PDA

View Full Version : 2017 S6 Avant - On Order

NewAudi
17-11-2016, 07:09 PM
As the lease on my current A6 BiTdi runs out in April 2017, its time to look at another car. Having a very good contact at my local Audi dealer, it was obvious for me to ask him for a quote (as well as from a few other manufacturers, NOT Bmw though!).

Anyway, as I am extremely pleased with my current car (see link below) it was natural to look at the BiTdi or the Competition (326 bhp) that is available here. I also looked at the SQ7 (love the tech!) as well as the S4 Avant, S6 and the RS6.

New A6 Avant BiTdi coming end of April (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/156419-New-A6-Avant-BiTdi-coming-end-of-April)

First to go was the S4. Simply to small and although a very nice, fast car, it's almost as expensive as the bigger A6. Plus side is that it has all the latest tech which the A6 only gets in 2018 (or 2019 for the Avant) when the new A6 is rolled out.

Next up was the SQ7. A fantastic machine with plenty of go but I found it to be simply too big for us (family of 3 + dog) plus I am not really into SUV's anyway. Wife has an XC60 T5 which is wonderful and fills that department.

RS6 went quick too. Loved the performance but no way I would be able to turn up at clients in that. Everyone here knows what it is.... a well, another time perhaps.

A6 BiTdi or the Competition - well, the latter feels just as quick as the normal BiTdi and one is pretty much restricted in the options one can have. For examply, I love the comfort seats that I have on the current one and these are not available. Only the SuperSport Seats, which to me, are very comfortable but do not beat the comforts seats by a long shot.

So decided that the same model as today, the BiTdi, would be the best. Add the options and a few other things like Exclusive Paint and Interior and I was more or less ready to go. Just had to wait for Audi to give the sales guy the paint codes. While waiting for that (took a week for Audi to tell him!) I played around with another idea, namely the S6..... its a devil in the normal clothes of an A6 S-Line ;) But could one justify the higher costs of an S6 compared to the BiTdi? I mean, insurance costs more, it drinks more fuel, service costs more and the lease rate is a bit higher than on the BiTdi.....but what the heck! One only live once!!

As I always liked the Sepang Blue I was all set on getting that. But as this colour is becoming quote common and now available as a standard colour on many Audi models, I thought I would look for something else which is not standard on any Audi models. Getting a blue was a given as I have had enough of black cars so went for San Marino Blue (pics found online below). I also wanted Blue stitching on the seats as I really fancy something different than just the black seats that I have today. Red stitching was considered but would no way suit a blue car plus the red stitching is actually not easy to see anyway.

So have today placed the order for a 2017 S6 Avant as spec below....est delivery April/May. Latest info dated yesterday from Audi says 3 months for normal A6, 4 months for A6 with BiTdi and/or S-Line pack and add another month for the exclusive paint etc.

Please note that as I nowadays live in Germany the spec and options here are VERY different than that of the UK. We have some options not even available in the UK (which I find very strange come to think of it) and it does make one wonder why.

Anyway, here's the new one, at least on paper as I have a very loooong wait ahead of me!

San Marino Blue – Exclusive Paint (Code: B51, its a BMW colour….don’t tell anyone!)

Airbags, rear
Air Suspension - S6 Specific
Alloys – 21” 5-Blade Design, Polished Black (not available in UK) with 265/30/ZR21 96Y XL tyres
Ambient Lighting
Assistance Pack (Pre Sense Plus, Adaptive Cruise, Side Assist, Active Lane Assist, Parking Plus, Multifunction Camera)
Audi Connect & Phone Box
Audi Matrix LED Headlights
Audi Smartphone Interface
Bang & Olufsen Sound System
Black Styling Pack, Exterior
Brake Calipers – Red
Camera Based Speed Limits
Comfort Key with Foot Operated Boot Opening & Alarm System
Comfort Seats – Audi Exclusive Black Leather with Sepang Blue Stitching
Digital Radio (DAB & DAB+)
External Side Mirrors – Heated/Folding/Auto Dimming with Memory function
Gear-shifter – Audi Exclusive Black Leather with Sepang Blue Stitching
Headliner – Black
Head-Up Display
Inlays – Carbon Atlas
Insulation Glass – all round (no privacy glass, this will be done by dealer before delivery)
Locking Wheel Nuts
Mats – Audi Exclusive Black with Sepang Blue Borders
MMI Touch
Panorama Sunroof
Parking Assistant with 360 Camera
Seat Heating, Front & Rear
Seat Ventilation, Front
Spare Wheel
Sport Exhaust System (4x Black Rear Pipes, controlled from MMI, not available in UK)
Sports Steering Wheel, heated
Steering Wheel – Audi Exclusive Black Leather with Sepang Blue Stitching
Tool kit & Jack
Tow Bar preparation (no tow bar but electrics & bigger radiator fitted - great for high speed ;))
Valcona Leather – Audi Exclusive Black Leather with Sepang Blue Stitching
Warranty – 1 year (total 3 as 2 years standard in Germany)

The San Marino looks like this:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5556/30945260561_88185406ba_b.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5631/31059405825_6ba9c459b0_b.jpg

https://c5.staticflickr.com/6/5600/31023646036_e4b2c44eb3_b.jpg

https://c6.staticflickr.com/6/5686/31059405605_cda5e4f177_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5457/30917101632_f9bf003c41_b.jpg

SMILEMAN
17-11-2016, 07:48 PM
That is going to be one hell of a car.....enjoy!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

NewAudi
17-11-2016, 08:23 PM
Thanks! I hope I will, as much as I have done (and are) with the current one :o

Akash
18-11-2016, 10:50 AM
Congrats!
As mentioned, that is one heck of a car

Maybe in future it's worth mentioning only what options you did NOT tick ;)

NewAudi
18-11-2016, 11:39 AM
Congrats!
As mentioned, that is one heck of a car

Maybe in future it's worth mentioning only what options you did NOT tick ;)

Hehe....;)

Thanks! To mention a few I did not tick the options of pre-heater (Stand Heizung) nor the Night Vision or the Quattro Diff as i would never take the car through corners like an 18 yrs old!

L3nnox
19-11-2016, 05:40 AM
Very nice!! If you are in Copenhagen let me know!!! [emoji1303]

NewAudi
19-11-2016, 08:29 AM
Very nice!! If you are in Copenhagen let me know!!! [emoji1303]

Sure will! Thanks. As it happens, I am quite often there as i am originally Swedish and come from Malmö :biglaugh:

Usually fly though but do drive from time to time (800km one way).

Alex jb
19-11-2016, 07:01 PM
Super jealous, that's a fantastic spec and paint colour!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NewAudi
19-11-2016, 09:03 PM
Super jealous, that's a fantastic spec and paint colour!

Thanks! I think i have made the right choice (albeit perhaps not the most sensible one as this would be the BiTdi out of the two :p ).

NewAudi
08-12-2016, 12:04 AM
Update from the dealer....eta March! Quicker than I thought!!

Not counting of course....

wildbore
08-12-2016, 08:37 AM
Update from the dealer....eta March! Quicker than I thought!!

Not counting of course....

Hopefully you will be able to register it before the new, brutal RFL scheme comes in. That will save you a few thousand, I would think.

johnsimcox
08-12-2016, 09:31 AM
NewAudi is in Germany so RFL changes not an issue

NewAudi
08-12-2016, 05:50 PM
Hopefully you will be able to register it before the new, brutal RFL scheme comes in. That will save you a few thousand, I would think.

NewAudi is in Germany so RFL changes not an issue

But out of interest, how much would it be?

Here in Germany the S6 cost €328/year in tax and to compare, the BiTdi actually more at €423!

johnsimcox
08-12-2016, 06:01 PM
But out of interest, how much would it be?

Here in Germany the S6 cost €328/year in tax and to compare, the BiTdi actually more at €423!
If you registered an S6 in the UK before 31st March 2017 you would pay £650 for the first year and £295 per annum after that (BiTDi numbers are £185 first year and £185 per annum after that). If you register the S6 after 31st March 2017, then you would £1200 in the first year and £140 per annum after that (BiTDi would be £500 in first year and £140 per annum after that)

istate75
09-12-2016, 10:05 AM
If you registered an S6 in the UK before 31st March 2017 you would pay £650 for the first year and £295 per annum after that (BiTDi numbers are £185 first year and £185 per annum after that). If you register the S6 after 31st March 2017, then you would £1200 in the first year and £140 per annum after that (BiTDi would be £500 in first year and £140 per annum after that)

That isn't quite right. As both the new cars would be over the £40k list price limit, the RFL will be £140 + £350 'premium tax' so £490 per year for each car.

