PDA

View Full Version : Oil pressure failure after oil pump change

stu_eg
02-11-2016, 09:16 PM
Hi,

Hoping someone maybe able to help. I have a 2008 2.0 TDI tiguan 140 bhp.

I dropped my car off at the garage with a DPF failure and a oil pressure light faulting. The car had gone into limp home mode.

Whats happened so far!

1. DPF regen and those faults all cleared.
2. Oil pressure sensor changed to try to clear the oil pressure fault. Oil pressure fault still showing.
3. Oil pump and balancing shaft replaced. The shaft was completely rounded and the oil pump broken.
4. Oil changed. Oil pressure checked with an analyser and all appears ok @ 2000rpm. Oil pressure fault still showing and no fault faults coming up on the diagnostic hookup.
5. Appears the turbo as completely failed, but the garage isn't happy about replacing it incase it goes again due the old pressure light being lit.
6. Garage rang VW (they are independent) and they suggest changing a level sensor in the sump.

Anyone have anything that have give an idea as to why there is an oil pressure fault and yet the diagnostic shows none.

Any help gratefully received.

Gazwould
02-11-2016, 10:26 PM
Who's kit did they use for oil pump balancer shaft regeneration ?

Engine code ?

stu_eg
02-11-2016, 10:34 PM
The oil pump and balance shaft replacements where both genuine parts as far as I know.

There is no fault code now...thats half the issue, given that the oil pressure fault is still showing

Gazwould
02-11-2016, 10:55 PM
Oem balancer shafts are rubbish and full of engineering faults .

stu_eg
02-11-2016, 11:05 PM
It appears to be working ok. The pressure test gives a positive result.

The issue is, why th low pressure fault and no fault code.

itavaltalainen
02-11-2016, 11:28 PM
I assume oil pressure test is OK at 2000/min at no load?
If turbo if ****** it may loose oil pressure under load?

Crasher
02-11-2016, 11:57 PM
So is the light red or yellow?

stu_eg
03-11-2016, 06:04 AM
Oil pressure is fine as tested stationery. The turbo hasn't been replaced yet.

It's a red oil light. The odd part about it is that it doesn't get lit until the revs pass 2000. Sat there it appears fine!

Crasher
03-11-2016, 11:03 AM
Nothing odd about it, that is how VAG's dynamic oil pressure warning system has worked since 1981, what is the oil pressure reading in Bar at 2000 rpm with the oil at or above 80 degrees?

stu_eg
03-11-2016, 05:27 PM
@2000 it tests as 7bar so i've just been told. Would the turbo being shot have an affect on oil pressure warning being triggered? Basically what i'm saying is...is it worth putting on a new turbo and hoping for the best?

Crasher
03-11-2016, 05:51 PM
7 Bar at 2K at 80 degrees+ is very strong, almost too much. Do you have the part number of the new switch they fitted?

stu_eg
03-11-2016, 05:57 PM
Sorry not to hand. I have just ask them to email it too me. I though 7 bar seem quite strong...perhaps too much sets it off too?

stu_eg
03-11-2016, 06:02 PM
I'm told its part number is "03G 115 105 H" from the search I just did, it appear to be OEM an part.

Crasher
04-11-2016, 12:25 PM
Do you have the part number of the new switch they fitted?

I am assuming your engine is a CBAB. 03G 115 105 H is the part number of the oil pump.

stu_eg
04-11-2016, 12:33 PM
Yes its a CBAB model. ANy suggstions on a way forward would be greatfully appreciated...running out of ideas!!!

Crasher
04-11-2016, 06:54 PM
I need the part number of the new oil pressure switch that they have fitted.

itavaltalainen
04-11-2016, 06:56 PM
7 bars???
Seems quite a bit too high if you ask me?

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

stu_eg
04-11-2016, 08:20 PM
I'll ask, I think they are open tomorrow. Any other details while i'm asking?

Crasher
05-11-2016, 11:16 AM
I would be more sure if I was convinced about their oil pressure readings

stu_eg
06-11-2016, 08:28 PM
Not sure what more todo other than trust that they have it right

Crasher
07-11-2016, 12:06 AM
You could at least make sure they have fitted the correct oil pressure switch or that even the wire is broken, if they knew what they were doing they could look at the status of the signal in measuring blocks using their diagnostic equipment. If it really has 7 Bar @ 2000rpm at 80 degrees using a 5w/30 oil then the oil light should not come on so something is wrong.

stu_eg
07-11-2016, 09:35 AM
They are going to send through the part numbers this morning, so those can be checked. As for getting the "signal in measuring blocks" from the sensor. I'm overly sure what you mean, but I assume you are suggesting reading the raw data coming off the senor? I would be suprised if they haven't done that already, but I will suggest it. As far as I know the cable has been checked.

stu_eg
07-11-2016, 11:03 AM
The park number for the pressure sensor is 466440160

I assume its this one:
| Car PartsRetailer (http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Audi_A4_2.0_2002/p/Car-Parts/Engine-Parts/fuel-and-engine-management/engine-management-sensor/?466440160&1&558a8b3e21bf04a8c2c078b1576cd9454ca5234c&PRSE)

Crasher
07-11-2016, 06:38 PM
I can't use that ECP number to get the HAAS number and ECP often get things wrong, last week they sent me a pair of dampers and one was incorrectly marked up with THEIR sticker and the wrong part inside. When buying parts, especially from ECP, I am extremely careful as I do not trust some of the cheap crap they sell. The VW number for the switch is 038 919 081 K and when you put that into their trade system it gives the same part number 466440160 so it looks promising BUT in that situation I would have only fitted a genuine switch and now again I would only fit another genuine switch, because…… even genuine is not perfect! A few weeks ago we had a motor trader bring in a Golf 5 GTI with a faulty driver’s door lock. We quoted on it and got beaten down to a tight price (traders!) and ordered in a new lock from TPS. When it arrived one of our chaps striped the door down (which means removing the outer door skin), fitted the new lock, throughly tested it, rebuilt the door and checked it again-fine. A few hours later we came to move the car and the lock made an odd noise and started to play up like the old one. We stripped it down and checked everything and decided from the codes (the same as before) we had got it wrong and it must be the door control unit so we had to get permission to fit a new one and had to agree to do it labour free as he winged about misdiagnosis etc etc. The next day we fitted it, same problem! I spent the next six hours combing through everything, it checked out. In the end I ordered another door lock (if this did the same, we are not allowed by TPS to send them back) and next day I fitted it and it worked perfectly, plugged the other one in and it acted up. I took a closer look at the first unit and noticed the plastic section was a different colour so I got the box out the bin and it had an odd sticker on it. I phoned TPS and asked them what it meant and he said “ohh that’s put phut motors ordering code”. They had returned this lock three weeks earlier, when we took a closer look at the lock we realised it was an immaculately cleaned up original part, the *******’ s had fitted the new one and returned the old one for credit, which TPS are not supposed to do but they gave them ear ache, you know “we spend XX£’s a month with you blah blah”, personally I wanted to phone the Police and report a crime but it was not me who had been stolen from, I had just been shafted. TPS have so far refused to make up for the near two days we lost over that AND the bad faith with the customer.

stu_eg
07-11-2016, 08:41 PM
So to paraphrase...order an OEM one and try again!!