PDA

View Full Version : Question Gearbox issues or is it just me?

grazzeee
07-12-2016, 09:30 AM
Ok so changing gear has been some what of a horrible thing to do recently... It feels like a really slow process... It feels a lot slower than what it should be?

So I have always been under the impression that if your foot is down on the clutch its safe to change gear, despite what the rev meter is saying?

However recently i've had to wait until my rev counter sits still just below 10,000 revs. Any attempt to change gear before the rev counter hits the bottom position and remains fixed below 10,000 means I am trying to navigate the gear stick through a maze of jagged edges and cogs.

How ever if I change gear for example 1st to 2nd before the rev dial hits the fixed position i can get a nice gear change... one out of 10 times maybe?

Thing is though when i'm at 30,000 revs in gear 3 for example put my clutch down its about 3 seconds before the dial hits the fixed position just below 10,000 and its safe for me to change gear? Does golf has a slow clutch release or is there something wrong somewhere?

Having to wait three seconds to change gear after the clutch is pressed seems far to long. At roundabouts and junctions its starting to become a real pain. One second seems more normal?

Also sometimes if I wait for the rev counter to hit the still position bellow 10,000 revs i still get horrible gear changes from time to time? This is what makes me think there is something wrong somewhere? Perhaps my clutch isn't disengaging properly or something?

Any help or insight would be great.

Cheers

niall campbell
07-12-2016, 04:14 PM
I take it we are talking 1,000 rpm , 3,000 rpm and not 10,000 rpm where your engine will blow up ?

The fixed position I take it is around 850 rpm , engine idle speed or tickover

Without actually driving the car and feeling it, it seems that perhaps you are a bit impatient without fitting a quick shift gearbox

However when the car is parked up with handbrake on, engine just ticking over ....................................... the gearstick without you touching it be sitting between 2nd & 3rd gear. You should then be able to put your foot on the clutch and push the stick into 3rd or 4th gear in a straight angle

If you change gear and snap in the clutch pedal and snap your foot back out, your going to either have a slipping clutch or knackered gearbox

Take your time changing gear or give to your trusted garage for a mechanic to test drive. It could also possibly be the gearchange rods need realigned