The new rules for RFL from 1st April 2017 next year are:

All cars under £40k list are £140 p.a. unless zero emission
All cars over £40k list are £490 unless zero emission
Zero emission cars are £0 if under £40k or £350 if over £40k (i.e. Tesla)

johnsimcox
09-12-2016, 11:22 AM
That isn't quite right. As both the new cars would be over the £40k list price limit, the RFL will be £140 + £350 'premium tax' so £490 per year for each car.

The new rules for RFL from 1st April 2017 next year are:

All cars under £40k list are £140 p.a. unless zero emission
All cars over £40k list are £490 unless zero emission
Zero emission cars are £0 if under £40k or £350 if over £40k (i.e. Tesla)
Apologies forgot about the £350 premium for cars over £40k

EssexGonzo
20-12-2016, 06:18 PM
That colour looks stunning. I went for Sepang Blue which doesn't look quite as deep as that. But then it's rarely clean.

Good man, ditching the evil black pump for a proper V8! I did it over a year ago (RS6) and asked myself the same questions as you around fuel and service costs. But would you believe it, they were forgotten within a few days. I never owned a BiTdi so couldn't really compare on a day to day basis but every time I tickle the throttle and get that lovely woofle I know I made the right decision. Yes, fuel economy is terrible but I'm sure it wouldn't be great in the congested South East of England even in BiTDI? And no DPF to worry about!

And yes, just occasionally, it can be hilarious. Some drivers see it as just another 2.0 Tdi estate with big alloys. Right up until the lights go green. They're mainly BMW M3/M4 drivers who have something to prove.

Our second car is now fully electric, so it feels like we've balanced out the extravagance of the V8. ;)

NewAudi
20-12-2016, 08:46 PM
That colour looks stunning. I went for Sepang Blue which doesn't look quite as deep as that. But then it's rarely clean.

Good man, ditching the evil black pump for a proper V8! I did it over a year ago (RS6) and asked myself the same questions as you around fuel and service costs. But would you believe it, they were forgotten within a few days. I never owned a BiTdi so couldn't really compare on a day to day basis but every time I tickle the throttle and get that lovely woofle I know I made the right decision. Yes, fuel economy is terrible but I'm sure it wouldn't be great in the congested South East of England even in BiTDI? And no DPF to worry about!

And yes, just occasionally, it can be hilarious. Some drivers see it as just another 2.0 Tdi estate with big alloys. Right up until the lights go green. They're mainly BMW M3/M4 drivers who have something to prove.

Our second car is now fully electric, so it feels like we've balanced out the extravagance of the V8. ;)

Thanks! I am really looking forward changing from all that black to something different for once. Last time I had something different than black was back in 2003 (if we dont count my 30 yrs old car and my Mustang)! The BiTdi is a gem to be honest. Plenty of power and that all important torque.

I were also looking at an RS6 (even drove one) but everyone here knows what it is and would give a bad taste (jelousy) in my customers mouth. Wouldn't matter if you pay for it yourself.....so in the end settled for the S6 which is a bit more subtle.

Hehe.....we have ditched diesel in my household like theres no end tomorrow. In March wife's V40 D4 went for a petrol XC60 T5 and daughters car is a Golf 6 1.4 Tsi.

Re fuel economy, i simply dont care anymore. One only live once and why the hell not!? Just enjoy life as much as possible....thats the reason why I got a Mustang GT last year and one would rearely see better than 19-21mpg in that...�� But its all good fun! As a note, the S6 is supposedly quicker and grip will certainly be a lot better thanks to the Quattro system.

Alex jb
20-12-2016, 09:07 PM
I'm sure you will enjoy it!

I ran a couple of tanks of gas through my 5.4L V8 F150 where I gunned it at every possible opportunity, just to see how low I could get the mpg... the best (worst) was 7!

NewAudi
20-12-2016, 09:58 PM
I'm sure you will enjoy it!

I ran a couple of tanks of gas through my 5.4L V8 F150 where I gunned it at every possible opportunity, just to see how low I could get the mpg... the best (worst) was 7!

brilliant! ��

NewAudi
20-01-2017, 05:49 PM
Had a nice email from my dealer today. My new car has been scheduled for production week 9 (ie first week of March) so should get it a couple of weeks later. Knowing my luck, it will probably turn up while I am away in March! :biglaugh:

NewAudi
15-02-2017, 09:26 PM
While sorting out the paperwork for my daughters new A3 (that she colllects on Monday) we discovered that my new S6 has been pushed forward a week...:aargh4: my guess is either the exterior color or the blue stitching!

NewAudi
01-03-2017, 03:29 PM
Ok.....just had a call from my dealer. My new S6 is made and are standing in Neuss (central warehouse for Germany) waiting for onward transportation to my dealer.

Great news and all, but I will have to wait for delivery another 3 weeks as first I am away for a couple of weeks in the ME and Africa and then my dealer has holiday..... :aargh4::biglaugh:

NewAudi
02-03-2017, 04:14 PM
Great news!!!

My dealer called me early this morning. My car has arrived.....obviously went to have a look.

Wow, looks better in the flesh than what I expected (not having seen the color live before on an A6 let alone an S6 or even RS6!). Same goes for the wheels (21", German factory option).

Some pics...
https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3928/32825154010_c890e1891b_h.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3812/33165973786_ea696dabc0_h.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/599/33165975296_36f6ec384e_h.jpg

On this pic one can see the optional Sport Exhaust system that is available here from factory. The standard system has silver end pipes btw.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/584/32825155170_8b79ce097a_h.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3848/33165977406_a5befc4c18_h.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3877/33165982216_93eb7c5d35_h.jpg

Also the inside looks great....here we have the comfort seats (had them before, love them!) in Black Valcona Leather, seat ventilation and Exclusive option of Sepang Blue stitching. The trim is Carbon. The blue stitching also goes for the gearshifter, doors, kneepads and steering wheel. Basically all stitching are Blue. The mats (not in pics) are Black with Sepang Blue borders.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/646/33165971126_3fd8d47c7b_h.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/613/33207711925_b91d264c80_h.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2861/33165980016_d7adcfee1b_h.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/637/32825153230_979fc1c8ed_h.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/609/33207704645_9bc0768bba_h.jpg

Once I have taken delivery in 3 weeks time, I'll post some "proper" pictures.

bigease
02-03-2017, 04:44 PM
That is stunning!

johnsimcox
02-03-2017, 04:49 PM
Looks absolutely stunning. Longest 3 weeks of your life coming up. Those wheels look like a kerbing incident waiting to happen

NewAudi
02-03-2017, 05:41 PM
That is stunning!

Looks absolutely stunning. Longest 3 weeks of your life coming up. Those wheels look like a kerbing incident waiting to happen

Thanks!

Hehe...the 3 weeks will probably fly by!

Re kerbing, well, I must be lucky as I havent kerbed a wheel in many years but these do look like they "invite" you to do it. Saying that, the Continentals (thanks Audi for not fitting the crappy Pirellis!) have a small lip.

Oh, difficult to see in the pic perhaps but one wheel is in fact kurbed. Made by the person offloading the car this morning. Dealer has ordered a new wheel and tire so I will never know the difference plus the car aint mine yet! They assured me it wont be repaired as the car is new and sold as such.....great dealer!

Waddie
02-03-2017, 05:42 PM
F*****g awesome.

Not too sure about the white bonnet and roof though 😉;)

NewAudi
02-03-2017, 06:29 PM
F*****g awesome.

Not too sure about the white bonnet and roof though ;)

Thanks!

The white compliments the blue quite nicely :biglaugh:

Cant wait to see it ready with the black exterior against all that blue (with a hint of purple)!

ukgroucho
02-03-2017, 07:40 PM
Beautiful - although those tyres look like they'd make for a challenging ride on many UK roads. I see it has air suspension - be interesting to see some comparison photos of it on high and low settings.

