PDA

View Full Version : HDMI interface for Smart Phone

Q7quattro
07-01-2017, 11:22 AM
Has anyone retrofitted this which provides HDMI screen mirroring ?

http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.php?productid=369&cat=0&page= (http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.php?productid=369&cat=0&page=1)

and a copy of the installation instructions, is there enough room to install the box and cables behind the climate and head unit ?

http://www.audiworld.com/forums/attachments/a8-s8-d4-platform-discussion-190/42568d1414860798-smartphone-mirroring-hdmi-front-camera-xcarlink-audi-3g-mmi-hdmi-mirror-av-interface-v1.pdf

i would imagine if you wanted to install it in the glovebox the OEM LVDS cable wouldn't be long enough to reach ?

bluelights
07-01-2017, 11:46 AM
I've been looking into this as well, my car is MY2015 so no AMI in centre console, I've seen another box called HD LINK, which says for my model but can't see anyone that has it installed. Be good to hear if anyone has installed any of these.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Q7quattro
07-01-2017, 12:39 PM
I've had good look on the web but couldn't find anyone that has installed it.

before I had my A6. , I had a Q7 and installed the xcarlink for the 2g mmi , it was connected via RCA connectors , image wasn't great due to the limitation of the screen resolution ....but v easy to install.

Q7quattro
07-01-2017, 04:53 PM
The HDMI interface can only be installed if you have the Tech Pack (MMI touch etc)

Dieseldoos
08-01-2017, 08:43 PM
If you do not have ami in the consol, then if you fit the xcarlink box, it will give you various inputs including the abilty of screen mirroring without having tech pack. There is plenty of room to install this behind, but if you want the cables in the centre consol you would need to get longer cables to route them. The main xcarlink install is straight forward, bit more involved to route cables to the centre consol but doable in a few hours

Q7quattro
08-01-2017, 09:04 PM
If you do not have ami in the consol, then if you fit the xcarlink box, it will give you various inputs including the abilty of screen mirroring without having tech pack. There is plenty of room to install this behind, but if you want the cables in the centre consol you would need to get longer cables to route them. The main xcarlink install is straight forward, bit more involved to route cables to the centre consol but doable in a few hours

have you installed the xcarlink in your A6 ?

Dieseldoos
08-01-2017, 09:48 PM
I helped a mate put one in his. (similar spec to mine)I plan on fitting one in mine in the spring, same time as I carbon wrap the silver trim inside. Had one on our A4 B8.

Q7quattro
08-01-2017, 10:43 PM
I helped a mate put one in his. (similar spec to mine)I plan on fitting one in mine in the spring, same time as I carbon wrap the silver trim inside. Had one on our A4 B8.

good that there is room behind the climate/head unit - how did you attach the xcarlink to the car to stop it moving around when driving?

Does your mates A6 have the tech pack ? Wondering if it's true HD?

Dieseldoos
09-01-2017, 12:59 PM
My mates has not got tech pack and neither has mine. Picture is very good but I believe the screen on those with tech pack is a little better anyway.

The actual box is held in place behind with high tech velcro pads! But it keeps it in place. All the wiring is tidy and cable tied against the standard loom. Roll on when the weather gets better so I can fit mine!

Q7quattro
09-01-2017, 09:54 PM
My mates has not got tech pack and neither has mine. Picture is very good but I believe the screen on those with tech pack is a little better anyway.

The actual box is held in place behind with high tech velcro pads! But it keeps it in place. All the wiring is tidy and cable tied against the standard loom. Roll on when the weather gets better so I can fit mine!

Can you remember how long the LVDS cable is that links the Audi head unit to the MMI screen ? - thinking about putting the xcarlink in the glove box , wondering if it will reach (no worries if you can't recall)

agreed re the weather - cheesed off with Dark evenings!

Dieseldoos
13-01-2017, 09:10 PM
I am pretty sure there was enough spare wire, my mate didnt want to do that, but I will probably do that when I fit mine. Thats how I did my A4.

Q7quattro
16-01-2017, 07:51 PM

hi dieseldoos, any chance of a some pics of your mates MMI screen with his phone displayed on it.

best way to get a good pic of mmi screen , insert SD card in slot 1 and press TEL and MEDIA together and it will save the MMI screen to the SD card (pretty sure it's TEL and MEDIA together , hopefully some one will chime in if I'm wrong )

cheers