PDA

View Full Version : Changing to an a7

buddyboy
08-01-2017, 11:21 PM
Im currently driving a 2007 s6, i love the v10 roar but i would like to get something newer and cheaper to maintain. I was planning on a 2012/13 s6 but they are still a bit out of my budget. Also there is non currenlty for sale in Ireland so importing from Uk would be the only option and the import tax we pay is just ridiculous.

So looking locally, the 2011-13 A7 s-line 3.0 TDI has caught my eye. from what i can see there is a 204 bhp and 245 bhp otions. I would be swinging more towards the 245bhp version with a remap it can see 300bhp from what the internets tell me. How can i tell what engine output they should have?

Im not too sure on the gearboxes is there a few different types, s-tronic and tiptronic? Which is preferred? How can i tell what gearbox the cars that i am looking at have? Is there any known issues on tese models to look our for?

Is there many different headlight options on this model? I see you can mod the rear lights to be more like the dynamic facelift ones so would be interested in that mod for sure.

Styling wise i would be looking to get a front splitter for it and also maybe the RS7 grill if they are easy to retrofit

Any useful buyers information on this model would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

M1tchy
09-01-2017, 12:54 AM
Hi mate, I think it was early 2013 that the biTDI engine was release, mine is oct 2013 and has it. It's 313Bhp and has the tiptronic gearbox.

I've no idea how to tell the different engines/gearboxes without some sort of data sheet detailing what's under the Bonnet.

There are two sets of headlights, xenon or full LED. A quick google will show you the difference but I can recommend the leds enough, they are so much clearer and brighter and whiter. They can be retrofitted but not cheap.

RS7 grill is also doable, doesn't look too hard but all depends on individual ability I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boxsterman
09-01-2017, 05:53 PM
You will not regret buying an A7- best looking Audi in my opinion. I have a 245bhp S line Black Edition and with over 400 lb ft of torque it gives plenty enough acceleration when I need it. The 300bhp remap may not be worth it. I have the tiptronic gearbox which gives smooth and fast changes plus the option of manual. As for telling what gearbox a particular car has without reading the data sheet, is to drive it - the tiptronic is 8 speed and the S tronic 7 speed. In my experience, even the used car sales patter is not always correct!

I hope you find what you are looking for. They are wonderful cars that give the mix of relaxed cruising and some get up and go that I was looking for when I bought my 2013 model six months ago.

buddyboy
09-01-2017, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the info guys, I popped out to have a look at one today and brought it for a test drive, definitely a nice smooth drive, very quiet too! I asked in the garage which spec engine and they had no clue, they said they thought it was 245, the other guy said 270! It wasnt a very clean example so ill move on from that. So is the datasheet available with the service history book? One of the guys in work mentioned to have a look in the spare wheel well there is a larger sticker there and that would show all the options fitted, i wonder if that would also show the engine type code too

So I'm guessing the 8 speed tiptronic is the one to try get?

AK88
09-01-2017, 08:33 PM
If you're looking at re-mapping then I think tiptronic would be the way to go, I think it can take more torque?? (someone else will correct me if I'm wrong)

buddyboy
09-01-2017, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the info. Another question, do all a7 models have air suspension or is there a few different setups also for this? the one i was in today had some options in the menu, for comfort, auto, dynamic and individual. I'm guessing that refers to the suspension settings?

Scott K
09-01-2017, 09:53 PM
If you get a photo of the sticker in the wheel well it will give you a lot of 3 digit codes which you can input into an online tool and it will tell you the full spec of the car. Google vwgroup option code decoder and you will get some hits.

buddyboy
09-01-2017, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the info Scott, i'll check that with the one im going to see tomorrow

buddyboy
10-01-2017, 03:41 PM
I went to see one today, and it was lovely, daytona grey, 20 inch alloys, full Audi service history
So its 07G tiptronic transmission - no paddles on steering wheel, i guess i can retrofit a tiptronic steering wheel?
245 bhp engine
Bang and olufsen sound system
Heads up display

Some nice extra's on it, i might take a plunge on this one, they will take my s6 as a trade in for what i want for it so happy days. Im still not sure, about the suspension. Does anybody know if all the a7 slline models have air suspension?

