PDA

View Full Version : Question Can LEaky EOS seals be Recovered with Krytox?

½cwt
03-12-2016, 12:04 PM
Looking at getting an EOS 2009 model on a 59 plate.

Just concerned about the roof seals.

If the seals are not physically damaged i.e. not cut or scuffed, will Krytox/ VW G 052 172 A1 refresh them, or is there a point of no return in the life of the seals if they haven't been treated regularly?

zollaf
03-12-2016, 12:39 PM
maybe, maybe not, but its an expensive guess unless someone can catagorically say yes. they need treating every 6 months and you are going to be paying about a grand for the seals from vw, and whatever it costs to fit them, if you can find someone to do it. me personally, i would find something else that the roof comes off.

½cwt
05-12-2016, 04:04 PM
Thanks zollaf

The seals are undamaged, just a case of bringing them back to life which is apparently possible if there is no damage. Having checked for no damage on the seals and no evidence of other leaks I bit the bullet and the wife's mid-life crisis is not being address, if a few years later than she wanted... Talked the dealer down another 10% on his original offer. December's a good time to buy something with a removable roof!

Re your other point, I'd have preferred something else but she requires 4 seats to satisfy her employer's demands otherwise it would have been a rather different choice as you say.

½cwt
13-03-2017, 04:03 PM
It would seem you can revive seals. Having tracked minor leaks around the driver's side and treated with a good dose of Krytox a couple of times in the last three months (including giving all the seals a good wash down with washing up detergent and drying them off first) and now all watertight even in the jet wash at the car wash and in heavy persistent rainfall. Don't be discouraged by a but of damp it can be dealt with but do use it to batter down the price.