PDA

View Full Version : DSG revs question

jimgironde
19-11-2016, 10:55 AM
I am driving a manual 150GT estate. The gearing feels very different from my previous PD engine.

Is anybody with a 150 DSG engine able to provide me with some statistics please as I would be interested in what VW consider to be appropriate gears for different situations. To make it simple can somebody give me two figures please.

First, going up a hill at 60mph, what revs are showing, not accelerating but just constant 60mph. Secondly, driving at a constant 30mph on the flat, what approximate revs are showing.

Many thanks.

BenR
20-11-2016, 12:47 PM
Doesn't the display on the dash have a number in the corner that recommends the best gear for the speed and conditions?

jimgironde
20-11-2016, 12:53 PM
Yes it does but in my opinion it is useless!

It is set with trying to achieve the claimed mpg figures and will have you driving along at 1500rpm. I did try it to begin with, but as soon as I changed up I had to change down because the engine was labouring. Hence the question.

Mal
13-12-2016, 01:40 PM
Try driving in sport mode.. I do if in traffic it gives more edge..

BenR
14-12-2016, 04:20 PM
I'll try to get those revs for you but the problem is that gear choice depends on the slope and whether you are in Sport, Drive or Economy. In Sport the "elastic" is weak and the box will drop down a couple of gears with the smallest throttle setting.

jimgironde
14-12-2016, 04:48 PM
Thanks Ben, you are a star. Sports mode will do:approve: