PDA

View Full Version : Are any new diesel engines on the way?

jonokimber
20-10-2007, 07:58 PM
Hello all. First post so please go easy. Tried to search for this but got nothing relevant so thought i'd post.

My colleague in Germany tells me that VW may be adding some new 'smoother', 'quieter' and generally more desirable engines to the VW diesel range.

I'm not so sure myself (maybe it has already been done) but thought i would ask if people on this forum could outline the recent history of diesel engines in VW passats regarding size, power, dpf, regulation compliance like Euro 4 and 5 etc.

I am looking to get a VW passat estate 2.0 140 SE as a company car and was wondering what may or may not be around the corner. Can someone perhaps be specific about this engine or if there is a choice of engines please help me out?

One of the reasons i am a bit confused and concerned is that when i go to www.arval.co.uk (http://www.arval.co.uk) and do an online ePCP (lease quote) i seem to get a few different choices of spec within the Passat Estate Diesel SE range such as 1.9tdi and 2.0 tdi. Soem are DPF and some are euro 4. They all show different co2 rates and combined mpg.

Please help me understand what they are all about. I do understand what the dpf is, but is it a completely different engine? Should i go for the Euro 4 for the 'best' engine? etc etc.

SE TDI DPF 1900 M 5 47.9 154 7
SE TDI DPF 2000 M 5 47.1 158 9
SE TDI (Euro 4) 1900 M 5 48.7 153 7
SE TDI (Euro 4) 2000 M 5 47.9 156 9

Thanks for any help in advance...

Jono