M1tchy
10-01-2017, 03:51 PM
Don't all have air suspension mate. It was an optional extra. I love the HUD on mine.

Corb2000
10-01-2017, 04:09 PM
The Bang and Olufsen sound system is a very rare option (6,300 last time I looked) and there aren't many cars with air suspension either.

My S Line Black has the air suspension and 20" wheels which gives it a much smoother ride than steel sprung S Lines, it does take the edge off the handling though, even when you set the air suspension in the Dynamic mode.

buddyboy
10-01-2017, 04:15 PM
Any idea of the option code? Its not a deal breaker if it doesn't have air suspension, just nice to know, The dealer is checking into it for me also as he was unsure

Corb2000
10-01-2017, 04:18 PM
Any idea of the option code? Its not a deal breaker if it doesn't have air suspension, just nice to know, The dealer is checking into it for me also as he was unsure

The order code for the air suspension on the 2016 price list was 1BK, priced at 2,000

buddyboy
10-01-2017, 04:36 PM
Ok so the only option code relation in to suspension i could see on the data sheet was:

1BV = Sports suspension/shock absorption

Just normal suspension i guess

Corb2000
10-01-2017, 04:40 PM
The 1BV code is the S Line sports suspension, which is 10mm lower than the regular S Line setup (code 1BE). Black edition cars have the 1BV setup unless spec'd otherwise.

buddyboy
11-01-2017, 10:18 PM
Think im set, managed to get what i wanted for a trade in on the s6 against this:

http://i.imgur.com/x1R3sVG.jpg?1

Wish me luck, im sure ill be on here asking loads of questions once i pick it up early next week!

M1tchy
12-01-2017, 02:31 AM
Very nice. Best colour too [emoji3]

buddyboy
14-01-2017, 04:16 PM
For sure! My favourite Audi colour

M1tchy
14-01-2017, 08:10 PM
I see you got the auto parking system (it was you asking about it wasn't it?)

What other toys did you get?

buddyboy
14-01-2017, 08:53 PM
Yes i think i was, sorry i'm asking a lot of questions about this lately! It seems to have the parking assist alright(sensors on the bumpers front and rear and sides), i was hoping it had the front or rear cameras but i didnt know to look. Roll on wednesday!

M1tchy
14-01-2017, 10:16 PM
If you have clear pics of the front and back you should be able to tell.

buddyboy
14-01-2017, 10:28 PM
best i have currently:

http://i.imgur.com/mzvYmJs.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/oWcyJaF.jpg?1

All will be revealed on wednesday when i pick it up. Not the end of the world if it doesnt have the camera's.

M1tchy
14-01-2017, 10:41 PM
As you say all will be clear on mon. But can't make out the frontal camera. Sits under the two central rings on the Audi badge. Rear is above the no plate next to where you open the boot so can't see from the mat angle.

Weds will be like xmas all over again!

Alex jb
15-01-2017, 09:13 PM
Lovely looking motor!
Aren't the settings you mentioned related to the throttle response and the gear shifting?

buddyboy
15-01-2017, 09:28 PM
Lovely looking motor!
Aren't the settings you mentioned related to the throttle response and the gear shifting?

I'm not sure Alex it's all new to me coming from an older c6 model! I'm sure I will figure it all out after a few days

buddyboy
18-01-2017, 01:38 PM
Picked her up today, fully serviced, stage 1 paint detail which really brings out the Daytona grey, wheels refurbished. Well happy:) Now to figure out all the new settings and features :) Also need to clean those exhaust tips they missed them

http://i.imgur.com/FgKmAaj.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/nkamz9l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/2i9z0My.jpg?1

Corb2000
18-01-2017, 02:03 PM
Picked her up today, fully serviced, stage 1 paint detail which really brings out the Daytona grey, wheels refurbished. Well happy:) Now to figure out all the new settings and features :) Also need to clean those exhaust tips they missed them

http://i.imgur.com/FgKmAaj.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/nkamz9l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/2i9z0My.jpg?1

Looking good! Enjoy...

