PDA

View Full Version : 2.5 Tdi

Dannorman
22-10-2007, 10:39 AM
Hello

Does anyone have any experience running this engine on veg oil? I am considering buying one which already has a preheater on it but the present owner only runs it on bio. Does the practice of thinning the oil in winter with white spirit, petrol or a specific oil viscosity reducing agent do the trick and enable long term reliable running through the winter or do you need the whole 2-tank system to run SVO?

Dan:1zhelp:

tut_gareth
01-11-2007, 01:12 PM
hi

Good question. i have just started to run my A6 C4 2.5tdi on veg oil and it seems to be running ok with a 50 / 50 diesel / veg oil mix.

The I5 tdi engine (aat / ael ) comes with a bosch pump so no worries in that department. and its a matter of preference as to what system to use. i'm using a single tank system as it is less complicated

i am going to put a heating system on it, the car runs a bit sluggishly for the firt 5-10 mins but is fine afeter that. i would definatley receommend some form of heater though.

check out www.vow2.co.uk (http://www.vow2.co.uk). i'm thinking about getting one of these.

there is quite a bit of info about too, i just typed veg oil into google and found good info.

it smells lovely too hehe.

ozskins
11-11-2007, 12:45 AM
how about 100% bio diesel? anyone any experiences

Dannorman
12-11-2007, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the reply. Have since bought this car. It has one of the VoW2 preheaters on it and seems to run very well on the biodiesel given to me with the car . Havent tried SVO yet. think will stick to 50/50 or so for now.

You're right, lots of info out there but a lot of it seems to cotradict, or be biased towards a particular system if on a commercial site. What I would like to find is actual personal recommendation from someone running this engine.

I have read that 5% petrol/ white spirit is enough to stop SVO winter thickening. Also read quite a few scary stories about SVO 'ruining' good engines... any thoughts?

Regards, Danno

'82 coupe GT5s - my favourite thing
'94 100E 2.5tdi - 170,000 and still going strong
'97 Saab 9000 2.3T -ready for MOT tomorrow
'88 Saab 900i - hiding in the fuscia

tut_gareth
14-11-2007, 02:00 PM
What is it like to start from cold with the Vow2?

as at the moment mine takes a few cranks to get it firing on the 50/50 mix where as with pure diesel it fires first time.

heard those stories about petrol mix too think the white spirit would be better though.

Cheers.

Gareth

dezza583
16-11-2007, 09:48 PM
gareth, have got a 2001 2.5 tdi and was wondering how you start using straight veg oil and what mixes to use, if anyone could enlighten me then i would be really grateful, dezza
hi

Good question. i have just started to run my A6 C4 2.5tdi on veg oil and it seems to be running ok with a 50 / 50 diesel / veg oil mix.

The I5 tdi engine (aat / ael ) comes with a bosch pump so no worries in that department. and its a matter of preference as to what system to use. i'm using a single tank system as it is less complicated

i am going to put a heating system on it, the car runs a bit sluggishly for the firt 5-10 mins but is fine afeter that. i would definatley receommend some form of heater though.

check out www.vow2.co.uk (http://www.vow2.co.uk). i'm thinking about getting one of these.

there is quite a bit of info about too, i just typed veg oil into google and found good info.

it smells lovely too hehe.

adamss24
16-11-2007, 10:56 PM
gareth, have got a 2001 2.5 tdi and was wondering how you start using straight veg oil and what mixes to use, if anyone could enlighten me then i would be really grateful, dezza
Forget abot running your V6 on vegetable oil !!!! The thread was describeing useing the oil to run old shape 5 pots 2.5 tdi, aka. inline 5 ! Running an v6 tdi on leads to early failure of the injection pump...

tut_gareth
19-11-2007, 01:08 PM
from the few bits i have read on the tinternet, adamss24 is right that the V6 doesn't like veg oil, although there must be a few poeple running them.

tut_gareth
22-11-2007, 01:46 PM
just run mine on rapeseed oil rather than sunflower and it goes a lot better. think i'm stayuing with SVO rather than using old veg oil.

dezza583
23-11-2007, 09:43 PM
are you running your v6 on rapeseed oil and are you aware of any trouble that we may encounter in the future with it before i change the car and go lpg.

tut_gareth
26-11-2007, 10:07 AM
Mine is not a V6 its the Early (C4a platform) Inline 5cyl 2.5Tdi engine, which is a bit more robust than the V6.

Just heard that Mr brown will be increasing the taxation on LPG in the next year or so so it may not be worth changing to LPG.

I think the V6 will run on SVO with the correct heating and fuel additives. you'll just have to wade through all the info on the veg oil forums out there.

regards.

Gareth

dhandaulat33
28-12-2007, 08:41 AM
Hi all, if there is a business which is operated by government, what kind of business model should they use? Or what kind of management method should they use? The model or the method has to make workers work more efficiently and effectively. It is a government's business. I get it but I don’t really know how to express myself, can anybody help me answer it?

dean warren
31-12-2007, 12:16 PM
how about 100% bio diesel? anyone any experiences hi yes i run mine on 100% bio, she ran fine, straight from cold, although i have done some reading up and they say it will put a big strain on the pump in the cold weather, then to top it off i was working in colchester essex and found a local retailer selling bio, i got 5 minutes down the road, and the car lost power and started missing and back firing, striped the two week old fillter off, it was full of crap! had injectors cleaned, and had to replace the needle lift sensor, now the heater has stopped so she's sitting at home waiting to get a new water pump on

ozskins
02-01-2008, 01:03 AM
hi dean
really interested in your experiences as this is exactly what i would like to do have a petrol 100avant at mo but want to change. which models good bad do you make your own whos kit etc etc. would be really greatfull to hear of your experiences
thanks

dean warren
02-01-2008, 07:55 PM
hi i just purchase bio diesel from local companies that produce it from waste oil, it was around 79P a liter but its around 90P now due to their greed as the normal fuel rises they have no competition so raise their price, i get same mileage same power same starting and running on 100% but as i say recent research on the net has produced some info which says I'm putting severe extra strain on my pump and you should only run max 50/50.
i do run normal diesel, but a fill up with bio run it low then refill to half a tank till i can find bio local or i go home.
only ill affects were filter and injectors full of crap due to in my opinion a poor source of bio fuel in colchester.
i run a 94 2.5 TDi A6 Avant with the I5 5 cyl Diesel she has 292,000 on the clock and feels like shes done 30,000.

ozskins
04-01-2008, 01:09 AM
thanks dean v interesting

tut_gareth
25-01-2008, 12:04 AM
hi

i'm back to using diesel in these winter months as i'm having cold start issues even with the heaters i have installed.

though the issue is not starting it is the fact it takes a while to get started. thought it may be the glow plugs in the engine but it turned out to run fine on normal diesel. so i'll wait till the weather warms uyp again before using SVO

on the cost thing i'm paying about 70p a litre for pure vegetable(rapeseed) oil from tesco's ( other supermarkets are available ) though i think i may have found some slightly cheaper from another source[/LEFT]

audijay73
05-09-2009, 01:21 AM
my mate runs his 2.5vw lt on straight bio its an r reg van and im convinced it will run on coal but joking appart my van is a 53 plate 2.5 t4 and she is cool with 100% bio every now and the i visit satans forecourt with twenty quid