PDA

View Full Version : Question Limp mode without warning??

sameasalways
31-12-2016, 12:02 PM
Hi, I'm a newbie here...

We have a 2012 Q5 2.0 TDI (approx. 45,000 miles) which went into limp mode without warning at 75mph, or thereabouts, in the fast lane of the motorway last week.

Having been cruising along quite happily, within a matter of seconds the car had lost significant power and was within a few inches (literally) of being rear ended by a large van.

We managed to get across the neighbouring lanes to the hard shoulder, but my question is... why no warning? As far as I'm concerned this could have been a catastrophic incident.

It wasn't until we turned the engine off and on again (cue serious shuddering) that the engine warning light came on, and by then we were focused on getting away from the car.

No codes showed on the AA diagnostics, and the car was in with Audi for a few days before they came back with 'turbo failure'. Now waiting for the dealership to reopen after New Year.

I was also surprised that the turbo would fail at this age and mileage? We've had the car from new and as a family car it hasn't been pushed to its limits at any stage.

My main concern though is that a car can effectively throw on the brakes (going into limp mode at 70mph having the same effect) without any warning whatsoever to the driver.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Alan02
02-01-2017, 09:53 PM
If it was a sudden mechanical issue with the Turbo, there would be no warning initially. Not a great time to have the turbo fail, but any vehicle would act in a similar way if it lost its boost.

Rob69
02-01-2017, 11:03 PM
I've read here and heard from others that the turbo vnt actuator is prone to fail on these engines, glad you got to the hard shoulder ok, not a pleasant experience.