PDA

View Full Version : Question Switch off engine and check coolant level

Nemo78
30-11-2016, 01:44 PM
Just after some thoughts if possible as searching for similar threads here didn't really throw up what I was after.

The car for the last week intermittently keeps throwing up the warning 'Switch off engine and check coolant level' and then after a short time disappears.

Coolant level is fine and was just above the minimum level and no where close too the level of sensors however topped it up.

Warning still comes up every now and then, got roadside assist to have a look as thought could be faulty sensor or loss of pressure (no leaks) and they could not diagnose anything.

Waiting for dealership to take the car and figure out what's wrong but undoubtedly the warning will not come up for them and diagnostics show no faults so they will just return car is my guess.

Has anyone come across anything like this at all or any ideas what the issue maybe?

Car is a 2014 Ultra model...

Thanks in advance...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A6S
30-11-2016, 04:27 PM
If it's at the minimum then it can possibly set off the sensor when you corner as the water swooshes about. Just put a bit of water/coolant in and see if it drops that will prove a leak. It might stop setting off the sensor.

Nemo78
30-11-2016, 05:28 PM
If it's at the minimum then it can possibly set off the sensor when you corner as the water swooshes about. Just put a bit of water/coolant in and see if it drops that will prove a leak. It might stop setting off the sensor.

Thanks A6S, defo not at minimum as after topping up on Monday warning came on twice yesterday and even then couldn't see any drop in level.

From seeing where the sensor is the coolant would need to be very low.

Should've added engine temperature is fine and not overheating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A6S
30-11-2016, 06:15 PM
I would try unplugging the sensor to make sure that the terminals aren't corroded and if all looks fine then replace sensor

Sw1000
16-02-2017, 10:59 PM
Did you ever find out what this was? Mine has just started playing up

Nemo78
17-02-2017, 07:35 AM
Did you ever find out what this was? Mine has just started playing up

Nope was very strange...even Audi kept it for a couple of days and couldn't find anything wrong.

It's behaved since aswell so all very strange

ukgroucho
17-02-2017, 10:53 AM
It may be that Audi unplugged the sensor and either intentionally or inadventently cleaned the contacts just as a part of routine inspection - hence even though nothing was "fixed" it has not played up since.

Might be worth giving that a go Sw1000....

Sw1000
17-02-2017, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, hopefully will get it sorted by Audi on Monday. Will let everyone know how I get on.

aaronvg
18-02-2017, 01:44 AM
I just posted a reply about this just now and mentioned I had exactly the same problem recently. It seems as though the sensor at the bottom of the coolant bottle gets deposits which seems to cause the error. I had the coolant top up bottle changed and that solved it for me, looks as though it is a known problem several VW/Audi models so not specific to the A6. Will see how you get on on Monday.

Sheroo
13-10-2017, 10:05 PM
Did you ever get to the bottom of this one?

Nemo78
13-10-2017, 10:49 PM
Mine seemed to have resolved itself - either that or Audi hanged something whilst it was with them but if they did they didn’t tell me.

Sheroo
13-10-2017, 11:07 PM
Thanks mine has just started, I think I'll clean the sensor tomorrow, is it easy to get to?

Sheroo
14-10-2017, 03:40 PM
Can some kind soul please advise how to remove the sensor, do I remove the entire black connector or is it only the part with the two wires attached to? It seems nicely wedged in there and I'm nervous I might break something.34145

johnro79
31-07-2020, 02:43 PM
i just had the same warnings. temp outside was showing 36.5 and oil was on full, telling me to remove a bit

never happened before. what shall i do?

is it the heat? is it the coolant? i drove through london 20-40 mph for about 3 hrs and it was coming up every time i was stopped in traffic

I'm due for an oil change though. Hope that will fix it.
And replace the oil cap/lid too maybe. Almost 240k miles here

philipharmes
02-08-2020, 10:10 AM
If your have a diesel, it sounds like it has been trying to do a regen of the DPF.
Some of the extra diesel injected for the regen has ended up in the sump raising the oil level.

This can be dangerous if very much over full.

Either get the oil changed ( best option ) or drain some out to restore oil level to normal.

OmegaV6
02-08-2020, 11:13 AM
If your have a diesel, it sounds like it has been trying to do a regen of the DPF.
Some of the extra diesel injected for the regen has ended up in the sump raising the oil level.

This can be dangerous if very much over full.

Either get the oil changed ( best option ) or drain some out to restore oil level to normal.

I know I'm pretty thick... but what has "coolant level" got to do with "oil level" ??? Unless audi have changed the engine design in a major way the two systems are totally seperate ???

philipharmes
02-08-2020, 12:46 PM
I know I'm pretty thick... but what has "coolant level" got to do with "oil level" ??? Unless audi have changed the engine design in a major way the two systems are totally seperate ???

johnro79, the post immediately above mine posted "
oil was on full, telling me to remove a bit ".

I was answering that.