PDA

View Full Version : Ambient light - retrofit ,dashboard -like a4/q7 installed

Q7quattro
26-12-2016, 06:42 PM
Prob not everyone's cup of tea , but I've fitted ambient lighting to the dashboard similar to the new Q7/A4.

i connected it to the footwell lights , so the lighting can be dimmed via the MMI.

In day light you wouldnt even know that a lighting strip has been fitted around the edge of the aluminium trim (it's flush with the trim and doesn't protrude in any way.

In the photos the strip is at its brightest, and can be dimmed right down so it gives of a faint "glow"

if anyone would like close up of the strip in the daylight , let me know and will take some pics tomo.

Saan
26-12-2016, 06:44 PM
Prob not everyone's cup of tea , but I've fitted ambient lighting to the dashboard similar to the new Q7/A4.

i connected it to the footwell lights , so the lighting can be dimmed via the MMI.

In day light you wouldnt even know that a lighting strip has been fitted around the edge of the aluminium trim (it's flush with the trim and doesn't protrude in any way - it only becomes apparent as light levels change.

In the photos the strip is at its brightest, and can be dimmed right down so it gives of a faint "glow"

Looks nice pal. Good effort.

Have you got any pics of it whilst it is dim?

Q7quattro
26-12-2016, 06:52 PM
Cheers!

Here you go

morski
26-12-2016, 09:49 PM
Not bad, What did you use for the lighting strip?

IGM
26-12-2016, 10:05 PM
Oh this looks awesome, would love some more details on install and where the parts are from

Thanks

Q7quattro
26-12-2016, 10:31 PM
Very easy to task , you don't need to remove the trim, just slightly prise the trim away from the dashbaord with the spatula provided with the OLED light strip and lay the trim in place

It took me about 15 minutes to lay the strip around the trim , fits perfectly round the corners , I cut off the 12v cigarette plug (see eBay pic) and connected into the footwell lights

as said in previous post , in the light of day you would even realise it had been fitted , looks OEM

total cost is £4.89p including postage.

i will probably buy another set and install either side of the transmission tunnel, and possibly the door panels (although this would be more involved)

A link to the OLED strip on eBay

White Panel Gap Interior Trim Light Cold EL Neon Lamp Atmosphere Glow OLED Strip | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/White-Panel-Gap-Interior-Trim-Light-Cold-EL-Neon-Lamp-Atmosphere-Glow-OLED-Strip-/400956623824?hash=item5d5ae08bd0:g:FXcAAOSwjVVVo1w t)

Q7quattro
26-12-2016, 10:34 PM
Light Strip can be purchased in differant colours , but for me I think white is best, may well look good with blue/red - personal choice.

IGM
26-12-2016, 10:37 PM
Have placed an order

Thank you :)

Q7quattro
26-12-2016, 10:41 PM
Have placed an order

Thank you :)

no worries ! , will take a pic of the installed lighting strip tomo in daylight to show how well it fits.

morski
27-12-2016, 11:58 AM
Does it dim smoothly without any 'juddering'? EL light doesnt normally like to be dimmed.

Q7quattro
28-12-2016, 11:41 AM
Does it dim smoothly without any 'juddering'? EL light doesnt normally like to be dimmed.

when car is unlocked / locked in the dark , both the brightness of the footwell LEDs and my retrofitted strip "fade" and get "brighter " without any flickering .