NewAudi
02-03-2017, 08:41 PM
Beautiful - although those tyres look like they'd make for a challenging ride on many UK roads. I see it has air suspension - be interesting to see some comparison photos of it on high and low settings.

Thanks!

I think you will find that the "delivery" setting is as high as the highest setting on the air suspension (standard here on the S6, and specific too for this model) goes. My previous BiTdi went as high as this and that had air suspension too.

The tyres are "35's" so yes, nice and hard. As I drive back to the UK every month It wont be long before I know how noisy/hard they are but knowing from previous car, its not that bad. Sure, its noisier than our motorways in Europe but not that but. On this one I went for the full fledge insulation glass all round (rear will have 80% tint done before delivery) so that will probably help to keep the noise down.

Tripletrouble
03-03-2017, 09:41 AM
I cannot believe no one has noticed one glaring error with that car?

The steering wheel is on the wrong side ;-)

wildbore
03-03-2017, 10:59 AM
The Continentals have foam inserts inside the tyres. That, and the double glazing (standard in Britain on the front windows), make for a really quiet ride.

I am on 30 profile tyres on air suspension and the ride is superb - much better than it has any right to be, and the roads around me are pretty dire, so I doubt you will find the 35s an issue on decent European roads.

NewAudi
03-03-2017, 12:13 PM
The Continentals have foam inserts inside the tyres. That, and the double glazing (standard in Britain on the front windows), make for a really quiet ride.

I am on 30 profile tyres on air suspension and the ride is superb - much better than it has any right to be, and the roads around me are pretty dire, so I doubt you will find the 35s an issue on decent European roads.

Didnt know they did, thanks. I am sure they will be fine. The front double glazing is an extra here and I had it on the BiTdi. Wife's XC60 has it all round and what a difference....hence this time I went for the all round option. Pity Audi doesnt offer the A6 with the tint as well when going for the all round double glazing.

The ride doesnt concern me at all as the air suspension will iron it out. However, running the 21" onto the EuroTunnel does concern me a little....

M1tchy
03-03-2017, 02:30 PM
Stunning. Have you got air suspension? Looks like it's sitting really high at the moment that's all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

johnsimcox
03-03-2017, 03:13 PM
Stunning. Have you got air suspension? Looks like it's sitting really high at the moment that's all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ProProbably still on the transit blocks

NewAudi
03-03-2017, 03:32 PM

Probably still on the transit blocks

Thanks!

Yes it has air suspension (standard) and yes the transit blocks looks great....:p

M1tchy
03-03-2017, 05:42 PM
[emoji1303] stunning

NewAudi
22-03-2017, 09:43 PM
Finally, on Friday I collect the new toy ;)

been to see it again today and the amount of comments one get on the color choice is overwhelming.....but really nice!

One thing which is not good is the company my dealer used to tint the windows.....terrible job with bubbles visible on all windows. Will be rectified next week one day as i really want the car now! My dealer is NOT happy about this.

L3nnox
23-03-2017, 09:37 PM
Nice one!!!!

NewAudi
24-03-2017, 10:30 PM
Car collected......window tint sorted.

A full report with lots of pics will come, but in the meantime all I can say is WOW!!!!

So similar yet so very different than my old BiTdi!

ukgroucho
24-03-2017, 11:59 PM
Ohh Ohh Ohh can't wait for the full report :aargh4:

ponner
25-03-2017, 09:52 AM
What a car. Best of luck with it!

NewAudi
25-03-2017, 11:41 AM
Would have posted some pics already but have just this morning discovered a water leak that needs attendance! :zx11:

NewAudi
25-03-2017, 10:13 PM
Having sorted the leaking pipe by removing the outside bricks to gain access, I can now (finally) write my “little” report! Pics at the end!

Here’s a short report on my new 2017 S6 Avant that I finally collected yesterday, Friday 24/03/2017 after waiting some 4.5 months or so for delivery (could have been done earlier but was away for work in the ME and Africa).

Lets start with the main thing, the engine – what a machine! It sounds fantastic. Smooth and really ultra quiet. I keep getting caught out wondering if the engine is actually running. Well done Audi.

Gearbox – so far so good. My first S-Tronic ‘box but no complaints. Its ultra quick in changing gears, much quicker than the 8-speed tiptronic fitted in the BiTdi.

Suspension – both cars on air suspension. The S6 has a “S6 Specific” setup and is just that little bit harder, it also handles better. Its exactly what I always missed in the BiTdi.

Exhaust – I have the optional sport exhaust from factory (not available in the UK). Makes the rear pipes black instead of usual chrome. Can be controlled by the MMI under Individual. Sounds fantastic. Also makes the car do a power start (can be switched off).

Driving – compared to my previous BiTdi it’s a very different car to drive, yet so similar. The gas pedal is much more sensitive or perhaps all down to the fact that I have much more power in this one compared to the diesel?! Its more agile, handles much better, more fun etc. The list goes on.

Double Glazing all round – only had the front windows on the BiTdi and thought that was good. Well, this is something else. Similar to wife’s Volvo. Ultra quiet inside. Can hear nothing! Lovely.

Wheels – went for the optional 21” this time (also not available in the UK). Ride doesn’t worry me for one bit as I have air suspension. Ride is smooth and the tires were thankfully Conti’s instead of the crappy Pirelli’s!

Color – I went for the San Marino Blue (Exclusive Color). A Bmw color (don’t tell anyone!). Fantastic IMO and is a dark blue with a shade of purple. Changes with the light. Very happy with that choice. Suits the wheels and black windows wonderfully.

Lets go inside……

Here we have the same seats as in the previous one ie the Comfort Seats but with Audi Exclusive for the stitching, in fact all stitching in the car are from the Exclusive line and in Sepang Blue color.

Also opted for the Carbon trim as I was fed up with silver trim which I had in the previous one. Apart that the cars are pretty much the same inside but still so different. For example, the S6 comes with aluminium caps on the pedals, small “S6” deco on the steering wheel, a red ring around the start button, S6 step in protectors, rubber mats saying S6, S6 specific gear shifter, speedo and rev counter are a light grey shade compared to black and a few other things. Oh, love the speedo sweep!

The main change inside is probably the updates that Audi did a year or so ago (no idea when they came, 2015 I think).

For me, one of the biggest changes are in the MMI. Navigation is soooooo much quicker than before and thanks to the SIM card inserted I can now do online updates etc. Lots of things to play with!

Love the fact that the navigation also shows up in the middle of the speedo and rev counter!

Some options have also been moved around but are still in there. Personally I find the Google Earth maps crap. Need to try it out a bit more. Looking forward seeing/using the live traffic updates.

The change from simply connecting my old iPod to now no longer using it but the phone instead via the i-thing in the car takes some getting used to. I particular liked the comment made by Siri when he asked what I wanted to do and was told to F-off by me, the reply was a polite “there’s no need for that comment” and let me be…..

Another BIG improvement is the sound the B&O speakers make. Wow. Simply First Class. Nothing bad about the Bose I had, but this is much better. Just not worth the amount of money Audi want. Way overpriced but if you are, like me, a sound nut, go for it. You will NOT regret it!

Well, that’s all for now.

Happy to do pics and answering any comments/questions if possible.

/Patrik

Now, FINALLY, the pictures of the beast!!

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2828/33605846776_2806a76d7d_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2835/33605846166_34c7026753_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3789/32803781514_13f0e44ecf_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3695/33605844756_c26ba1bc19_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3941/33646383505_4d1a7e812e_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2833/33646386115_d2cc296dc1_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2937/33646387005_e1a94478a3_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2817/33646387825_52682e458d_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2889/33489954262_717345114e_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2848/33646384345_b4ec2c45fe_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2911/33646385185_83e2efc072_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3834/33646389875_d15b08ff5d_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2914/33646390445_0e4034c547_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3955/33646391155_28b86773f7_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3955/33646391155_28b86773f7_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2822/33489958142_b3170a0bd5_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2832/33489959102_4337d397cf_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3835/33646396185_96bdae39e2_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3953/33489957472_cf58deefa9_b.jpg

ukgroucho
25-03-2017, 10:20 PM
Patrik - it's beautiful... and I'm not talking to you any more 'cos I'm going to go and sulk somewhere.

