs used. I guess there is a cost penalty - stronger clutch pack more expensive - and of course no manufacturer wants to incur higher parts costs than they need to.

EDIT: Ohh and I also saw references to their being a later version of the ZF8HP55 which pushed the max torque from 550nM to 700nM...to hell with their naming convention.
EDIT 2: For those that ask "where" did I see that....http://www.motor-talk.de/blogs/autos-technik/datenblaetter-getriebeuebersetzungen-getriebe-allgemein-usw-t3089864.html
ZF 8HP im neuen Audi A6, A7 (4G) 3.0 TDI 230kW / 313 PS- 8HP-55AF-bis 700 Nm mit selbstsperrenden Kronenradmittendifferenzial