PDA

View Full Version : 3.0 TDI versus 3.0 S4?

skymaster
03-12-2016, 05:58 PM
Hi, current car is a Revo'd 3.0 TDI V6 quattro saloon (pushing about 280 break) ... manual box...

Thinking about next car and looking at 2013 / 14 S4s 3.0 V6 (333 ps out of the box, but looks like it Revo's to 400 + ) ...

The S4 is obviously going to be faster... but I do really love the current car, it has morr torque than you could wave a stick at...

worth upgrading do you think? or running the TDI into the ground? (currently on 80k miles)

Do the facelift cars have any better features / tech aside from nicer looking bumpers and lights?

Gunnark100
03-12-2016, 06:42 PM
Do the facelift cars have any better features / tech aside from nicer looking bumpers and lights?

Not much:Prefl S4 vs FL S4
Notable Changes for B8.5 (MY 2013-2016)
-S4 model now utilizes electric power steering (http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=power+steering) for improved economy and weight savings
-Redline lowered from
-New design flat bottom steering wheel and new S-Tronic shift knob
-New Driver Assistance package includes Audi adaptive cruise control and dynamic steering (http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=steering)
-Audi MMI Navigation plus now includes Audi connect and Bluetooth® streaming audio, including Google maps, and revised/simplified button layout
-New interior and exterior color combinations
-New headlights, foglights, front bumper including grill, new taillights, headlights and taillights not interchangeable from B8 to B8.5

if you like your current tdi with present torque, keep it, still low mileage!

Gazwould
03-12-2016, 08:00 PM
Still much potential in the TDI without mpg loss .

Intake mods , intercooler , hybrid turbo , exhaust , etc .

Just chopping off the back boxes is worth 20 bhp !

The S4 is wonderful supercharger beast but it sucks more petrol than a Dutch hooker .

skymaster
04-12-2016, 04:10 PM
Cheers for this, yes. the S4 will be a guzzler compared to the 3.0 TDI. My head says stick with the current car, it's spec'd as high as possible for the year... maybe i'll wait for the facelift S4s to sink a bit further in value before I consider changing. Currently a 2013 S4 with 30k miles is worth more than double my car...

lithium
05-12-2016, 06:55 PM
Hello,

What mpg are you getting in the tdi?

I was in between the S4 and 3.0 tdi, but in the end I went for the tdi as best of both worlds - good power and from what i understood, economical especially when compared to the S4.
However!! I'm finding that my commute is killing my MPG and I may well have gone for a S4.

Don't you fancy the new model S4?? :)

skymaster
06-12-2016, 08:14 AM
Hi

I average about 30 mpg on the TDI 3.0. Which for a 240 BHP + car (more in my Revo'd case) is pretty amazing ... also considering it's a heavy car with 4WD. Best I ever got on a frugal motorway run was 44 MPG... After the revo I didn't notice any change in MPG, but the car absolutely flies... it is really quick ... in 3rd, 4th or 5th it just pulls like a train....

The new S4..... Looks totally awesome, but starting at 44k for a basic model so at least 55 by the time enough spec has been put in it to make it worth getting... I can remember when a house didn't cost that much ... The deprecation will be eye watering... I'm not really into the idea of effectively renting the car through PCP and splurging £1000s on interest to never actually own the car... next month the finance on mine will be fully paid off so I'll finally own the thing outright ;-)

Gazwould
06-12-2016, 09:05 AM
3.0 tdi especially tuned is the overall one to have...

But I'd just like to say this...

https://youtu.be/7twAvzvlevA

MiniMental
06-12-2016, 09:28 AM
3.0 tdi especially tuned is the overall one to have...

But I'd just like to say this...

https://youtu.be/7twAvzvlevA

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG *panting*.

2005 Passat Variant PD130..

No school like the old school...

andylef
08-12-2016, 01:45 PM
Also have a 3.0 TDI V6 Quattro but 2009 Avant. Only 58k on the clock and an ex-demo, so well spec'd. Not mapped yet and am interested in getting it revo'd. Have you noticed any issues with the car? also have the Audi drive system - wondering whether this is impacted by the map? just can't get enough of it.
For a bit of novalty have also bought this (https://obdeleven.com/)rather than VCDS. works well and is a lot cheaper (and no I have nothing to do with the company.) :biglaugh:

ziggycol
09-12-2016, 01:34 PM
The S4 is an awesome beast if you can stomach its dipsomaniac tendencies. I don't think the changes for the 2013+ model are significant enough to really make much difference. If you really want to sample the delights of S4 examples of the previous version are now good value. My 2010 Avant is massively specified, only done 50k and I absolutely love it. It's a joy to drive in either cruise or press-on mode, and will stay with most things on the road; but is equally at home with a couple of mountain bikes thrown in the back or lugging a 2 ton caravan. It really is one of the best 'do everything' cars ever.

Gazwould
09-12-2016, 07:45 PM
The 3.0 tdi has as an ace up it's sleeve .

Get the right turbo , fueling , intercooler , exhaust , etc and 900 Nm of torque can be yours .

Alex jb
09-12-2016, 08:53 PM
If the runway surface wasn't so shockingly bad at Bruntingthorpe they would have broken the 180.
It was fun working at Brunt, seen Revo thrash some cool cars down that runway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk