PDA

View Full Version : Question Why did vw stop making pd130 pd150 ect

Golf TD
27-11-2016, 08:28 PM
Why did Vw stop making the PD100 PD 110 PD115 PD130 PD150 PD160 and then replace it with PD105?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

zollaf
27-11-2016, 08:34 PM
same reason as they dropped the cheap and bombproof rotary pump engines and landrover dropped the equally brilliant and very similar 200 tdi, progress and emissions laws.. everything now is common rail.

Crasher
27-11-2016, 11:18 PM
All bow to the reduction of Co2 at the ex pence of everything else. You would think politicians were ignorant, blinkered, arrogant and live in a world different to the rest of us....ohh hang on....:banghead:

zollaf
27-11-2016, 11:32 PM
i dont get how an engine that will do 55 mpg day in day out at any speed and last for 500,000 miles is worse than an engine that will do 35 mpg and go bang at 100k.

zollaf
27-11-2016, 11:33 PM
unless of course you happen to be making said engines ..... ???

Crasher
27-11-2016, 11:57 PM
i dont get how an engine that will do 55 mpg day in day out at any speed and last for 500,000 miles is worse than an engine that will do 35 mpg and go bang at 100k.

Because one produced less Co2 than the other when new and that is all that matters. It's all a box ticking exercise. It is like these stupid electric cars, there was this woman in the Mail On Sunday going on about how her Nissan Twiglet only cost 2p per mile and so she is saving hundreds of pounds a year. Wheat she has yet to discover is that said same car is one of the worst deprecating cars ever, it looses £25K+ in three years, stick that in your pee per mile table MOS!

zollaf
28-11-2016, 12:00 AM
my old 80 has done 353,000 miles. owes me about 2k i spose in the 4 1/2 years and 50k i have had it. now thats an environmentally and pocket friendly car. and as for this electric nissan, where the heck does she think the electric comes from ??? oh i spose she is signed up to ecofriggintricity so it comes from apples and not coal or nuclear reactors. (nissan twiglet, hahahaha)

Crasher
28-11-2016, 12:01 PM
These people live in cloud cuckoo land, a separate reality which sane people can't see into. The other nasty with this electric car nonsense is batteries and simple maths. If one million EV cars are sold in the UK each year as the tree buggers want, eight years or so after that you are going to be seeing almost all the first couple of years cars come to the end of their battery life, there are a couple of worries here

1) On average an EV battery weighs half a tonne so from that point we are going to have to find a way of recycling five hundred million kilos of Lithium Ion batteries-EVERY YEAR! It is already uneconomic to recycle Lithium Ion batteries, dumping an extra half a billion kilos onto the pile in the UK alone is not going to help. Landfill here it comes....

2) A new battery for an Eh Up! me Duck is currently £8155 and eight pence, plus installation. No one in their right mind is going to spend £10k repairing a decade old milk float worth 87p, so more landfill..

How environmentally friendly is all that?

EVERYTHING is the search for on paper Co2 reductions so politicians and civil servants can tick boxes to stay on target... and on the gravy train.

zollaf
28-11-2016, 12:06 PM
not forgetting the whacking great big hole in the earth to mine the metals to make these batteries, and the mines required to make the wind turbines to make the electric to charge them.
i was sat in my car the other day eating a sarnie and decided to count how many wind turbines i can see. 70, about 70 of the damned eyesores. oh, each one consuming many tons of concrete as a base, which takes a heck of a lot of electric to make.

Gazwould
28-11-2016, 02:20 PM
All they care about is milking us with yesterday's technology to maximise profits at the expense of mother earth .

The future is HYDROGEN .

zollaf
28-11-2016, 02:41 PM
i actually think the future is the horse..

Crasher
28-11-2016, 04:32 PM
The future is HYDROGEN .

http://cdn.history.com/sites/2/2015/04/hith-hindenburg--E.jpeg

i actually think the future is the horse..

World's Most Dangerous Fly https://www.britannica.com/animal/tsetse-fly

https://media1.britannica.com/eb-media/99/24099-004-EB15ADB7.jpg

Col
28-11-2016, 08:59 PM
I'm firmly rooted back in the early 2000's and will be staying there car wise.

Wife has a 2001 Golf, me a 2003 Passat, both have the evergreen 130hp 1.9 PD engine.

I think there is less risk running these old cars than any newer one.

B5_Bandit
28-11-2016, 10:08 PM
They had to replace them cause these big car companies make more money selling a motor that blows at 100k and parts that break every 10 miles because the dealer is going to sell the car over and over and over again in just parts for the next 20 years per model

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crasher
28-11-2016, 11:03 PM
The "General" as you would call GM posses a 100k mile lifespan on the design of their NA market products, the USA sets the tone for the worlds product design so don't lecture us on "planned obsolescence" when you lot invented it!

zollaf
28-11-2016, 11:09 PM
and this is where the problem starts. in the 90's people could buy a vw or audi because they were the most reliable and best built cars on the planet. you only have to look about to see how many are left. heck, i have found audi 80's in the scrapyard that are far better than mine and only in there because of neglect and the scrappage scheme. people expect the same today and get bitterly dissapointed when their nice shiny ( and a new car is really shiny, look at some of these korean and vietnam or chinese offerings) new car fails at 3 years old and the warranty wont cover it, but instead of costing 45 quid and a 4 pack of stella, the garage want over seventy million pounds..

