PDA

View Full Version : Vcds

sacha35
03-11-2016, 10:09 AM
Hi All
As per title, as you know we have some fantastic software inVCDS and are able to do many wonderful things at dealer level, clear faultcodes, reset service lights, do adaptation’s.
My question:
Is there any text service manual’s that show us thespecification and tolerances we should be working with regards readings fromVCDS, it is all very well having this fantastic software but without being ableto cross reference what a component should be reading and what it is recording itis going to make things extremely difficult to find the correct answer as the informationwe are seeing is just information without the knowledge of what we are supposedto be seeing.

I’ll give you one or two examples if it was not for thepeople of this forum and the internet I would not have been able to make surethe timing was 100% correct as there is some lateral play in the adjustableVernier Camshaft Gear and pump used. So thank you all for the information youhave provided me with.
At the moment I am trying to do some test on the turbo andair flow system to make sure it is working correctly and within factory spec, Ihave done quite a bit of web reading and yes there is some information withregards using VCDS to check things, but nothing with regards vehicle specific technicalinformation as far as I can find to what the correct readings should be and proceduresfor testing.
This is in no way a rant, as said I think the software wehave is fantastic, all I am asking is, is there any manual’s out there that showus the specific vehicle readings on what we should be working with.

Thanks all

Gunnark100
03-11-2016, 10:29 AM
As far i know, no such manual for correct readings etc...There is some info over web and in service manuals, but its all very relative. So as always, for each special diagnostic "thing" for B8 specialy engine, you need to google like hell and contact right people and put puzzle together. I would like to have such manual also:)

Crasher
03-11-2016, 11:12 AM
Full VCDS has some info in pop ups and text files but it does not tend to be comprehensive and even more so on European models. There is no printed info that covers everything and since around 2000 VAG have taken away all data values from their workshop systems (both dealer and independent level AKA erWin) and put them into their diagnostic system which is now called ODIS. This is available to none dealers but the hoops of fire you have to jump through are unbelievable and they charge you by the hour when using it, annual access is nearly 3000 Euro. I have JUST managed to get myself onto the ODIS system but not fully up and running yet and this involved joining erWin (which I did 10 years ago) then obtaining a VW organisation independent repairer ID number and then giving VAG UK my passport, driving licence and a letter from my accountant. The problem that has stopped me dead is I bought a fancy HP laptop to dedicate it to and then found ODIS will only work on WIN7, not 10! Even then I will not have full access unless I spend thousands more on one of their dedicated diagnostic computers.

sacha35
03-11-2016, 11:57 AM
Full VCDS has some info in pop ups and text files but it does not tend to be comprehensive and even more so on European models. There is no printed info that covers everything and since around 2000 VAG have taken away all data values from their workshop systems (both dealer and independent level AKA erWin) and put them into their diagnostic system which is now called ODIS. This is available to none dealers but the hoops of fire you have to jump through are unbelievable and they charge you by the hour when using it, annual access is nearly 3000 Euro. I have JUST managed to get myself onto the ODIS system but not fully up and running yet and this involved joining erWin (which I did 10 years ago) then obtaining a VW organisation independent repairer ID number and then giving VAG UK my passport, driving licence and a letter from my accountant. The problem that has stopped me dead is I bought a fancy HP laptop to dedicate it to and then found ODIS will only work on WIN7, not 10! Even then I will not have full access unless I spend thousands more on one of their dedicated diagnostic computers.

Thank you for the info guys,

I thought it was just me getting old. So the systems these days are very much locked down to manufacture only information, gone are the days of the good old Haynes manuals that showed the technical spec.
So to put it bluntly we are just in fact looking at a bunch of numbers without any reference to go by?

Many Thanks again.

Crasher
03-11-2016, 02:17 PM
To a certain extent yes but a mixture of experience, tinterweb and VCDS pop info boxes helps you get through

sacha35
03-11-2016, 06:35 PM
To a certain extent yes but a mixture of experience, tinterweb and VCDS pop info boxes helps you get through

thanks again for your input crasher, I have Elsawin already, but as you know very little reference to codes and measurement points.I guess what I am looking for is something like torque settings but for vehicle specific VCDS to show measurement points so we can then take reading from the said vehicle and cross reference it to make sure it is within specification.

But I suppose things have moved on from the days of the ford pinto engines and MK1 quattro

Thanks again

Crasher
04-11-2016, 05:44 PM
Recently I was working on an original 1994 S4 doing some pretty in depth stuff and realised it was actually far less complex and required fewer specilsist tools than a Polo 6R 1.2 petrol!