Alex jb
18-01-2017, 09:52 PM
Looks great' I'm jealous!

AK88
18-01-2017, 10:00 PM
Very nice,

buddyboy
18-01-2017, 11:18 PM
Got home for work and tried to do a scan with vcds but getting some errors about modules not being reachable, ill have another go at that again tomorrow, did a few tweaks with the vcds tricks and ill see how many worked.

So yes it has a night vision camera on the front grille, in the right most ring on the logo, cool feature, no rear parking camera though, i will look to retrofit this if i can get the part numbers i need and source the parts on ebay.

Couple of niggles i noticed:
- Condensation inside one of the headlight lenses and bits of dirt in both. - Is that a common issue? any particular seal that is to blame?
- Also slight scorch marks, like they got a bit hot at some point and small cloudy circles on both lenses, Ill see if them marks come off with a good polishing but i think its in the inside
- Slight bit of oily residue looking down the front of the engine at the bottom , ill pop it up on the lift tomorrow and take off the belly pan for a look. It got serviced this week so it should be all good.
- Couple of tiny dents in the center console aluminium trim - can this be fixed at all?
- MMI needs updating its on P0518
- I got a set of the stainless steel sports pedals, footrest and accelerator fit fine but the brake pedal cover doesnt seem to fit at all Ill contact Audi dealer who supplied about them

M1tchy
19-01-2017, 05:03 PM
Looks really smart. love those alloys too.

Have a look at kufatec, they have full kits ready to fit for the parking cameras, all the way from just the rear, to the full surround system.

AK88
20-01-2017, 07:04 PM
Hi there's a thread-A7 brought home, condensation in headlights?

this covered the misting/condensation in the headlights and debris which I had and still have in mine. when I asked audi regarding the bits sitting at the bottom of the headlights I was advised this would be at least 250 and may take require removal of bumper? so I didn't pursue, within the thread I have noted there is a suggestion to use a vacuum and hollow cable to remove the bits but I haven't done it, maybe tackle this when I need to change a bulb.

buddyboy
20-01-2017, 07:08 PM
Hi there's a thread-A7 brought home, condensation in headlights?

this covered the misting/condensation in the headlights and debris which I had and still have in mine. when I asked audi regarding the bits sitting at the bottom of the headlights I was advised this would be at least 250 and may take require removal of bumper? so I didn't pursue, within the thread I have noted there is a suggestion to use a vacuum and hollow cable to remove the bits but I haven't done it, maybe tackle this when I need to change a bulb.

After a bit more research it seems like the headlights are vented, so the condensation should come and go, checking today its gone, so i guess the dirt particles can also get in the same vents. I will try the vacuum trip, before going the whole hog and removing the front bumper to get the headlights off

M1tchy
20-01-2017, 07:33 PM
If you put a small bag of silica gel in the lens cap it absorbs moisture too.

buddyboy
23-01-2017, 04:59 PM
I thought my car had keyless entry , since it has the little door sensor squares on the handles on all doors but it doesnt seem to work. Does anybody know what the option was for keyless entry, i presumed keyless start would mean you also have keyless entry/lock. I checked all doors and none open by grabbing the handle, and none lock by touching the sensor. same with the boot lid. only code i can see relating to locking etc is 4K4 = Radio remote controlled central locking. Short of taking apart the door nadle to check is there an easier way yo verify this?

No codes thrown relating to door handle sensors from what i can see. Seems a bit pointless having keyless start without keyless entry!

Corb2000
23-01-2017, 05:18 PM
My A7 has got the small squares in the door handles but it isn't keyless entry either - not sure I'd want it given some of the security issues it causes

buddyboy
23-01-2017, 05:21 PM
what security issues do you mean?