SMILEMAN
25-03-2017, 10:30 PM
Amazing.....enjoy!!

RhysoTDI
26-03-2017, 08:36 AM
I've politely 'liked' your post but secretly I hate you :D

Colour is stunning!!

NewAudi
26-03-2017, 09:12 AM
I've politely 'liked' your post but secretly I hate you :D

Colour is stunning!!

Thanks!

It does turn a few heads.....never expected that in an A6 :-)

NewAudi
30-03-2017, 08:53 PM
Thought I do some update since I took delivery last Friday....

First off, still a big WOW! The car is soooo different than my old BiTdi (which was GREAT btw!). The all-round insulation glass makes a huge difference in the noise level inside of the car. Totally quiet, even at very high speed.

The color do tend to get some attention having had people taking down their windows at traffic light, taking pics while driving, coming up and simply making a comment. Well happy with the choice of color so far. In fact, its a real head turner!

Engine....well, a big thumping V8, 450PS, turbo, yes....its very quick. Noticable quicker than the old one. Can't even compare them but I can say that its actually more refined and very silent at idle.

Love the way the phone/internet works with the Apple Car Play. Took some time getting used to though in my case. I especially like driving around Germany while listening to Capital Radio! The B&O sound system is superb but needs a little tweaking before sounding its best. At least in my ears.

The big question I have had in some PM's so far, the fuel consumption. While its very early says so far, its actually very good on fuel when driving sensible. The engine does also benefit from being able to shut down 4 cylinders while cruising at anything between 20-100 mph! The avg at the moment seems to hover around the 26-27mpg but give it some go and this easily goes down to 23-24mpg. But good news is that as the miles pile on, the mpg increases.

It will be interesting to see what kind of mpg it will show on Sunday when I head to the UK again. In Belgium and Holland I tend to take it easy (have had far to many fines there already!). While in the UK I will also meet one member on here.... :p

Anyway, some pics (in the lovely summer weather we have here - 24C today!).
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2920/32900048474_2584e89dbf_b.jpg

Now, this is an interesting one....my avg since leaving home is a mere 22mpg but had only done a very short journey of about 2 miles when I took the pic. However, what is kinda cool is the fact that I am driving at just over 80mph, cruise on, 4-cylinder mode on and it shows an mpg of 31-32mpg! I think it proves the point that todays modern petrol engines are really very very efficient. I am sure this will improve a lot over time (at the time of pic only have about 143 mls on the clock!
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2833/33702298776_2d5ebb3ffd_b.jpg

wildbore
30-03-2017, 09:59 PM
Amazed at the mpg you are getting. After 25K miles in my RS6 I have a long term average of 22mpg - and 95% of my total mileage is motorways at 80 with ACC on. I would have expected the two engines to be very close on light-throttle fuel consumption but your figures are much better. As you say. 4-cylinder mode seems to make a huge difference when it's engaged, but I find it cuts out only moments after engaging usually, and so it ultimately makes little difference. Best I ever got was 30mpg on a long run in summer once. Typically, on a long motorway run, I get 25-26, but the short journeys and the hooning pull that figure down in the long-term figures. A spirited run out will return 10-12 mpg average.
In your pic, I am surprised the car is in 7th, as you have ACC engaged. I would have expected D8. Mine gets into D8 and stays there permanently uphill and down on the motorway.

NewAudi
30-03-2017, 10:10 PM
Amazed at the mpg you are getting. After 25K miles in my RS6 I have a long term average of 22mpg - and 95% of my total mileage is motorways at 80 with ACC on. I would have expected the two engines to be very close on light-throttle fuel consumption but your figures are much better. As you say. 4-cylinder mode seems to make a huge difference when it's engaged, but I find it cuts out only moments after engaging usually, and so it ultimately makes little difference. Best I ever got was 30mpg on a long run in summer once. Typically, on a long motorway run, I get 25-26, but the short journeys and the hooning pull that figure down in the long-term figures. A spirited run out will return 10-12 mpg average.
In your pic, I am surprised the car is in 7th, as you have ACC engaged. I would have expected D8. Mine gets into D8 and stays there permanently uphill and down on the motorway.

The 4-cyl mode comes in even after a minute from cold on mine. All the time basically. Not complaining of course.....seems to make a huge difference and so far, so good. We will see what it returns once on a longer journey (I do the UK trip once a month).

The S6 only has a 7-speed S-Tronic hence you wont see an 8th gear ��

evans1089
30-03-2017, 10:17 PM
Wow. I'm looking for an S6 (might buy new) and sell up my bitdi! Your right the bitdi will take some beating!

NewAudi
30-03-2017, 10:19 PM
Wow. I'm looking for an S6 (might buy new) and sell up my bitdi! Your right the bitdi will take some beating!

You wont regret it! As sensible as the BiTdi is...the S6 is a different league! Plus, you only live once!

wildbore
30-03-2017, 10:34 PM
The 4-cyl mode comes in even after a minute from cold on mine. All the time basically. Not complaining of course.....seems to make a huge difference and so far, so good. We will see what it returns once on a longer journey (I do the UK trip once a month).

The S6 only has a 7-speed S-Tronic hence you wont see an 8th gear ��

Doh! I forgot about the S-tronic - that might be where the better fuel economy comes from.

NewAudi
30-03-2017, 10:47 PM
Doh! I forgot about the S-tronic - that might be where the better fuel economy comes from.

Possibly. The BiTdi I had was fantastic on fuel and had the 8-speeder....

NewAudi
02-04-2017, 02:42 PM
A small update....

So yesterday I made my journey across to the UK (400 mls to be exact). As per usual Audi, it behaved totally faultless.

Some interesting observations (things that either I couldn't do or just didn't have the option for compared to the old 2014 I had):

1. The lights for the UK are adjusted automatically, although I can still "tick" the option in the MMI menu. Probably works from the Live Update thing on the Navigation.
2. Live updates on the Navigation works perfect. Much better than in the old car that didn't have this option.
3. Love the Car Play. But after about an hours drive, it simply stopped working and refused to come back on. About 2 hours later, while in the UK, it magically started to work again and has done so ever since.
4. Have received a lot of attention while on the train and here in Colchester from people commenting on the color. One is a regular RS7 owner (might be on here, forgot to ask) who had parked just next to mine at Tesco's today.... :o
5. Fuel consumption is impressive! Using the OBC my trip over here was at an avg of 29mpg! Not bad! But I must add that this was done going no faster than 90mph in Germany and sticking to the limits in Holland, Belgium, France and UK. Probably it will decrease as on my way back the car will have been run-in very nicely. In fact I can already notice a nice difference in performance.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2810/33662632741_a7b22802e3_b.jpg

NewAudi
07-04-2017, 08:42 AM
Another little update....

The car continues to impress and best of all, its actually really great on fuel!

Aside the attention one gets thanks to the color, its also incredible quick if you want to. Now driven in, I can use the performance a bit and it sounds like an airplane when pushed... :biglaugh:

I have also noticed that by using ACC I can get great economy (is that the right word for an S6?) while cruising and taking it easy. For example, look at the pic below, sticking to the limit in the UK with the occasional "burst" it still returned a very respectable 33mpg (8.6l/100km)!! This is probably thanks to the engine using the 4-cylinder mode a lot, especially when cruiing but even in town doing 30.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3956/33045079744_d8fd59c91a_b.jpg

Being washed and enjoying sunny Essex! :p
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2815/33045080804_7f0c00f5ab_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2840/33045081764_a4d53ff32b_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3947/33045082764_49881f3a2f_b.jpg

wildbore
07-04-2017, 09:52 AM
Interesting about the economy. I drove Guildford to Crewe and back yesterday. Motorway or dual carriageway all the way, ACC all the way, set to 80 or 85, depending on which road I was on. I got 26.2mpg over the 450 miles. 4-cylinder mode would cut in regularly but never for more than a few seconds or maybe a minute or two at best; the vast majority of the time it was running on all 8 cylinders. this behaviour is in line with other RS6 owners I have discussed this with.

Either the S-tronic box in the S6 is more suited to 4-cylinder mode or the controlling software has been improved since my car was made (early FL).

