PDA

View Full Version : Rev's Keep Plummeting & Engine Cuts Out..... Help!!!

cara_essex
21-10-2007, 05:41 PM
Hi all,
Hope someone can offer some words of wisdom! ASAP please!!!

Got a golf mrk3, 1.6cl 98 R-reg. Just been on a break to Devon where we done 700miles in 6 days, just coming into dartford tunnel on return journey and revs plummet on rev counter and engine cuts out.... luckily it started straight away again and was ok(ish) for rest of journey but is now cutting out every time I brake or come to a stand still (not great fun when trying to park/ or braking at roundabouts/ traffic lights etc!) basically it drives fine, but then when I try to slow down for a bend or whatever the revs plummet and engine stalls, but does start straight away again as long as I have foot on accelerator a bit to get the revs up. Its just not holding its revs up for whatever reason.

We had this problem back in may whilst on another break in norfolk and took it to a garage who changed the map sensor connector and its been fine since. Although hoping its not that again as was expensive to fix!!

A few mates who own golfs said it could be the throttle housing needing clening or the breathers??? Whatever they are, Im a woman, I dont know these things!! Have got a competent home mechanic who can try to fix the problem free of charge, as long as its something fairly simple, however would like to know if theres any obvious guesses at what the problem sounds like it could be? Haynes Manual troubleshooting guide suggests that it could be something to do with the fuel injection system?

Please please offer some advice or tips at what the problem may be as from what I can gather this is a fairly common problem with mrk3's.

thanks,
cara

russvr6
21-10-2007, 09:36 PM
h cara, im not that familier with the 1600 engine but i work in a ford garage and heard of this problem many of times, on a lot of the ford engines theres wots known as a IDLE SPEED COTROL VALVE it clogs up & effects the vehicle on idle/ low revs. if you know a mechanic it may be worth mentioning. dont know if this helps but good look.

copthis1
22-10-2007, 03:41 PM
I had the same problem and it was the fuel pump.

Got one from the scrap yard for a tenner and has worked since.

Ventoro
30-10-2007, 11:28 PM
Hi all,
Hope someone can offer some words of wisdom! ASAP please!!!

Got a golf mrk3, 1.6cl 98 R-reg. Just been on a break to Devon where we done 700miles in 6 days, just coming into dartford tunnel on return journey and revs plummet on rev counter and engine cuts out.... luckily it started straight away again and was ok(ish) for rest of journey but is now cutting out every time I brake or come to a stand still (not great fun when trying to park/ or braking at roundabouts/ traffic lights etc!) basically it drives fine, but then when I try to slow down for a bend or whatever the revs plummet and engine stalls, but does start straight away again as long as I have foot on accelerator a bit to get the revs up. Its just not holding its revs up for whatever reason.

We had this problem back in may whilst on another break in norfolk and took it to a garage who changed the map sensor connector and its been fine since. Although hoping its not that again as was expensive to fix!!

A few mates who own golfs said it could be the throttle housing needing clening or the breathers??? Whatever they are, Im a woman, I dont know these things!! Have got a competent home mechanic who can try to fix the problem free of charge, as long as its something fairly simple, however would like to know if theres any obvious guesses at what the problem sounds like it could be? Haynes Manual troubleshooting guide suggests that it could be something to do with the fuel injection system?

Please please offer some advice or tips at what the problem may be as from what I can gather this is a fairly common problem with mrk3's.

thanks,
cara
Well cara, i had a similar problem, it may well be the fuel filter.... does the problem happen regularly now???

If it was just the once it may have been dirty petrol..... I were driving on bumpy road and if the car being thrown around a little .... the particles of dirt at the bottom of your feul tank could have been disturbed causing the dirt to go through the filter, thus blocking it which means the fuel wouldnt have found its way to the engine causing it to cut out...

cara_essex
04-11-2007, 06:06 PM
Hi,

Thought Id post to let you all know that the problems all sorted, but also to help anyone else who may read this if theyre having the same problem!

After having the throttle body thoroughly cleaned, the problem was helped a bit as far as that the car no longer randomly cut out at junctions etc, however it was persistently difficult to start (especially first thing on a cold morning) and would only start when I put my foot on the accelerator and then the revs were still idling very low (about 400!) until the engine had warmed up to normal running temp.

Eventually I gave it in to a mechanic who done a diagnostic scan and it came up the THROTTLE POSITIONING SENSOR, however you cant just buy this sensor you have to buy the whole THROTTLE VALVE CONTROL UNIT at almost £200, ouch!

Anyway it was very quick to fit and the car is now starting and running better than ever, lets hope it stays that way!!

Cara x

Dollso
06-11-2007, 12:27 AM
I was having the same problem and I got hold of the VAG-COM software and cables and also the Elsawin software and got to work on it today. VAG-COM showed "00282 - throttle position actuator implausible signal - Intermittent" ran all the different tests on the car and they all passed, so then I unplugged the 6 pin connector from the throttle position sensor and tested the resistance across pins 1+6 (as described in Elsawin), I did this test to make sure that the fault was not within the cables; the results should have been between 3~200 ohms, I got an open circuit most of the time but once or twice got over 1000 M/ohms! so like you it was the throttle position sensor, I got quote from VW dealer for new part at £135, GSF do the same part for £70 New (and thats the whole unit including idle stop switch), but before I buy it I think I will cut the old part open and see if maybe it is just the metal contacts needing bent back in inside. If you haven't paid yet, don't as £200 is a lot just for the part.