Corb2000
23-01-2017, 05:25 PM
what security issues do you mean?

Here's some press coverage:

Millions of cars at risk as keyless entry systems can be hacked, report says | Technology | The Guardian (https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/aug/12/cars-risk-keyless-entry-system-hacked-volkswagen)

Tests uncover major security risk to keyless cars | Auto Express (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/94918/tests-uncover-major-security-risk-to-keyless-cars)

buddyboy
23-01-2017, 06:27 PM
Ouch, i think i can do without it so! Thanks for the info. Luckily Irish car thieves are not the clever yet!

AT.
23-01-2017, 07:35 PM
Does anybody know what the option was for keyless entry, i presumed keyless start would mean you also have keyless entry/lock.

No, you are wrong. In the A6/A7 the keyless start is a standard, as you don't need to put the key into the dashboard, however the keyless entry is an additional option, just as the foot operated boot lid opening. As far as I know it's not a VCDS setting to make the keyless entry work, imho the sensors and all the parts are missing from the car, even the handles looks all the same.

IMHO the keyless entry is something which should be disabled for the very first time, as it means your car can be taken without any key, as if somebody is able to open the door with a fake sensor+radio, they will take your car away. It's also known as a common problem, that if your keys are close to your car in your home, then the car will realise the keyfob, so it will open itself for anybody. But it's only my IMHO.

Alex jb
23-01-2017, 09:03 PM
I think the A6 code for advance key is [4F2], I checked as I thought the same as you when I got my A6, turned out not to have it.

buddyboy
24-01-2017, 10:43 PM
I wont loose anymore sleep so over an option i don't have so.

I tried to order an oil dipstick from the dealer today and they told me there isnt actually one available for my model a7. They Dipstick mount is there already with a rubber bung in the top. Has anyone added an good ol' fashioned oil dipstick to the 3.0 TDI engine?

AT.
24-01-2017, 10:49 PM
Maybe I don't understand your point, but why you need an oil dipstick when you can see the exact oil level in the MMI menu?

Scott K
24-01-2017, 10:53 PM
059115611AB or AM will be the part number for the dipstick. Have a search in the A6 C7 section as I seem to remember some of the guys ordering them.

buddyboy
24-01-2017, 10:57 PM
Just to have as a back up, if that sensor ever failed or was on its way out it may not display the correct level. Why would they add the dipstick tubing and not let you buy the optional manual dipstick?

Scott K
24-01-2017, 11:22 PM
The dipstick tube is what they use for the vacuum hose to extract the oil.

buddyboy
24-01-2017, 11:23 PM
059115611AB or AM will be the part number for the dipstick. Have a search in the A6 C7 section as I seem to remember some of the guys ordering them.

Great, thanks for the part number Scott, that seems to come up on a few sites as the correct number for the c7 a6/a7 tdi dipstick

Scott K
25-01-2017, 12:05 AM
There's a thread on the A6 section just now about DIY oil changes. In it, there's mention of a Laser dipstick for Audi as well. The rubber bung at the top of the tube just pulls out although it is very tight.

shabazmo
25-01-2017, 03:31 PM
I bought a dip stick a few years ago but only use it to check if I have overfilled the sump after an oil change. This measurement is not possible with the MMI.

buddyboy
25-01-2017, 03:34 PM
Exactly! MMI will just say full even if you over fill it.

buddyboy
28-01-2017, 12:08 AM
Well they car has been in the garage last two days and the located the source of the leak, seems like a seal/gasket that involves removal of the gearbox to replace. If they need to do any work that requires removing the timing chains ill ask them to re-fit new timing chains while they are in there, just as a preventative maintenance. Stuck driving one of these for the next few days. Dirty, noisey, rwd bouncy castle!

http://i.imgur.com/UQ7p47i.jpg

buddyboy
28-01-2017, 08:28 PM
I apologise for all my seperate threads about random noobie questions! I'll put any updates etc in this thread to keep it all in one place!

