PDA

View Full Version : Question Matrix headlights on motorways

El-Cap
03-11-2016, 10:24 PM
With the darker nights I am getting used to the matrix headlights which seem to have three settings main beam, auto, and dipped. The main beam(blue light) seems to self dip, the auto (head lamp with A symbol) is automatic and finally dipped (no symbol)
- as far as I can work it out!

I am finding the auto lights fine on A and B roads. However on motorways when I tried them there were a couple of people flashing in the other carriageway (this was in low traffic volumes so it was surely for my benefit!)

Anyone got any advice for motorway use of these lights?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Akash
03-11-2016, 10:52 PM
So are you keeping the high beam assist on?
I personally keep lights on auto but high beam assist on only when I'm on dark country lanes etc

Essentially where I would be usually pulling on the high beam stalk, those areas I keep the high beam assist on to avoid having to pull the stalk and then I switch it off once it is more lit
stops the lights going into beam mode on motorways etc

unless I've read your thread wrong...

El-Cap
03-11-2016, 11:05 PM
So are you keeping the high beam assist on?
I personally keep lights on auto but high beam assist on only when I'm on dark country lanes etc

Essentially where I would be usually pulling on the high beam stalk, those areas I keep the high beam assist on to avoid having to pull the stalk and then I switch it off once it is more lit
stops the lights going into beam mode on motorways etc

unless I've read your thread wrong...

I don't think you have read it wrong - particularly when I don't really know what I am talking about!!

I think would have had high beam assist on on as I hadn't appreciated there is a difference between the two. So I take it that if I have the auto on (the one with an A symbol) that will work OK on dual carriage roads then?

H8t0w8
04-11-2016, 09:10 AM
I have a similar problem with my leds, they don't dip on the motorways or dip early enough and I keep getting flashed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lazyoaf
04-11-2016, 01:58 PM
They don't dip brilliantly, where there is an obstruction between you and oncoming traffic, such as motorway barriers, armco, or even a load of taller weeds.

The technology isn't good enough for those situations sadly.
Just the way it is..

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

EssexGonzo
04-11-2016, 02:20 PM
Yep, I reckon it's the High Beam Assist bit which is rubbish, as it is on most cars with any sort of headlight. I leave it off on Motorways.

However, the "matrix" function works almost impeccably on A and B roads.

GrolschUK
04-11-2016, 03:44 PM
I didn't think there was a High Beam Assist on Matrix lights?

You push the stalk away once, and A appears...
In town and lit areas (known by gps location) it dips.
Leave town and full beam comes on.
The matrix system will then dim areas when required, either behind cars, or oncoming.
How do you make High Beam Assist kick in? (I read this as it swapping between full and dipped when other cars are detected, but not partial dimming ala-matrix)

I think the problem is the detection distance... Even on long straight A roads I sometimes get flashed and then the lights dim.
A slight annoyance to oncoming cars, but maybe they are too eager to tell you that you are still on full beam.
The whole system tends to see other objects well, even if a second or two too late.

pany
04-11-2016, 08:25 PM
Definitely high beam assist on matrix lights. Push once get the high beam symbol and the a in bulb as high beam assist. Push forward again, get blue high beam, no high beam assist and see how often you get flashed. Got to remember can track 9 cars, or light objects. If lit motorway/ dual carriageway, cars in front of you, street lighting, reflective signs, oncoming cars, central reservations etc it doesn't stand a chance, as will overload the inputs.

Nigelo
05-11-2016, 12:00 AM
I think the problem maybe predictive flashing by some oncoming drivers who are not actually dazzled themselves but believe you have lights on full beam because they can see the indirect light spread. I don't know where max 9 light objects comes from as each LED within the matrix lamp has its own sensor and will react accordingly.

I read somewhere that Wipac developed the system originally for racing with each LED shining down a small tube that is also fitted with a sensor. They don't actually "track" at all but rather sense a light source in each LED (or group of LEDs) direct path and then dims that LED/group. This is completely different from the non matrix lamps that use a camera as the sensor for "active" control

hope this helps

wildbore
05-11-2016, 09:52 AM
Not sure about this thread. Is it about Matrix lights or LED lights? The Matrix lights have an individually-adddressable array of about 25 or more LEDs in each lamp, which are controlled by the camera. The LED lights are - as far as I am aware, either on full beam or dipped; not sure if they are camera or light-sensor controlled. Which system is being discussed here?

BTW: I have done 23,000 miles (only some of it at night!) on Matrix lights and only been flashed once or twice. Although I am never flashed on motorways with them on high beam, I turn them off because they occasionally miss an oncoming car because of the crash barrier.

M1tchy
05-11-2016, 10:34 AM
My non matrix LEDs have a few settings but they are essentially full beam or not. In over 3 years of owning it I've been flashed a handful of times. Returning a full beam flash gets the point across quite quickly that they weren't on!

SMILEMAN
05-11-2016, 11:56 AM
Yes mitchy, I think the problem is that they are bright anyway and sometimes people think they are on main.
I am amazed at how accurate the assist function is with the matrix system, I also found it quite good with the "normal" led on my last c7.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

wildbore
05-11-2016, 01:04 PM
I am amazed at how accurate the assist function is with the matrix system...

No offence to Smileman, but this is what I mean about the thread being confusing -unless you have another car not listed on your footnote, Smileman, you don't have matrix lights, which were only introduced at the facelift in 2014(and your avatar pic shows standard LED lights).What lights are people talking about here?

