PDA

View Full Version : Buying a B8 2008 A4 Multitronic

Dgreen7
13-11-2016, 05:28 PM
I am considering buying an early B8 2008 A4 2.0 TDi 143 Multitronic with 130,000 miles at auction. I've carried out some research and it sounds as though the Multitronic in the B8 is far more reliable than the earlier A4. However is it still risky buying a B8 Multitronic with this milaege and are there any quick tests I can do to check the condition of the gearbox. I've read that vibration when pulling away points to problems with the Multitronic but this will be fairly tricky to check at auction

I previously owned a similar mileage 2003 A4 2.5 TDi Multitronic which never gave any problems but I've since read that this transmission is potentially a nightmare!

Much appreciate any advice on whether the B8 Multitronic is superior?

steve26
29-11-2016, 11:45 AM
HI Have a 2008 Multitronic with 170,000 klms on the clock and have not had any problems with the motor or transmission.
The engine bay is spotless, rarely need to add engine oil and the car runs beautifully.
problems i have had with the car are a climate control flap tapping and a rear door lock actuator not unlocking.

I also have a 1.8T that engine has had oil leaks, water pump replaced and the multitronic transmission has not been running properly from the start.
when you try to accelerate fast there is a pause then the car takes off with a wheel spin. really annoying. i am planning to replace the transmission with one from a wrecker soon.

so they can a little hit and miss.

Scott K
29-11-2016, 12:33 PM
Maybe the only thing you could do is check it has a full service history and check that gearbox oil changes have been done.