PDA

View Full Version : Need 2nd key for a Passat

simonr
16-08-2006, 03:12 PM
Any other options for a folding remote key other than £150 from the ********?

cheers Simon

pande_monium
07-09-2006, 12:21 PM
1. Buy yourself an uncut key from Ebay making sure the 1st 3 digits on the part code match the one on your current key - eg 8Z0 837 231 D - This will cost you about £40.
2. Get it cut from any normal keycutters... probably charge you £5-10
3. Program your key using your own key and car. I'm not sure how this procedure works, but once your new key is cut you follow a sequence to program it. The guys selling the uncut keys on ebay also normally include a procedure with the sale... to program the key.

Just go to www.ebay.co.uk and search Audi + Key... you'll get loads of them.

If you get what you want, let us know on the forum, so others can read the outcome as well. And yes, if you succeed, leave a rep point for me ;-)

All the best.
Ankur Pande

sirfartalot
13-09-2006, 01:02 AM
You can but a remote off ebay for about £20, about another £5 for the blank and about another £5 for cutting so around £30 altogether. Make sure the model number of the remote matches yours.

You can code the remote to the alarm and central locking but NOT the immobiliser (although I believe this is possible if you have the SKC and access to VAG-COM).

The immobiliser chip will need doing at a VW main dealer as it has to connect to the VW factory. This costs about £25 (at my local dealer so I assume most main dealers will be similar) for both keys so altogether would be a cost of around a third of buying the key from the dealer.