PDA

View Full Version : Question Refit sump sound deadening

Mr_Duck
18-01-2017, 05:13 PM
The moulded sound deadening cover has come loose from one end of the sump of the AWX engine in my B5.5 Passat TDi and is flapping around. Has anyone else had this problem and been able to fix it? Do I need to get the car up on a lift to fix it or is access possible from ground level?

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Rob69
18-01-2017, 05:43 PM
I got my b5.5 2 1/2 years ago and during first service found the same problem. i just removed it completely while draining the oil. no detrimental effects noticed! I usually run the car up on front ramps to get enough clearance to drop the undertray off. I've had to renew the half turn screws and clips for the undertray but got a load off ebay cheap enough.

Mr_Duck
19-01-2017, 12:21 PM
Thanks Rob69. I had some old ramps but had to scrap them because they would have clouted the front bumper. As a result I have to make do with the small clearance under the car to get the under tray off. Did you buy ramps with a shallower angle? If so I would be interested to know what make/type and where from.

Rob69
19-01-2017, 01:38 PM
You're right - the passat has a long front end overhang, i made a set of shallow angle ramps, not very high but enough to get underneath.
what about these - need to check the angle though!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEAVY-DUTY-7-TON-PRO-WORKSHOP-CAR-RAMPS-RACE-RAMPS-PAIR-Rhino-Ramps-MAX-11912MIE-/191593246225?hash=item2c9bd8ee11%3Ag%3AJy0AAOSwBLl Vba4i