Crasher
28-11-2016, 11:35 PM
THE only thing that drives the auto industry is selling new cars, like it or loathe it, that IS the truth, the car manufacturers do not give a **** if the cars they sell are powered by petrol, diesel or sheep ****, all they care about is breaking even and that is a laudable aim, they give people jobs, both in the raw, making, selling and care for. THE problem is politicians have an obsession with their electability and that centres around Co2 and nothing else, the world is dangerously obsessed with Co2 to the detriment of everything else.

zollaf
28-11-2016, 11:39 PM
just a shame they cannot see the bigger picture and admit that most of the c02 produced by cars is during its construction and recycling. its getting worse now as well, more alluminium than ever used to make cars (plain old steel very easy to recycle) and more batteries which are a nightmare.

Col
29-11-2016, 02:14 AM
Co2 is so 2001.

Co2 was the evilist thing ever so everyone bought diesels as they chucked out less Co2, the gubberment didn't collect as much tax as a result. It is now all about NoX, nox nox nox and banning diesels which everyone was told was the answer when the obsession was Co2.

After all diesel cars are gone the next big fad will be 'toxic metals disposal' from electric car batteries and then everyone will be back in petrol cars but not as we know them, they will be 125cc capacity fitted with seven thimble sized turbo chargers and three super chargers for emission control purposes and will all run on distilled potatoe peelings juice. Instead of of a fuel flap there will be a little door where you lob in the peelings. Remappers will become home brewers.

They of course will be banned a few years later, the reason for which my imagination cannot stretch to at this time.

But after that we will be back riding horses and there will be horse sh*t everywhere. That is if the UK doesn't sink below the waves from the weight of over population.

Let's hope they do brexit properly and common sense returns instead.

zollaf
29-11-2016, 10:24 AM
no col, thats all wrong. i said horses are the future, and they are. when heated to 1000 degrees the horse gas will run a car with virtually zero emissions, just grass really, cos thats what horses eat.. sheep work equally well but horses are easier to burn..

Crasher
29-11-2016, 12:45 PM
I can see a flaw in your plan, firstly how do I heat the horse up to 1000 degrees without using fossil fuel to maintain my zero Co2 credibility and secondly, how the hell do I get the horse into my fuel tank? Sheep would be easier to get down the filler neck but the smell of burning wool would be unpleasant.

Sam
29-11-2016, 01:21 PM
There's something like 200m insects per human. Burning a few ants (ignited by using the power of the sun through glass) to power a lightweight car-like vehicle is the future.

You heard it here first.

Crasher
29-11-2016, 01:32 PM
That's insectocide, you can't go around persecuting ants... terrible.

zollaf
29-11-2016, 02:15 PM
wasps see, heres the real future. one tube of superglue, one big spool of fishing line cut into 1m sections. ties line to car and supeglue to wasp, wasps the fly and pull car along. probably only take a million wasps to power one small car.
incidentally i have set myself up as a wasp supplier. i sell them to you at 20 p each and you can sell them at a quid. its a win win situation #gulliblefool@waspsrus.con

Gazwould
29-11-2016, 02:46 PM
Wasps are wimps , you want hornets , much more compliant to training too .

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/attachments/20150808_161756-jpg.65510/

Col
29-11-2016, 03:36 PM
You are all wrong.

Hot horses will play havoc on the continent as they will eat them instead of using them for fuel.

Insects might be all right in Brazil but here in the cold North lattitudes they all die in October so nobody would get anywhere until the spring. And Ice Road Truckers would be cancelled.

All joking aside, whatever does happen will be the most improbable stupid thing imaginable and all of our ideas so far are more sensible.

Crasher
29-11-2016, 06:57 PM
Wasps... what is it with them? Who invented the sodding things? What use are they apart from driving you mad when trying to chill in the sun, awful things. :rocketwho I blew a wasps nest up in the back garden when I was about 14 with "chemicals" I had acquired. Half the back rockery blew out together with 75 million seriously ****** off flammin hot wasps which then took it in turns to sting me... They stalked me for days....:scared:

zollaf
29-11-2016, 09:32 PM
you just wait until we are all driving wasp powered cars. the same technology could also be applied to aeroplanes and helicopters, even boats.

Crasher
29-11-2016, 11:58 PM
Nothing new, first lunar landing had a chap called Buzz on board...

zollaf
30-11-2016, 10:26 AM
buzz lightyear ?

Col
30-11-2016, 01:34 PM
I think Gaz was close, wasps no, but hornets a possibility.

How about cars powered by F18 Hornet engine?

Prototype...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/colin__/w060306_1_zpsxn45ko6g.jpg

Just make sure you don't get too close behind one in a traffic jam and how you would reverse is still being worked on....

Crasher
30-11-2016, 01:59 PM
Buzz Aldrin - Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buzz_Aldrin)

Gazwould
30-11-2016, 03:34 PM
Did they really go there over 5 decades ago ?

Is Buzz a NASA bouncer ?

Crasher
30-11-2016, 05:33 PM
Did they really go there over 5 decades ago?

I can remember watching it on TV when I was 5...