SMILEMAN
05-11-2016, 01:11 PM
Yep sorry, not updated my avatar yet, my new c7 (ref garnet to sepang) has matrix led, so I can compare both, will update my pic!!

wildbore
05-11-2016, 01:27 PM
Yep sorry, not updated my avatar yet, my new c7 (ref garnet to sepang) has matrix led, so I can compare both, will update my pic!!

Then you are better qualified than anyone else on this thread to assess the various systems' merits!

El-Cap
05-11-2016, 01:34 PM
The thread is about Matrix lights hence the title! :)

Anyway seems I am not the only confused one. However I think the point that the motorway barriers - particularly the concrete ones - limit their functionally is probably spot on.

The manual isn't very clear on how the Matrix lights work - just a small additional section after the description of the standard lights.

Nigelo
05-11-2016, 02:06 PM
My previous post also refers to Matrix lights as standard fitment to my MY2016 RS6. Further info on following link
Audi - Glossary - Matrix Beam (https://www.audi.co.uk/glossary/m/matrix-beam.html)

wildbore
05-11-2016, 03:02 PM
The thread is about Matrix lights hence the title! :)

Yes, but then a fair amount of erroneous information crept in and then I wondered if some people were talking about different lighting systems. Anyway, Matrix lights.... great things.

brummygit
06-11-2016, 07:21 PM
I've also recently moved from a 2013 A6 S-Line with adaptive xenon lights to a 2017 A6 BE with Matrix Lights.

I used to find the adaptive too slow to react and I would get flashed reasonably often, especially on motorways and dual carriageways but also on normal roads, so I ended up turning the high beam assist off. The cornering lights were excellent and I found them really useful.

With my matrix lights I'm amazed how well they work and don't get flashed - except on motorways where the barrier has blocked the oncoming lights and then I've been flashed. I'm occasionally concerned that I am dazzling cars I come up behind before I get close enough for the Matrix system to dim them out so it makes me quite self conscious - otherwise on normal roads they are pretty much flawless.

I've noticed a few things however:

- I never notice the cornering feature even though I have Navigation Plus and am convinced it does nothing
- The main beam isn't as good as my xenons were. I can see the blocks from each LED
- If they are in automatic and the main beam is off, I can't work out how to turn off the matrix system with the indicator stalk without lighting up the main beam first. If the beam is on then its the usual pull off

wildbore
06-11-2016, 09:32 PM
I have hardly ever noticed corner function, but there is one tight bend (almost a sharp corner) on an unlit road that I drive regularly; the cornering light comes on about 30 metres befor ethe bend and before I have turned the wheel. So, the cornering light works and is being driven by navigation data. Other than that corner, though, I cannot remember noting it in operation.

Agree about xenon. If you want good, far-reaching main beam then xenon outdoes LED any day. Can't wait for a car with laser lights...

Gareth_Rees
08-11-2016, 04:39 PM
I've got a new A7 loaner whilst mine is in for some warranty work. I don't have matrix lights, but this loaner obviously does.
Initially impressions...they are fantastic! Work flawlessly and haven't been flashed. Until on a motorway that is! I left them on and on a quiet motorway I was flashed by pretty much every car for the first mile or so until I begrudgingly turned them off.
Good point about whether other users were actually being dazzled or just saw the lights and thought they were on full beam...apparently they can't hear it when you shout "I've got f&*%ing matrix lights!!!" :o

Bar Shaker
09-11-2016, 04:09 PM
This isn't about the barriers stopping the sensors seeing the other cars. The sensors are in the unit behind the rear view mirror so are above the driver's head. A colleague at work has non matrix LEDs in his A6 and this sensor is a completely different shape, together with the light unit internals, in what are otherwise identical cars. This makes sense as if the sensors were in the headlight unit, my lights would blind drivers when there was any sort of crest to the road profile... as the other driver's eyes would be getting my lights, before the sensor saw his lights. This doesn't happen.

I suspect that as the the light from cars on the other carriageway is not shining directly at the sensor, it is below the trigger threshold, so the pixels don't turn off.

Lazyoaf
09-11-2016, 09:11 PM
I have the absolute top of the line Led lights and I can say with absolute confidence that the sensor is often fooled very easily by central barriers and tall weeds. The mirror is at eye height and you can clearly see how at distance the oncoming headlights are interrupted by such things in the way, with your own eyes. System works extremely well on all other roads, although oncoming cyclists it misses sometimes even if they have half decent lights on. It's only really annoying on unlit motorways and dual carriageways. That and the fact you have to switch it on every single time you start the car. Should have been an MMI option.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

SMILEMAN
09-11-2016, 09:20 PM
Switch on everytime you start the car????.
Mine is activated all the time and come on the first time i switch main beam on...is that what you mean?

Lazyoaf
09-11-2016, 11:45 PM
Switch on everytime you start the car????.
Mine is activated all the time and come on the first time i switch main beam on...is that what you mean?

We may be at cross purposes, Im referring to the automatic main beam function, which as it says, turns on the main beam automatically when your doing above 30 mph AND its dark enough (usually meaning there are very few or no street lights).
To switch it on you have to push the main beam stalk away from you and then an "A" will appear in green on the dash singifying that the auto main beam function is on.

SMILEMAN
10-11-2016, 09:27 AM
Oh thats ok...mines the same.