PDA

View Full Version : Audi A7 3.0 TDI help first time buyer

amir_a7
22-12-2016, 12:08 PM
Hi guys,

I am new to the forum and new to Audis! I currently own a skyline gtr r33 and a golf gti. But selling them now!

So im looking at an a7 3.0 tdi quattro 245 bhp version.

My real question is what gearbox version do i go for? i hear the s tronic gearboxes can be very unreliable and expensive to fix when they go wrong?

Also what mpg do they give on motorways?

Thanks

M1tchy
22-12-2016, 01:05 PM
I've got the tip tronic (bi tdi engine) and love it. Not as smooth as the wife's S-tronic but you would only know the difference if you drove both regularly like I do.

In mine I get 44-46 mpg on motorway runs and the wife get 45-47 on the same runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amir_a7
22-12-2016, 02:08 PM
Hmm thats good mpg for a big car! Im guessing thats at 70mph?

Also how reliable are the tiptronic gearboxes compared to the s stronic? I been reading they have a lot of issues.

Thanks

M1tchy
22-12-2016, 02:17 PM
Not had an issue with either of mine yet so can't comment.

My mpg is at 80mph

Gareth_Rees
22-12-2016, 02:43 PM
I've got a 245 Tiptronic and it's great - I recently had a brand new 272 loaner with an S-tronic gearbox, and, whilst it felt a fair bit sportier/aggressive, it was a lot less comfortable and I found it very jerky at low speeds.
Interesting that Mitchy finds it smoother, though.

MPG wise on the motorways I get anywhere from 42-47 depending on the route at 85.

In terms of reliability mine has never had an issue - like you I've read that the s-tronic ones can have issues, and when they do they are very expensive!

Either way, I wouldn't get too hung up on waiting for one gearbox - the rest of the car age/mileage/condition/history etc is probably more important!

Moogie
22-12-2016, 10:29 PM
I've same engine/gearbox you are looking at, 245 Tiptronic 3.0 TDI Quattro s-line. Gearbox very smooth, and I get about 50mpg on motorways when doing 70mph.
Another plus, is that a tiptronic gearbox is supposedly sealed for life so doesn't need a £225 oil and filter change at 38k, whereas s-tronic does.

Gazwould
22-12-2016, 11:24 PM
Why are you selling appreciating cars ?

AK88
23-12-2016, 09:24 PM
I went for a tiptronic as it avoids the gearbox oil change which I'm questioning now whether to have it serviced, as its a long term car for me

Car feels great with mpg returns as above and more responsive in sport,

amir_a7
23-12-2016, 09:26 PM
Thenks for the help people. The skyline just requires too much time and money i got s chance to make a healthy profit on it so might aswell cash in and buy something luxury.

MarkTM
23-12-2016, 09:33 PM
Sealed for life is what Audi say on a tiptronic, the gearbox manufacturer (ZF) states 80k and then every 50k

Weird that Audi don't guarantee them for life and (IIRC) it's 80k miles....coincidence??

So I'll go with what the actual gearbox maker says :)