PDA

View Full Version : Am I risking engine damage with the turbo veins stuck open?

mikeote
07-01-2017, 07:48 PM
Heya guys, thanks for looking at my thread.

My turbo isn't working too badly... It only over-boosts and cuts out when I have paddle boards (think very large surf boards) on the roof causing loads of drag, when at around 3000 revs in (normally in third). Without the boards on the roof it didn't cut out once on my last 2.5 hour trip between Falmouth and Totnes, and I went past 3000 revs quite a few times.

I checked it when I last did my cambelt by removing the turbo actuator and trying to move the little lever which controls the variable veins, it only had less than 1mm of movement range so is stuck open. Am I risking engine damage with the turbo stuck open?

Cheers!
Mike

Crasher
07-01-2017, 08:36 PM
What can happen is the turbo overspeeds and frags itself right through the charge air system which is very time consuming to clean out AND can get re-ingested before you stop so yes, in theory but in practice it is rare. The most usual consequence we see of ignoring the problem is that the turbo costs more to rebuild when you do get it done.

mikeote
07-01-2017, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the reply Crasher. I've actually bought a replacement re-manufactured turbo before I realised the over boost cut out only occurred when I had the boards on top, so am wondering if I should send it back or not. Apparently the only part of the turbo the re-manufacturers re-use is the housing. If you had the same problem would you replace it even though the car is performing well (with no boards on top)?

Cheers
Mike

Crasher
08-01-2017, 01:40 AM
Boards....heeeemmmm, never had boards on top...broads yes but lets not tell Mrs Crasher.... ooooo I suppose you mean resistance, air resistance that is drag per se so load means greater torque demand which means the ECU adds boost which trips the over-boost map. We have our customers turbo's rebuilt, better the Devil one knows....

mikeote
08-01-2017, 01:23 PM
Hah! I've enjoyed the brief company of some little Ms Crashers but never a Mrs, though unfortunately they've only been interested in damaging my rear end =/ I've had broads on my boards, but never atop my wagon; only bored broads to whom I show my wagon...

I suspected the extra drag from the boards messed up the ECU's calculations, though I'm still not sure if there's a significant risk to driving around for tens of thousands of miles with a turbo stuck in open? You mentioned a pretty bad scenario previously, but also mentioned that it's very rare...

Mucho drag!:

Cheers!
Mike

Crasher
08-01-2017, 04:17 PM
If it is always in limp mode it can't damage itself but a long time like that would be very annoying.

mikeote
08-01-2017, 05:26 PM
99% of the time I'm driving around it's not in limp mode, but the turbo veins are stuck open and it's performing fine. If it's extremely unlikely (?) that the Turbo will overspin to the point that it breaks up (during potentially another 100K miles) I'll just leave it as it is.

Crasher
09-01-2017, 12:13 AM
I have only gambled once, I put a £1 on the 1980 Grand National and made £40 which was pretty cool for a young gun going into 6th form college and I haven't gambled since so I am still up. Never climbed Ben Nevis mind, but Mrs Crasher has a couple of times, I stay in the bar at the hotel below... excellent whiskey

mikeote
09-01-2017, 03:39 PM
You're a classy dude Crasher. I checked out what it'd take, some awkward bolts but I'm sure I'll get em out.

Cheers!
Mike

Crasher
09-01-2017, 06:24 PM
Most people just say odd or weird...