PDA

View Full Version : ESP Fault

jb8591
21-10-2007, 04:31 PM
My wifes 2004 1.4 S which is just 2 months out of warranty, has developed a fault on the ESP traction control. I took it to an independent garage to be diagnosed (basically because I didn't trust the Vw dealership) and they confirmed that it would need a replacement unit. The unit cost alone was just under a £1000 so the garage attemped to locate a second hand unit, unfortunately to no avail. They advised me to speak to VW UK as a part this expensive shouldn't be going faulty just out of warranty - I would add at this point that I only bought the car a year ago from the VW dealership with very low mileage - my wife has only managed to clock up less than 6000 miles in the last year! Anyway, complained to VW UK who said they would pay 25% towards the repair - they said they would have paid 50% but I had missed the annual service - I am challenging this because I was told that the car had long life service intervals by the garage when we bought it - my independent garage agrees that the vehicle does not need a service yet. My questions are - has anyone experience a similar problem or any helpful advice to try and sort this problem out. It seems ridiculous that a car bought from a dealership for £9000 now needs a repair which will cost about £1300!!

kaygolf
01-11-2007, 09:05 PM
Hi - I'm afraid I can't offer any help, but perhaps we could keep in touch to try and help each other out with the negotiations with VW as I have had an identical fault diagnosed today on my 2004 Golf SE 1.6 (the warranty expired on the 15 Oct!!!!). I have been quoted £1354 by a main dealer for a new ABS Unit and have phoned VW today to start negotiating. What I dont understand, and am hoping to find out from this forum, is why, if I need a new ABS unit my ABS warning light isn't on - only the ESP warning light (amber). The ESP is also switched off (switch near handbrake) - is yours the same? Did you have your sensors checked?
Good luck and fingers crossed

Ben
01-11-2007, 10:53 PM
both - would locating a unit out of a scrapped / written off car not work?

try this chap

Auto Volks Solihull
Unit 3
42a
Stratford Road
Shirley
SOLIHULL
B90 3LS

he is also on ebay as tinhead22

i've used him for wish bones and bushes for my mk5.

Oddly he is based 50yards from solihull vw main dealer.

others are available, try a search on yell.com for volks spares etc.

kaygolf
01-11-2007, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the address - will bear it in mind if negotiations with VW come to nothing - on the basis that the car is only 2 weeks out of warranty and has been in and out of the garage for the past 6 months with the ESP and ABS lights coming on, I'm hopeful that VW will sort it out.
Fingers crossed

jb8591
03-11-2007, 10:12 AM
Thanks for that - I'll give them a call to see if they get these units very often. I know that the independent garage I originally went to tried to locate a second hand unit but they weren't successful. The VW dealer who did the final diagnostic told me that I wouldn't be able to get a second hand unit - this was after I told them that I would not be paying over £1300 for a repair!!

denism
03-11-2007, 01:02 PM
Hi - My wife and I each bought a Mk4 1.9 tdi Golf new in 2003.

Last year the esp light in my wife's car came on - VW could find no fault in the system - just the light! Then it went off and then on etc - no real problem just annoying.

My car which now has about 77k miles on it is now playing up - (apart from replacing an injector (£720!!!)), the ESP light is now on permanently - this time the ESP system no longer works (but ABS ok).

Vw dealer tried replacing brake light bulbs etc - but then said I need a new ESP control module - They would order and fit it for about £735! No thanks.

I was fortunate enough to go onto ebay and locate a unit 1jo 907 655 a / 1j2 907 637 e from seller carbitsiuk07 - for £1.99! Still got to fit this.

Does anyone know where these units are located inside the car?? Is it does a question of replacement or are there any special electrical codings to reset??

By the way - GOLFMK5GTTDI - small world - I grew up in Radford near the Wallace - but havent been there for 25 years!

In summary - two things:

- can anyone tell me where the ESP module on a MK4 Golf tdi is located (and any special knowhow required to replace it)?

- If you need a new module - try leaving some searches on ebay such as vw ESP or the part number - you might strike lucky as I did!

kaygolf
05-11-2007, 08:58 AM
May or may not be relevant to any of you (and we've yet to check ours), but I've been looking on lots of other forums and there are quite a few cases of the VAGCOM diagnosing a new ABS unit when the problem has been rectified by sorting out poor battery connections/wiring problems. Might be worth a look!!
We've had our battery disconnected a few times in the past (radio draining it, so in the end we had it disconnected until the replacement was fitted), and the 'magic eye' on top of the battery isn't showing green. One of the terminals is also looking a bit corroded, so I think we'll need a new battery anyway. Would be preferable to a new ABS Unit!

jb8591
30-11-2007, 06:50 PM
Just an update on my situation - VW Uk would not budge on their offer of 25% towards repair but fortunately I managed to locate a 're-manufactured' unit from a company on Ebay. The unit has now been fitted (had to be recoded by the VW dealership at a cost of £176!) and is fully working - no warning lights and a 3 month warranty - our priority now distancing ourselves from all things VW (bit of a shame). The cost of the unit was £180 (incl postage), £176 for recoding and £130 for fitting - better than £1400! Just thought I'd let you know - thanks to those who offered advice. Ebay company is:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/autotekelectronics94 (http://stores.ebay.co.uk/autotekelectronics94)

:beerchug:
Cheeeers