PDA

View Full Version : Please Help issues after timing belt change

chris a4tdi
12-01-2017, 06:45 PM
I found the forum after a google search and am looking for some help, I hope I posted in the right place.

I have an 2011 Audi A4 TDI sline 136 bhp black edition

My car is now 5 years old and as per the service intervals I booked in to have the timing belt changed and a service.
The timing belt was purchased as a kit including tensioners and water pump.

This was all changed and I got my car back and it seemed to be running fine on the way home which was only a few miles.
On my way to work next day I noticed that the car was getting a bit hotter than normal and my MPG was significantly lower.

My suspensions were confirmed when I went a trip down the motorway about 10 miles run when the car was getting much hotter and barely returning 37mpg
when I stop at lights or junctions the car temperature lowers down but as soon as I drive the temps rise back up, They coolant system has been bled and levels have been checked
this is fine, heater also works as it should.

Bearing in mind none of the above issues were present before the service and belt change.

This leaves me to believe that the timing sprocket needs adjusted for the torsion setting as the information I got was If this is out of alignment then this
indicates the issues I have above.

The garage the fitted the belt use vagcom and delphi software but this shows no results for the torsion settings for the cam adjustment or sprocket values.
works fine for b7 models but not on b8

Any help or information to restore my cars running and performance will be with the greatest of thanks.

niall campbell
12-01-2017, 07:29 PM
you need to take the car back so they can have a chance to fix it

chris a4tdi
12-01-2017, 08:12 PM
Fully agree with you, what other ways are there to set up the cam timing or pump timing without software?

zollaf
12-01-2017, 09:21 PM
when you say much hotter, what exactly do you mean ???

chris a4tdi
15-01-2017, 01:01 PM
Before the service work was carried out the car has always maintained decent MPG ( 40+ )and the coolant temperature runs at 75/80 always maintained this regardless.
My commute to work is only a short distance and for the better part the car never gets up to normal running temperatures, I can travel to work
and barely see the gauge lift from the 50 marker.

As my working commute is short I do take the car out at the weekends for family trips to give it a decent drive and only ever use premium diesel from Shell.

My work run now shows operating temperatures of 75 / 80, my MPG is down and as soon as i get on a motorway within a few miles the temperature
will rise quickly to 90, when I stop at a junction you can literately watch the temperature lower very quickly.
My concerns are that something is out with the timing alignment causing the car to run hot and also the loss of MPG.
The outside temps at the moment is 0 / +1 oC and if the car is running this hot now then come summer when the ambient is 18+ oC then I feel
there may be bigger problems ahead.

zollaf
15-01-2017, 03:42 PM
so there was something wrong to start with as the temp should rise to 90 after a few miles and stay there. so its not actually overheating its justb getting upto where it should get to. maybe they put a new stat in on the service for you.

chris a4tdi
15-01-2017, 05:04 PM
I have the receipt and invoice no stat was fitted, do you feel that normal running temps is 90?
In my 2 years of ownership it always ran at 75/80

Can you see any reason that a new belt and service would cause poor mpg?

zollaf
15-01-2017, 05:11 PM
yes, normal running temp for all vws since time began is 90. if it goes over then its overheating, if it runs under then its running cold and that will cause more fuel to be used. your car needs to go on a computer to see what the ecu says.

chris a4tdi
15-01-2017, 05:21 PM
the garage use vag com and delphi software and have said to me that if it has poor mpg if may be that the timing sprocket needs adjusting, however as said the software will
not provide the information required on the b8 model.

zollaf
15-01-2017, 05:25 PM
i was thinking more of looking at the temperature of the coolant. if the cam is a tadge out then that will not affect the running temp of the engine. i think you need a new stat and possibly cts first before doing anything, but you will need that computer to know for sure. not a fault code either, you need live data.