PDA

View Full Version : Wiring in dash cam

MattB247
18-12-2016, 10:21 PM
Has anybody wired in a dash cam to a Passat? I'm thinking that I may be able to either run a wire from the fuse box into the cabin, along the A pillar to near the rear view mirror, or take a feed from the console in the roof. Am I on the right track or has anybody got any better suggestions / experience?

Thanks!

gamichea
19-12-2016, 06:32 PM
I looked at this and decided against doing it myself as the fuse box is hidden behind the glove box and I did not fancy undertaking the disassembly work having read the access instructions in the handbook. A quick chat with the Master Tech. at my dealer was all that was needed and they did the fuse box end of the work. I had already installed this dash cam SG9665GC | Dash Cam Talk (https://dashcamtalk.com/sg9665gc/#Where_to_purchase_for_lowest_price) to the left of and behind the rear view mirror and run the cable to the dashboard behind the windscreen trim. The workshop has hidden the final part of the cable completely behind the dashboard. This is an unswitched connection feeding the dashcam via an anti battery depletion device from the same supplier because the cam has a supercapacitor in place of a battery. I have had no issues with this arrangement.

If you want a switched connection that is also available. I had a charger for my satnav connected to a switched connection at the same time and the USB cable from it run behind the dash to exit from where the steering column emerges from the dashboard.

MattB247
22-12-2016, 07:29 PM
Thanks - I see Halfords will install for a tenner but I'm dubious about letting them do the work! How much did VW charge you?

jimgironde
23-12-2016, 12:35 AM
bet it was more than a tenner:biglaugh:

FLAPPERJACK76
23-12-2016, 12:48 AM
Good luck with Halfords they can't even fit bulbs the right way round. And also there bike assembly... well ...my mate ordered one for assembly and collection and when they wheeled it out to him he found the front forks were fitted the wrong way round. I'm not even going to mention the van they set fire to when they fitted a battery recently.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

MattB247
23-12-2016, 03:39 PM
Haha friend of mine had the "forks the wrong way round" issue with Halfords too, they didn't even realise until I pointed it out after they posted a pic on Facebook.

gamichea
23-12-2016, 07:54 PM
Thanks - I see Halfords will install for a tenner but I'm dubious about letting them do the work! How much did VW charge you?

I'm away for the festive season. I"ll check when back home. The dealer is in semi rural Lincolnshire so labour rates are reasonable. I had other work done at the same time. I'll try and identify the time taken by the cabling work..

MattB247
03-01-2017, 09:43 AM
Sorted: the 12v adapter cable that came with it was just long enough that I could feed it from the point next to the rear view mirror (had to site it left of the mirror so it didn't cover the light sensor) and poked it behind the roof lining, along between the A pillar and the windscreen, down the side of the glovebox, underneath to the centre console where I pushed it up behind the console plastic to the rear seats where it plugs into the rear 12v socket. Saves messing around with wiring, doesn't cause any warranty issues and it's removable if I ever need to get it out.

gamichea
04-01-2017, 08:48 PM
Glad you got it sorted. I have used that approach in the past for satnavs. It works well as long as a switched supply is acceptable.

The work I had done cost £100 plus the VAT. Don't know the time but at the same time I had four mudflaps fitted which is a wheels off job that cost £50 plus the VAT and I reckon an hour or a bit less is reasonable so probably about two hours for the cabling. They made a good job, you can't see any evidence of the cabling installation which is what I wanted.