PDA

View Full Version : Engine rattling sound when idle, TDI 2.0 GT

K21000
05-01-2017, 08:27 PM
This sound started a couple of days ago and is only noticeable when idle. It comes and goes, but is mostly there and it worries me a little. The car is meticulously serviced, has relatively low mileage for it’s age (70k) and runs perfectly. Cambelt is also nowhere near due for replacement. I think this short vid clip I made may point out where the sound is coming from. The alloy housing behind the alternator pully seems to be moving in time to the noise. Is this something to worry about? I have spoke to a local garage and they seem unsure where the noise is coming from, so no help. I personally think that it is coming from where I have pointed out. Any ideas and advice are much appreciated.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/clouddrive/share/4cOUDJXMsvxLvJndV0BMUmGCALqunCzuKSnbE0nENqg?v=grid&ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

atif_1
05-01-2017, 08:41 PM
Hi mate. Flywheels are very common on these. Makes a similar noise, does it still
Make the noise if you put the clutch in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K21000
05-01-2017, 09:11 PM
That's a great point. Never even thought of that. I will check. I know my car had a new clutch/DMF only 3 years ago though.