My semi dynamic modules turned up.

http://i.imgur.com/7qZGFLu.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/dLo05uV.jpg

Also picked up a S7 wheel with paddle shifters from Ebay Germany and will put that on shortly, i'll put up the coding information when i figure it out for anyone thats interested

http://i.imgur.com/ppC2spN.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/FfXixdF.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/7lFyVwZ.jpg

Also received my washer jets from Cardiff Audi on ebay, had a small issue with them you couldnt buy more than 1 item from their ebay shop every 10 days, I got the issue solved after a day or two from the help of Tom in their parts department, they were over double the price from my local Audi dealer!

M1tchy
28-01-2017, 09:22 PM
Looks good. I'm sure you won't have an issue but I had the semi dynamic setup before I got the full sweeping lights. I wrote a how to somewhere on the a7 section

buddyboy
28-01-2017, 10:26 PM
Cheers, i think the only thing i need to check from your thread now that you reminded is how to put the new connectors onto the existing wiring to make these modules work.

I'll have a dig for your thread on them

buddyboy
04-02-2017, 06:02 PM
This car is cursed, I got it back yesterday after work. 5 mins down the road I heard a pop and smoke was coming out from under the bonnet. Car was hunting for idle so I pulled over. Reminded me of my Subaru days that familiar sound of some intercooler piping popping off.

I eventually found that the pipe on the left side of the intercooler popped off. Nothing that could be fixed on the roadside so got it towed back to the garage.

Collected it again this morning, noticed a warning light in the dash so connected up vcds, found a load of codes not cleared so I save a copy and cleared them to see which came back.

One came back basically saying short to plus on the cylinder head temp sensor. I went looking for this sensor to check the cabling and found the problem:

http://i.imgur.com/4KVJgsH.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/qkeEUE6.jpg

buddyboy
04-02-2017, 06:04 PM
I can't see a connector to plug it back in. Any ideas? If I can't figure it out I'll be straight back to that garage to bang some heads together

buddyboy
04-02-2017, 09:57 PM
Problem solved, came back down to look at it with a bigger torch and found the connector where it belongs, all the etka drawings show it much higher up beside the rocker cover, but its much lower down on the front of the engine as you can see just about circled in red:

http://i.imgur.com/17ugodk.jpg?1

I also managed to get the washer jets on, soo much better thanks to Mitchy for the recommendation on them

I tried to fit the s7 steering wheel but realized my new Halfords tool set doesn't include any spline bits so back i go tomorrow to get some for that.

I fixed the rear parcel shelf rattle finally by replacing the right side mount. That should be one less rattle to worry about.

buddyboy
05-02-2017, 11:39 PM
I started fitting the semi dynamic rear tail light modules yesterday, which involves removing the standard wiring from its factory connector and putting it into the newly supplied connector. 5 cables in total and i couldnt get pin 2 out in one piece so it snapped as i pulled it out

http://i.imgur.com/0YlYqnc.jpg

Thanks to Mitchy for suggesting some replacement connectors i can try out. for now i only have the indicator working on the inner boot lid light section. I decided to continue onto the other side a bit more cautious now since i messed up on the left side! Slow and steady and i got the right side done

Dynamic turn signal test fit - YouTube (https://youtu.be/wTviDplLBGY)

buddyboy
10-02-2017, 04:05 PM
I had had a replacement piece of center console trim in a box since i got the car, i thought it would be an easy piece to remove but oh how wrong i was! You need to remove the entire center console section to get this panel off, as its secured on from underneath by 8 torx screws. I posted that in the a6 C7 section since i thought there might have been more a6 owners that have done this so far. Link to that post for reference:

c7 center console trim removal? (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/181296-c7-center-console-trim-removal)

buddyboy
10-02-2017, 07:43 PM
Finished off the semi dynamic indicator modules install. Looks pretty good. Helped me save the 1k+ cost of retrofitting the facelift tail lights

Audi a7 semi dynamic indicators - YouTube (https://youtu.be/037ikDnc2w4)