Akash
07-04-2017, 02:40 PM
Nice to see another Surrey Audi'er on here (Guildford too!)

why why why give such a nice car to the local car washer :(

But aside from all that, given that I'm averaging 24mpg in a 3.0 diesel, your one is excellent and it's not even run in!

wildbore
07-04-2017, 04:03 PM

Godalming, to be precise.

Agreed! Never have the local wash outfit touch my car. I would rather have it left dirty.

But aside from all that, given that I'm averaging 24mpg in a 3.0 diesel, your one is excellent and it's not even run in!

???!!!How on earth do you manage that? You must know some great twisty roads round here that I don't. Or you spend a lot of time crawling your way through the Guildford rush hour!

ukgroucho
07-04-2017, 05:28 PM
Agreed! Never have the local wash outfit touch my car. I would rather have it left dirty.

Absolutely... I looked at a friends 2 week old Tesla last weekend... loads of swirly lines in the paint courtesy of the "Polish car wash" and I mean the nationality, not trying to make it shiny.
They must just take a bucket full of gritty water from the previous car and apply liberally.

??!!!How on earth do you manage that? You must know some great twisty roads round here that I don't. Or you spend a lot of time crawling your way through the Guildford rush hour!
Indeed... good grief, what size feet do you have Akash?

NewAudi
07-04-2017, 06:41 PM
Interesting about the economy. I drove Guildford to Crewe and back yesterday. Motorway or dual carriageway all the way, ACC all the way, set to 80 or 85, depending on which road I was on. I got 26.2mpg over the 450 miles. 4-cylinder mode would cut in regularly but never for more than a few seconds or maybe a minute or two at best; the vast majority of the time it was running on all 8 cylinders. this behaviour is in line with other RS6 owners I have discussed this with.

Either the S-tronic box in the S6 is more suited to 4-cylinder mode or the controlling software has been improved since my car was made (early FL).

I would thing its actually down to software. The 4-cylinder mode kicks in all the time on mine. Obviously helps economy. In fact it kicks in even after driving only a couple of hundred metres on the street where I live, from cold! Seems to work.

Thanks! Not sure how can manage only 24mpg in a diesel?! My avg was 37 in my BiTdi.....lots of high speed runs and pretty much 90% was motorways.

My "local" Essex car wash is superb! Been using them for years and even have a reputation around here for doing it differently than the rest.....

Saying that, back in Germany I always do it in a brand new Shell or Aral (BP) car wash. Have no time to do it by hand very often and to top it of, all my cars are given paint protection from a pro once a year although the Audi is yet to be done (will be done in next two weeks).

Akash
08-04-2017, 08:05 PM
I think I just don't do enough long distance to bring the average up :) A lot of it recently is 3 miles to work, 3 miles back

NewAudi
08-04-2017, 09:16 PM
I think I just don't do enough long distance to bring the average up :) A lot of it recently is 3 miles to work, 3 miles back

Hehe...yes, that would kill the avg :p

Drove back to Cologne today and apart being forced to not only go through Brussels (due to ring being closed, accident) I also had to detour via Liege (again, accident)! Avg again, on motorway at 125km/h, was showing as 8.6 but once I entered Germany....well, free speed and all that (Aachen-Cologne)...I killed that avg in no time ;) in fact, it used two pins on the fuel meter!! But that sound it makes from the sport exhaust does remind me a little bit of an airplane! Its addictive.....

NewAudi
22-04-2017, 05:27 PM
Some more pictures…..AND a short clip!

First one, stuck in Brussels while heading back to Cologne from the UK (ring closed).
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2918/33388328233_305414681c_b.jpg

Had the car paint protected (like all cars I’ve ever owned – renewed once a year) and was going to add vinyl on the front bumber and bonnet but the guy run our of vinyl so it will be done at a later stage. Pics by my detailer.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2882/34198906095_b08ca9c041_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2945/33388328523_d14a8e2d1b_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2894/34068139731_6f4c355850_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2920/33388328483_119a041b2c_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2901/33388328663_f0c0a9aa40_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2807/33388328823_3863cdf001_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2820/33388328873_b826646f4e_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2849/33388328973_42651ab755_b.jpg

Here’s a short vid I made which shows off the San Marino Blue quite nicely in the sunlight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4RvDFu6maU&feature=youtu.be

Bonus - showing my record mpg while in the UK (sticking to the speed limits) - 8.6l = 33mpg, pls note the pathetic mileage so far when pic taken!
https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3956/33045079744_d8fd59c91a_b.jpg

Kind of amazing that a 450bhp car can manage that kind of mpg. My 2015 Mustang GT which not only weight 400 kgs less and has no Quattro (my toy!) only manages 13.5-14l (20-21mpg) on any regular drive although my best so far with that one was 10.9l = 26mpg!

NewAudi
11-05-2017, 09:27 PM
Just a small update....now done over 3000 miles in the new S6 (been twice to the UK already) and the car is simply getting better and better as the mls are piling on. Avg mpg since new around the 26mpg mark. Absolutely acceptable and will improve as more mls are added. Have a trip to Sweden coming up in June which I am looking forward to, although that one is bound to kill the mpg as most of the trip are on unrestricted autobahn (A61). Probably will have to fill up 2-3 times (the BiTdi could make the whole journey one one tank if driven nicely).

The wheels does NOT like the EuroTunnel.......

the comment on the color is amazing. Have people walking up just to say something. Reckon I have made the right choice, although a friend reckons the black was nicer!

NewAudi
01-06-2017, 06:55 PM
Drove to Sweden in the beautiful weather although had to go to Hamburg too, so business with pleasure ;)

500 mls all in and only had to fill up once!! Seriously though, only used a tank and a bit for the while trip.

Some pics...

Having got Germany behind me, here's how a typical Danish motorway looks like...empty! Actually, they do look the same in Sweden too and just as empty!
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4273/35035833065_48558cb021_b.jpg

The famous Öresundbridge connecting Copenhagen and Malmö by road. The latter being my final destination.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4195/34191951664_5f777a5fc7_b.jpg

Oh yes....(an actual border control was made in Denmark while deboarding the boat and on the Swedish side of the bridge).
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4199/34648250220_bfe5d253a9_b.jpg

And the "must take" shot when there... :o
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4228/34191948244_53553c558f_b.jpg

L3nnox
01-06-2017, 07:42 PM
I was in Copenhagen all week!!! Just left this afternoon, where was the fast bro drive down the beach?!? Disappointed!!!

NewAudi
01-06-2017, 08:19 PM
I was in Copenhagen all week!!! Just left this afternoon, where was the fast bro drive down the beach?!? Disappointed!!!

In fairness I usually fly and rent a car. Kinda weird to have my own car parked outside while here.

L3nnox
01-06-2017, 08:23 PM
In fairness I usually fly and rent a car. Kinda weird to have my own car parked outside while here.

And what a car, I currently considering a new S4 avant or S5 fastback on a lease to replace the GTD.

Shout when you are in CPH again! D

NewAudi
01-06-2017, 08:48 PM
And what a car, I currently considering a new S4 avant or S5 fastback on a lease to replace the GTD.

Shout when you are in CPH again! D

Sure will!

S4 or S5....go for it!

NewAudi
01-06-2017, 10:05 PM
Oh, forgot to add that I had the complete opposite of a car trying to outrun the S6, a Bmw i8! By the time he hit 155mph, Audi (as per normal) have a higher limiter set so it was bye bye :biglaugh: For anyone who cares, my limiter kicked in at 270 km/h (168mph) with both side mirrors whisteling at me....something my BiTdi never did, at the same speed!

NewAudi
02-06-2017, 07:31 PM
Since getting the S6, I have received lots of comments on it but especially the color.

Today, here in Sweden, I had 3 young boys (I passed them, window open) and the comments was like "wow, what a color, look at the 4 pipes etc". Of course I had to "demonstrate" the sound they make ;)

Also today, on the motorway, was just cruising along and got passed very slowly by a beat-up old Mitshu with 2 guys. Thumbs up and pointing at my car! Thanks guys!

NewAudi
02-08-2017, 09:16 PM
Figured I had to post this in my own thread as well. Latest "mod".....

