PDA

View Full Version : 98 passat headlight removal;

cornish
22-10-2007, 09:01 PM
can anyone tell me how the hell you remove the headlights, please tell me you dont have to take all the front bumper off

cornish
07-11-2007, 03:17 PM
somebody must no how to do this ,,,,,

KeithS
07-11-2007, 05:57 PM
somebody must no how to do this ,,,,,

Its quite easy - no you don't need to remove the bumper.

Unplug the wiring from the rear of the headlights. You'll need to remove the air intake duct to get better access to the right hand light, this is secured by two screws - undo these and pull.

Next undo the indicator lights - there is a spring thing that needs to be unclipped before the will come out, no need to undo the wiring though.

Undo the headlight securing bolts - two on top and one at the side, which is why you need to remove the indicators. Then with a bit of joggling the headlight can be removed.

If you're replacing the headlights, you need to remove the motor that controls the height adjustment and refit on your new lights. If I recall right, this was a bit tricky until you learn the hang of how to do it, just take your time.

When you replace the headlights you'll need to get the beam adjustment checked.

tonyp1
25-05-2015, 12:14 AM
Can you recall exactly the steps to remove the headlight motor from the old unit, I would like to install new aftermarket headlights and any details would be helpful
Many thanks.

KeithS
25-05-2015, 08:51 AM
Can you recall exactly the steps to remove the headlight motor from the old unit, I would like to install new aftermarket headlights and any details would be helpful
Many thanks.

sorry, that was years ago. I replaced a headlight with a VW equivalent one and it took a bit of time figuring it out but there wasn't anything particularly awkward about it. I have a golf these days...

Doctle Odd
25-05-2015, 08:53 AM
Many thanks.

Twist the motor through 90 degrees and it comes out of the light

tonyp1
25-05-2015, 04:53 PM
Thanks for your reply, Tony