PDA

View Full Version : Black smoke on hard acceleration (Not every time)

t_basham@hotmai
22-10-2007, 11:26 PM
Hi i have just bought a 1995 VW Vento TDI CL 1896cc, It has been MOTd and serviced at the main dealers, in fact just had service done and been on the diagnostic machine because the previous owner had noticed a cloud of black smoke during hard acceleration, nothing was found wrong, they have put it down to just local running around in their words wants a good blast to get the turbo going. When I picked it up it started superb, no smoke noises drives great but again, just as it warmed up i put my foot down, cloud of black smoke never carried on smoking just the one cloud, then nothing to talk of again. I drove it at 30 mph for a bit floored the accelerator nothing, i have tried allways to get it to do it again cruising at 50 then flooring it nothing.
Then i let it cool right down and went out again, and sure enough just at the time it comes up to temp if you floor it the one cloud of black smoke maybe it will do it twice but not as much the second time but after the one cloud nothing it isnt like while you have your foot down its chucking smoke out its just the one cloud when you first floor it. You can let it stand at idle rev it right up nothing and it ticks over like a clock can let it idle for ages then rev it nothing . Can any one help please

devonutopia
23-10-2007, 12:03 AM
I think it's just clearing itself out a bit. If you want to see black smoke check the video link in my sig. Although it doesn't do it all the time, a bit of black smoke doesn't really do any harm. It's a little bit of overfuelling, or a lack of air getting in. :)

Oh, and I've deleted the double posting just to tidy things up. :)

t_basham@hotmai
23-10-2007, 12:58 AM
Cheers, yes thats the colour but not as much, would you just forget about it cheers

devonutopia
23-10-2007, 01:12 PM
I would, yes. Only a concern if it did it all the time. It just sounds like it's something it occasionally does. Perhaps chucking some millers sport 4 in with the diesel might give it a bit of a cleaning through. :)

t_basham@hotmai
24-10-2007, 06:07 PM
Many thanks, no it really is only when its getting to proper temperature, then even when i started it from cold this morning, left it running and kept revving it after tick over, one cloud then very little,by the time it was at temp nothing even when revved after ticking over for a bit. All it was i ran a Xantia 1900 turbo diesel and never got a puff out of that engine cheers