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4429/36294283716_dd97faeba8_b.jpg

M1tchy
02-08-2017, 09:25 PM
They are much sharper than mine. Where did you get them?

NewAudi
02-08-2017, 09:35 PM
They are much sharper than mine. Where did you get them?

They are Audi originals as I prefer the "real" thing to match colour and intensity of the light with interior LED's.

I still have a 2nd set of the same which I would be happy to sell as they don't fit the rear when one has the B&O speakers.....they fit if you have standard and BOSE speakers. But there are two different versions of these lights. I know this since my dealer got the wrong ones in at first. One has a big socket (for standard halogen bulb) and one with a smaller socket if you have the LED fitted in the doors. Very easy to check, small flat screwdriver. Carefully pry out the light on one end. The whole light pops out very easy.

M1tchy
02-08-2017, 09:56 PM
Ah right that explains it. Mine were just cheap ones off eBay. I’d love the real ones but with a 3 week old, cash is quite tight. [emoji22]

NewAudi
02-08-2017, 10:03 PM
Ah right that explains it. Mine were just cheap ones off eBay. I’d love the real ones but with a 3 week old, cash is quite tight. [emoji22]

No worries, let me know if you change your mind, I am sure we could come to an agreement (btw they were €90 for the pair).

NewAudi
07-09-2017, 08:18 PM
Just drove back from Essex to Cologne yesterday (Wednesday) and here's an idea of the mileage one can get on the 2017 S6. Not that bad actually at 32mpg and with 21" wheels (which I have now nicely managed to damage on the train!)!

Btw, achived that by not going faster than about 80mph in the UK and around 125-130km/h in Europe. Once I crossed the border between Holland and Germany (ie free speed section Aachen-Cologne), this dropped to 27mpg with speeds upto 165mph.... :p

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4434/37089038145_210dba14c4_b.jpg

A6S
07-09-2017, 09:27 PM
32mpg I could live with.

quattrodaddy
07-09-2017, 10:29 PM
I get just over 40mpg in my BiTDI Avant, not much between them.

A6S
07-09-2017, 10:34 PM

Petrol is cheaper than diesel so that makes it even less difference between them.

quattrodaddy
07-09-2017, 10:45 PM
I don't think so dear, as you will want to put super unleaded in the S6 which is more expensive than the cost of of normal diesel that you put in the Bi turbo.

10p a litre difference so something like £7 more to fill up the S6 than than BiTDI, I wouldn't loose any sleep over this :-)

NewAudi
07-09-2017, 10:48 PM

When driven sensibly, no, not much between them. My best in my 2014 BiTdi was 49mpg but the avg was around 36mpg which I though was quite decent.

A6S
08-09-2017, 08:33 AM
I don't think so dear, as you will want to put super unleaded in the S6 which is more expensive than the cost of of normal diesel that you put in the Bi turbo.

10p a litre difference so something like £7 more to fill up the S6 than than BiTDI, I wouldn't loose any sleep over this :-)

I use ultimate or vpower diesels. Petrol equivalent is cheaper by a couple of pence near me.

quattrodaddy
08-09-2017, 08:42 AM
Those diesels only have additional cleaning properties and don't provide any additional energy or power to the engine.

Super unleaded is a higher RON than normal petrol and provides more energy and power to the engine.

So with using super unleaded you get more power out of your car than normal unleaded, but with diesel there are not the performance step ups between standard and premium diesel, so you can use the cheaper product.

ukgroucho
08-09-2017, 02:14 PM
Maybe no more power but they do run nicer - not so noticeable in a V6 but my old 1.9Tdi 4 pot definitely ran smoother.
Also they claim better fuel economy because of the cleaning agents....

Putting all that aside, unless you do monumental mileage the extra cost for a bit of fuel is the least of your worries.
e.g. My allroad BiTdi averages 37 mpg. Assuming 12k miles a year thats 325 gallons or thereabouts
At 32MPG you'd burn 375 gallons of Petrol - so 50 gallons more.
Ignoring that petrol is cheaper that's less than £300 per year.

Now think about depreciation for a year .... The extra fuel cost is a drop in the ocean.

EssexGonzo
08-09-2017, 03:30 PM
Maybe no more power but they do run nicer - not so noticeable in a V6 but my old 1.9Tdi 4 pot definitely ran smoother.
Also they claim better fuel economy because of the cleaning agents....

Putting all that aside, unless you do monumental mileage the extra cost for a bit of fuel is the least of your worries.
e.g. My allroad BiTdi averages 37 mpg. Assuming 12k miles a year thats 325 gallons or thereabouts
At 32MPG you'd burn 375 gallons of Petrol - so 50 gallons more.
Ignoring that petrol is cheaper that's less than £300 per year.

Now think about depreciation for a year .... The extra fuel cost is a drop in the ocean.

A comment made so much more relevant by the current market sentiment towards diesel power right now........

NewAudi
08-09-2017, 05:15 PM
Some interesting reading there....as for fuel, over in Germany petrol costs more than diesel. But the gap is very close. Personally only ever use VPower or Ultimate 102, Super 98 in all our cars. Makes a huge difference on the S6 when I once tried the normal 95.

On daughters A3 it made no difference at all so she uses 95.

Also, for new cars sold here, petrol is the leader and always have been.

ukgroucho
08-09-2017, 05:57 PM
A comment made so much more relevant by the current market sentiment towards diesel power right now........

That is why my next car will be petrol or hybrid, unless they boost the range of all electric by 50 - 100% AND get the prices to be more 'approachable'.
The Tesla's have some nice toys but the model S is a pimped mondeo lookalike and the X is compromised for seating. And when you spec a nice one (decent range = more powerful) here in the UK you're into £100k plus territory.

I'm also increasingly disturbed by the complexity and potential for costly repairs in the diesel emissions systems now. Basically the relatively "simple" diesel engine has had a bunch of stuff added into the emissions systems that means it will break expensively much sooner than anything mechanical will fail. I love the way good diesel engines drive on the road (i.e. great mid-range grunt) but I think the bell has rung on the last round. VW group can blame themselves for providing a bunch of ammunition which means that the anti-diesel lobbyists can always point back at diesel-gate and wag their fingers.

NewAudi
09-09-2017, 07:12 PM
An interesting observation......while gearbox is in "S" mode, the start/stop system is deactivated. This was not the case on my 2014 BiTdi.

JSRed
13-09-2017, 05:29 PM
An interesting observation......while gearbox is in "S" mode, the start/stop system is deactivated. This was not the case on my 2014 BiTdi.Same in my 2017 Bitdi. S mode means no start stop.
I've also only just noticed the gear selection between S and D is jerky in S and smooth in D, to the point you hardly notice it change. I'm not sure why it's jerky in S... surely a nice smooth change is better than a jerky one in any driving mode.

JSRed
13-09-2017, 05:31 PM
Figured I had to post this in my own thread as well. Latest "mod".....

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4429/36294283716_dd97faeba8_b.jpgAlso I've just seen this pic. I promised myself just yesterday I wouldn't spend the money on these puddle lights, then I see this photo today.
And and Audi dealer is selling them for £65 posted on eBay with loads of sets available... they're calling me [emoji23]

Tripletrouble
13-09-2017, 05:54 PM
Buy them from Amazon or E Bay and save yourself £45

NewAudi
13-09-2017, 08:35 PM
Same in my 2017 Bitdi. S mode means no start stop.
I've also only just noticed the gear selection between S and D is jerky in S and smooth in D, to the point you hardly notice it change. I'm not sure why it's jerky in S... surely a nice smooth change is better than a jerky one in any driving mode.

Same on mine. But as it never was jerky on my BiTdi I put it down to the S Tronic gearbox.

NewAudi
13-09-2017, 08:37 PM
Also I've just seen this pic. I promised myself just yesterday I wouldn't spend the money on these puddle lights, then I see this photo today.
And and Audi dealer is selling them for £65 posted on eBay with loads of sets available... they're calling me [emoji23]

I have a spare set I would happily get rid off!

Bought for the rear doors but wont fit as I have the B&O system.....:p they do however fit fine if you have standard or the Bose system.

JSRed
13-09-2017, 09:06 PM
Same on mine. But as it never was jerky on my BiTdi I put it down to the S Tronic gearbox.It's barely noticeable, just you can feel the change compared to D which is silky smooth. I only notice it if I'm driving 'gently' in S mode.

Ref the ring lights, they're pretty cheap over here with postage so you might be better to flog them in Germany to recoup your money.

NewAudi
13-09-2017, 09:14 PM
It's barely noticeable, just you can feel the change compared to D which is silky smooth. I only notice it if I'm driving 'gently' in S mode.

Ref the ring lights, they're pretty cheap over here with postage so you might be better to flog them in Germany to recoup your money.

Hehe...no problem, I am in the UK every 2-4 weeks so no worries there. Just happy if they find a nice home. Don't fit daughters A3 unfortunately....

NewAudi
21-09-2017, 07:00 PM
Just returned from north Essex to Cologne on one tank! Not bad, I am actually highly impressed!

In numbers, it did it at only 8.8l/100km = 34mpg :D

(Ignore the Capital UK - used TuneIn and the mileage driven since zeroed (forgot to zero it).
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4356/37371299235_b40eb105a5_b.jpg

ukgroucho
21-09-2017, 08:08 PM
So what's the story with the s-Tronic in the S6... is it up to the job?
I've always wondered because of the use of the ZF box in the BiTdi and RS6.

I'm toying with swapping to an S6 mid next year - pick up one of the last V8s...

NewAudi
21-09-2017, 09:32 PM
So what's the story with the s-Tronic in the S6... is it up to the job?
I've always wondered because of the use of the ZF box in the BiTdi and RS6.

I'm toying with swapping to an S6 mid next year - pick up one of the last V8s...

Well, it certainly behaves differentley from the 8-speeder but its much faster and smoother in its gear changes. So far so good. Mine is on a service and warranty contract so I dont really care if it goes belly up. Its their problem...I mean, I am fully covered! Back in Germany I tend to drive the car quite a bit harder than I do on long distance so basically a nice testing period and if anything goes wrong, its for them to sort out and knowing my dealer, I will be well looked after.

The engine is a gem and anyone who buys the S6 will be in love with it! Its a sleeper that no-one understands the power off until you put your foot down....its seriously quick! Much quicker than the BiTdi! To 125mph its a whopping 6 sec quicker (the RS6 another 5s off!)....

Buy one. You will NOT regret it!

The new S6 will feature a 6-cyl engine from the RS5, albeit tweaked. All accordance to my dealer and AutoBild, the German car mag.

ukgroucho
22-09-2017, 01:18 AM
The new S6 will feature a 6-cyl engine from the RS5, albeit tweaked. All accordance to my dealer and AutoBild, the German car mag.

Yes I heard that, so the trade off is the 'old' V8 (which sounds lovely) but the questionable long term reliability of the s-tronic vs. a V6 but a ZF 8 speed box as I understand it - which is pretty bulletproof. Unless they move to something more exotic (I think ZF have a 9 speeder..).
My brother had an S4 with s-tronic (thankfully in the US) and had a number of issues with mechatronics (I think he had two) and I think finally a gearbox replacement... amazingly all done under warranty as in the US the drivetrain had a 100k warranty if I recall.

NewAudi
22-09-2017, 05:31 AM
Yes I heard that, so the trade off is the 'old' V8 (which sounds lovely) but the questionable long term reliability of the s-tronic vs. a V6 but a ZF 8 speed box as I understand it - which is pretty bulletproof. Unless they move to something more exotic (I think ZF have a 9 speeder..).
My brother had an S4 with s-tronic (thankfully in the US) and had a number of issues with mechatronics (I think he had two) and I think finally a gearbox replacement... amazingly all done under warranty as in the US the drivetrain had a 100k warranty if I recall.

Without looking, I think the new RS5 do have a 9-speeder.....

Personally I much prefer the ZF box I had in the BiTdi, but that is noticable slower (if one can actually call it slow). I guess time will tell re these S tronix boxes and hopefully if something goes wrong its eithervin warranty or after the car has been returned to Audi!

NewAudi
15-10-2017, 11:08 AM
Now with the colder mornings, I have sadly had to book the car in with my dealer for warranty work. My rear screen heater have almost given up the ghost with most of the electric wires not functioning. Dealer and I both and completely surprised as neither of us have ever experienced this!

wildbore
16-10-2017, 10:08 PM
When mated to a petrol engine, the ZF box is hardly any slower (in real terms) than a twin clutch. I suspect that the ZF shift times are slowed in the Bi-burbo to accommodate the heavy flywheel, giving the impression that the twin-clutch is a much faster box than the ZF. You have to be drag racing to pick out a ZF change on the RS6 compared to (say) a PDK change on a Porsche Macan.

NewAudi
17-10-2017, 06:26 AM
I am sure you are right. Its the perceived speed of changes that feels quicker. Dont actually think its any quicker, but the Audi development team is probably the only ones who could answer that for sure. Does make mw wonder though why they have fitted the S-tronic and not the 8-speeder in the S6.....

wildbore
17-10-2017, 07:27 AM
My understanding was that the S-tronic is pretty well sorted, now. I also note that the new Continental GT is fitted with a twin-clutch box, rather than the ZF that is currently fitted throughout the Bentley range, so VW group have clearly got a lot of confidence in the box - and, it appears, they have overcome the torque issue that led Audi to fit the ZF in the RS6 (the new Continental packs a hefty 900Nm).

NewAudi
17-10-2017, 07:31 PM
Winter wheels fitted (may seem early, especially as we had 22C today and 26C yesterday!

Anyway, 19" BBS SX Line in Black shod with Conti's TS. Looks pretty much the same as Audi originals. But what a different drive compared to the 21"! Much quiter, smoother but A LOT less handling.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4449/37710905876_b05c8c96be_b.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4500/37727387512_446cbbbc25_b.jpg

Odyn
18-10-2017, 07:32 PM
Wheels and car look great, congrats. Those silver mirrors would kill me though!

NewAudi
18-10-2017, 08:29 PM
Wheels and car look great, congrats. Those silver mirrors would kill me though!

Thanks! The silver mirrors are a bit special. Wife has them on her R-Design as well. Over here I had a choice of silver, body colour or black. The silver are only fitted on S and RS models. They reflect a little bit on the car and in strong sun, mixes nicely with the blue colour of the car in the sidewindows. Quite like it tbh.

A6S
18-10-2017, 09:37 PM
Very nice car. Colour and those winter wheels looks really good. Mine is the just the run off the mill Audi winter 18s.
How much were they if you don’t mind me asking? Mate is looking for a set for his rs6 and they seem to be in the region of £2500 second hand.

NewAudi
19-10-2017, 05:55 AM
Very nice car. Colour and those winter wheels looks really good. Mine is the just the run off the mill Audi winter 18s.
How much were they if you don’t mind me asking? Mate is looking for a set for his rs6 and they seem to be in the region of £2500 second hand.

Thanks!

I previously had some cheapo winterwheels (like €100 a piece) in 18” but they won’t fit over the S6’s brakes so had to get some new ones for this. Decided I wanted Audi-looking wheels and in black (personally I find Audi wheels for winter not looking particular exciting) so decided to get these...the wheels themselves are 19” BBS SX Design Line in black (more off-black actually) and cost around €175 per piece here in Germany. Tires are Conti TS 830 (I think!). Total spent around €1500. Bargain! BBS have a configurator btw...

SX (https://bbs.com/en/products/design_line/SX.php)

A6S
19-10-2017, 09:54 AM
€175 a piece is pretty good. Definitely looks better than my Audi winters.

NewAudi
06-11-2017, 10:19 PM
The S6 continues to impress me with an ever improving mpg, but who's complaining?!

34mpg on a small trip from Cologne to Dusseldorf yesterday incl free speed sections etc (although I never went above 80mph!). For the ones that notice, I was using the Efficiency mode, but as a trial only. Does makde the S6 a very sedate (read: normal behaving) car. Have tried it on a recent trip to/from the UK as well but didn't make much of a difference in the end. Probably is great in winter though.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4574/37512515004_8655cb3274_b.jpg

JonathanK
07-11-2017, 01:28 AM
The S6 continues to impress me with an ever improving mpg, but who's complaining?!

34mpg on a small trip from Cologne to Dusseldorf yesterday incl free speed sections etc (although I never went above 80mph!). For the ones that notice, I was using the Efficiency mode, but as a trial only. Does makde the S6 a very sedate (read: normal behaving) car. Have tried it on a recent trip to/from the UK as well but didn't make much of a difference in the end. Probably is great in winter though.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4574/37512515004_8655cb3274_b.jpg

I’m in the USA at the moment and I’ve hired a Camaro SS. I thought you’d be interested in some comparison V8 to V8.

I expected low 20’s to the gallon but it shuts down to a V4 when the power isn’t needed and in 600+ miles from Vegas to LA then LA to Carmel I’ve got 27.8 out of it. Pretty impressive for a hooligan with a 6.2L V8.

A couple of things impress me about the car. As you’d expect from a 6L engine producing 455bhp and 455lbs/ft it never feels stressed. 0-60 is listed at 3.9. It feels like it. The car has a split personality that’s controlled by the throttle. Calm and unexpectedly comfortable under normal driving, frantic and brutally frenetic when you use your right foot.

The biggest disappointment is the 8 speed gearbox which I thought was the same ZF as my BiTdi but is, according to the WWW, a GM 8 speeder. When you give it welly it doesn’t know what gear to choose but it’s seldom the right one. You have to be really careful how far you press the throttle or you end up dropping 3 or 4 gears and screaming down the road when all you really wanted to do was drop one gear and use the torque.

Of course, you can’t compare the interior quality to an Audi but the fit is good. It doesn’t rattle and the seats are comfortable.

All in all I’m impressed especially as In standard form this costs around £30k. Even with a crappy boot opening and useless rear seat space that’s a lot of car for the money and in this colour i think it looks great.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171107/f018b1e860ccd494836c52a089b464d0.jpg

morski
08-11-2017, 01:44 AM
Whats the size of the rear discs on the S6?

NewAudi
08-11-2017, 06:42 AM
Whats the size of the rear discs on the S6?

No idea but they are bigger than say the BiTdi. Minimum size wheel with standard brakes are 19” (20” with Ceramic brakes).

morski
08-11-2017, 11:25 AM
Im aware of the front and wheel size specs but was curious about the rear size.
UPDATE: 356mm on rear.

ukgroucho
13-11-2017, 08:18 PM
Camero looks very "angry".. but I do like them (more so than the Ford Mustang).

I was in Las Vegas last week too.. could have met up for a cold one if we'd known.

NewAudi
13-11-2017, 09:31 PM
Perhaps not Vegas, but I am in Corby tonight and Haydock tomorrow.....;)

Interesting, an A6 decided to park right next to the S6 in an otherwise empty hotel car park!

wildbore
13-11-2017, 10:14 PM
My understanding was that the S-tronic is pretty well sorted, now. I also note that the new Continental GT is fitted with a twin-clutch box, rather than the ZF that is currently fitted throughout the Bentley range, so VW group have clearly got a lot of confidence in the box - and, it appears, they have overcome the torque issue that led Audi to fit the ZF in the RS6 (the new Continental packs a hefty 900Nm).

Duh! I don't know why I didn't think of it when I wrote this - it turns out that the new Continental has the Porsche PDK 'box, which is easily up to the job of a 650bhp+ engine. I was guessing -wrongly - that VAG had beefed up the S-tronic.

ukgroucho
14-11-2017, 02:41 PM
[QUOTE=NewAudi;Interesting, an A6 decided to park right next to the S6 in an otherwise empty hotel car park![/QUOTE]

Probably hoping that some of the "life force" from the S6 would rub off on it.

A6S
14-11-2017, 03:47 PM

Most likely thinking if a car was gonna get stolen/vandalised it would be the s6 and not the standard A6 😄

NewAudi
14-11-2017, 11:35 PM

Good point!

Saying that, nothing has yet happened so all good and hanky dory.

Funny thing happened today as I pulled into the car park at a customer. One of the ladies, who I dont deal with, started talking to me re the S6, loving the color etc. she said she’s a real petrol head and knew all about the S6 ;) at another customer, the MD drives an RS6....he still looked as I got back into mine (his is a normal dark blue metallic) :p

JonathanK
15-11-2017, 12:14 AM
Camero looks very "angry".. but I do like them (more so than the Ford Mustang).

I was in Las Vegas last week too.. could have met up for a cold one if we'd known.

Seema?

ukgroucho
15-11-2017, 10:30 AM
Seema?

Nah a Sales Kickoff at the MGM Grand.

JonathanK
15-11-2017, 10:32 AM
Nah a Sales Kickoff at the MGM Grand.

Ha, I was across the road in the Tropicana. Purely leisure though. Got married there

ukgroucho
15-11-2017, 12:08 PM
Ha, I was across the road in the Tropicana. Purely leisure though. Got married there
Congratulations!

NewAudi
20-11-2017, 11:21 PM
Since I got my S6 in March I have now done just under 11k mls and it continues to impress me. Fuel consumption is nowhere near as bad as one would think and its extremely refined and smooth, or a beast if one wants to. Best mpg so far has been 35mpg on a nice and easy run from UK back to Cologne. Worst? Hehe....dont mention it!

The 4-cylinder mode works even at 115mph!

However, one weird issue is that its currently with my dealer to replace the rear screen as the heater elements have given up! A very rare issue indeed! Replacement? A Q2 1.6 Tdi with 116bhp.....no oomph at all and the manual gearbox is a notchy, clunk-clunk things! Hate it! Cant wait to get my own back!

NewAudi
24-02-2018, 09:57 PM
Father & Daughter... :p

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4649/40463074921_036d046e18_b.jpg

NewAudi
01-04-2018, 09:14 PM
Changed my winter wheels back to the summer ones just a week ago so decided to ditch the original 21”Conti’s for new 21” Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. What a difference! Quiter, grip is several times better and time will tell re fuel consumption, but I would actually expect worse due to my more spirited driving....

wildbore
02-04-2018, 12:57 PM
Were you running the ContiSport 5 or 6? Were they with ContiSilent?

NewAudi
02-04-2018, 02:25 PM
Were you running the ContiSport 5 or 6? Were they with ContiSilent?

I have no idea what the were, except Conti’s. Came with the car from factory. Sorry cant help on that one.

If you are looking for quiet, go for the Michelins.

My previous BiTdi came with 20” Pirelli’s, swapped over to Michelins on that one too, but after about 500 miles. Made a huge difference on that one too. The Pirellis are outright dangerous!

wildbore
03-04-2018, 09:16 AM
Agree about Pirellis. I haven't used them for years on either cars or bikes; had a moment on a motorbike and never had any desire since to find out if they have improved. However, the Continentals with the Audi-specified foam inserts are uncannily quiet - considered to be much more so than the Michelins by those who have tried both. My car came with Continentals and they vastly outperform the car - on the public road, at least (not tried tracking it) - and they are super-quiet. I have stuck with them consistently, although it has been a difficult choice over the better value Michelins, but the extra quietness is worth it, I think.

NewAudi
03-04-2018, 04:07 PM
Agree about Pirellis. I haven't used them for years on either cars or bikes; had a moment on a motorbike and never had any desire since to find out if they have improved. However, the Continentals with the Audi-specified foam inserts are uncannily quiet - considered to be much more so than the Michelins by those who have tried both. My car came with Continentals and they vastly outperform the car - on the public road, at least (not tried tracking it) - and they are super-quiet. I have stuck with them consistently, although it has been a difficult choice over the better value Michelins, but the extra quietness is worth it, I think.

Maybe the Continentals that are specific to Audi are for the smaller sizes? Mine were in 21” size and not specifically for Audi....perhaps that would explain why I find the Michelins so much quieter. My car also has the 360 degrees laminated windows (not available in the UK for some strange reason) so that would make a big difference between tire makes when not fitted.

wildbore
03-04-2018, 04:15 PM
Mine are 285/30/21 with the R01 Audi-specific fitment code. Yes - only got double glazing on the front in mine - definitely louder in the back than front.

NewAudi
03-04-2018, 04:40 PM
Was the same on my previous, front only. Wife then got a new XC60 where we added the laminated windows. Such a big difference I went for it as well. My dealer was extra excited about it as I also have the B&O and, according to him, can enjoy the sound even more....